Author Topic: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND  (Read 26866 times)

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
Unit Pipe Trains on CIND
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »
Don't know if it's Honda related or not, but I saw several flat cars with loads of pipe green in color. Maybe 2 foot diameter. These were on the siding in North Bend Ohio, near the CSX connection. Funny thing was there was a single autorack car with them. Don't know why there would be an autorack car on the CIND there. Any ideas? It's going to be nice to see more of those.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: New Honda Plant update!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:14:48 AM »
Cheviot - interesting stuff, were the cars on a CIND siding or CSX?  Was it a conventional rack or articulated?
Maybe they would run a rack down the line to check clearances, or something at Honda?
As for the pipe, I think it is too small and too early to be related to REX.  No ideas on that one.

An article in the Greensburg Daily News, mostly on the railroad.  Sounds like more grade crossing work is coming to Decatur County.   They talk about a major increase in trains, but with the recent construction train activity, it may actually be a decrease.  ;)   http://www.greensburgdailynews.com/local/local_story_351204537.html

Since no one has mentioned it, I assume trains are still not running past Honda.  Are they still putting down ballast?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
The Pipe at Northbend IS for the REX Pipeline.  This is the first train of MANY from what I understand.  Pipe is bigger than Cheviot described - it's looks to be about 48" in diameter and 80' long.  Loaded on JTTX type 86' foot flats - looks like 5 (maybe 7) pieces per car.  And there is more than just a couple - stretches from CGB back past Lustran (Monsanto) - at least 25-30 cars.  These interchanged to CIND yesterday.  Not sure where pipe is going to unload - I've heard 3 different locations.  First is just west of Batesville, second is Adams, third is Waldron - just depends on who you talk to.  Adam's seems to be the front runner, but could end up multiple locations, so we'll see.  Not sure if this train will run prior to holidays or not. 

As for the REX pipeline, there are a lot of people in southeast Indiana in a total state of denial.  This IS happening - the only thing the protesting property owners (and chest thumping politicians) can do is negotiate price - they will not stop it.  Commercial pipelines are transportation/utility companies and have federal eminent domain power.  Unlike trying to use eminent domain to build a shopping mall, a project like this is EXACTLY what eminent domain laws are written for. 

Material for a sizable section of the line in eastern Indiana (60 miles is what I've heard) will come into storage yard(s) on CIND over the next several months.  Construction will start as soon as weather permits in the spring.  The only way the pipe shops can keep up with an order like this is to begin delivery now.     

As for the auto rack, it appeared to be a standard rack - not articulated.  It's either one of two things - First, it's for training and/or loading ramp installation at Honda, or second, it's just a buffer car on the pipe train.  My guess is buffer car, as you would prefer a long buffer car on a unit train of long cars and there are lots of racks parked right now with the automotive holiday shutdowns, but it could be for Honda.

Still not running west of Honda other than ballast trains.  Service is to resume "soon".   Lot of ballast dumped between Honda and Shelbyville, plus a lot more ballast has been dumped in various locations between Honda and Valley Jct.   Crew working on bolts/bars/etc. has there equipment tied up in siding at Morris - probably down until after first of year.  Also, there is a brush cutter working west.  They've hacked everything back from CP Oklahoma at Cincinnati, through Valley, past Anchor Glass at Greendale, but not yet to Perfect North Slopes. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:47:09 AM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
More on the pipe - it's my understanding that CIND bid out a dedicated job for this train.  It will run as unit to unloading site.  Crew will stay with train as it unloads directly off the main, repositioning train as each car unloads, run around empty train, and return empty to Cincinnati - no enroute local or m.o.w. work.  I've heard one to two trains per week for next 3 or so months.   Again, these are the rumors I've been hearing from several different sources.  The appearance of the first train nows seems to lend credibility to the rumors.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:45:56 PM »
Eleven pieces of pipe per car. Pipe is coming from Germany and is off loaded at Toledo. The I&O has been unloading the same pipe for REX line on the Midland Sub. 60 car trains with no buffer cars. Nice change of pace for the I&O's more boring operations. Pic is from Midland City on the I&O's former B&O Ohio Div main.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »
Unit pipe train through Batesville westbound at 0030 12/22/07.  After seeing pipe up close, it's is smaller and more densly loaded than I originally thought.  Looks to be 36 inch, in 70-80 foot sections, loaded 11 per car on PTTX 86ft pipe flats (non bulkhead equipped, unlike cars Midland pictured).   Line up is as follows - CEFX 9400 (Tunnel motor in full SP paint), 1 empty NOKL covered hopper (buffer car as required due to non bulkhead flats), 40 loads of pipe, another NOKL hopper and CFE 3886 bringing up markers.

I might be wrong, but I THINK the pipe currently on CIND and the pipe Midland pictured over of the Midland are for two different projects.  The CIND pipe is  for an interstate natural gas line (Rocky Mountain Express - REX), while the Midland pipe might be for a line linking a trunk line/terminal around Cincinnati with the Wilmington Airport which will be used to supply JET-A to the Wilmington Airport for DHL's hub.  However, I do believe that the Midland and possibly the Logan subs are slated for REX trains as well.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
Re: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »
Material yard is on Country Road 450 N between Adams and St Paul. Unloading started this morning.  As of 10 AM, there was a crew on train to keep repositioning as they unload.  Looks like they'll be able to do 3 or 4 cars at a time.  Would imagine train crew will cut crossing on 450, or possibly they take empties into St Paul while unloading continues.  Expect train to go back east as soon as empty - either tonight or tomorrow.  Attached is pic of train

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
Unloading area

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Unit Pipe Trains / More
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
Nice pics, thanks!

I'm positive that these are the same trains rolling by my house just west of Muncie.  As they go into town, they can turn south toward New Castle.  Unfortunately, all the loads have come by in the dark, with return trips of empty flat cars heading back by during daylight hours.

I'm assuming they are using this Marion-onto-the-Frankfort-line to avoid the tight turn in downtown Muncie by the East Yard.

Anyone want to confirm that???????

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
The curve at CP230 is tighter then at East Yard/Bath.

CIOR_CO

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 04:10:22 PM »
The CP 230 curve is 15mph and the one at Bath is 25mph
CIOR Conductor

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »
CP 230 was far more of an afterthought then anything I have seen on the railroad.
Although Bath is a big curve, its elevated and allows trains to roll around it.  I recall of 2 schnabel loads out of Westinghouse that came around there, and where far bigger then the pipe loads.
I was told CP230 had a few issues, one the diamond and the second being the 2 kinks in it on both sides of the diamond.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
Pipe is unloading slower than anticipated.  As of this afternoon, only 10 or so cars have been unloaded.  Imagine weather and soft ground is slowing them up.  The CFE GP38 off the east end of the train ran back light to Valley sometime late Sunday/Early Monday.  The SP tunnel motor from west end of train is now tied up in downtown St Paul.   Attached are a pic of the trucks unloading the pipe, one of the empty pipe flats, and the SP unit on display in St Paul.

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Pipe Trains Pics
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »
I got some pics of the infamous pipe train, finally!

NS 61Q got a track warrant for the Frankfort Line about 11:00 AM this morning (so that answers one item, as the loads are coming from the west and not down the Marion line).  Anyway, this is the first run that I've seen during daylight hours, even if this morning was a bit gloomy.

61Q had UP #5153 in the lead, then an empty autorack for protection (height, shape, etc.) and the loads.  Another autorack brings up the rear.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:14:57 PM by NSyorktown »

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »
Rich, where were these pics taken?
               Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 08:49:25 PM »
Rich, where were these pics taken?
               Christian

I'll give you 2 guesses, and the first doesn't count.  I'll also add, that looks familiar......     ;D
Its somewhere very very very close to Muncie..

NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Pipe Trains / More
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
Just west of Muncie on the Frankfort Line at mile post SP 179.4, between 500 West and the Jackson Street crossing in Cammack.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 08:22:31 AM »
Could this be relativly close to Yorktown? Just a guess..... ;D
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

CIOR_CO

• Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:59 AM »
I'll give you 2 guesses, and the first doesn't count.  I'll also add, that looks familiar......     ;D
Its somewhere very very very close to Muncie..

Dunreith?  CP Riley?? ;D
CIOR Conductor

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
Actually I do believe his Rural Route use to be Cammack.....LOL

CP-Riley, atleast you get a clear now.