Author Topic: 1876 Indianapolis Map  (Read 2005 times)

IndyHog

• President
1876 Indianapolis Map
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
Came across this 1876 map today. Shows all railroads and looks like some streetcars. Lot of interesting stuff. Like directly southwest of IUS sat a cemetery where Diamond Chain and IPL are. I had heard that this was a Civil War Confederate cemetery and the bodies were removed. A memorial to the dead is at Garfield Park on the southside of Indy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:24:24 PM by IndyHog »
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
Re: 1876 Indianapolis Map
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
Nice... it also confirms the location of at least one or two roundhouses and presents a few more that I don't think are in my list yet.  Thanks!

Is there anyway I can get a slightly better resolution image?
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Came across this 1876 map today. Shows all railroads and looks like some streetcars. Lot of interesting stuff. Like directly southwest of IUS sat a cemetery where Diamond Chain and IPL are. I had heard that this was a Civil War Confederate cemetery and the bodies were removed. A memorial to the dead is at Garfield Park on the southside of Indy.
Greenlawn Cemetery was the original city cemetery (or at least one of the first). It also served as one of the few city green spaces (typical 1800s practice). By the 1860s, it was already out of room, so some land was bought up north of the city--a lot of land actually--and that became Crown Hill Cemetery. Graves in Green Lawn were removed by families to Crown Hill and elsewhere. Any remaining graves that were not claimed were moved to Crown Hill in 1912/13. There is a pioneer section in Crown Hill where these graves now lie, along with some other pioneer cemeteries. More info: http://crownhillhf.org/docs/ThePioneerCemeteryatCrownHill.pdf

Greenlawn was then home to a professional baseball field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_League_Park

After the graves were completely moved, the city sold off the park/cemetery. New interurban freight depots, which were originally located behind the Traction Terminal but had become too busy to remain there, were built on the Greenlawn property just off of Kentucky Ave. Other industries also located there (I think Diamond Chain was just north of the edge of Greenlawn, but maybe it was in it).

I love how my history stories always involve trains :D
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
I bought a reproduction printing of the atlas that includes that particular map. Kinda amazing, really, to look at it, compared to what it is today, and how far you really didn't have to go to hit farmland.