Author Topic: New Albany Street Car Track.  (Read 1680 times)

xgap

• President
New Albany Street Car Track.
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
New Albany Street Car Track exposed in Main St construction near E 5th St.

Twitty

• President
Re: New Albany Street Car Track.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »
Is that the broad gauge that came over from Louisville?
“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.” ~ UNKNOWN

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
Nice photos.  Will any of the track be kept, or all scrapped?  We pulled up an intact slip switch in Ft. Wayne, and the Illinois Railway Museum sent a truck over to retrieve it for their electric system.

I'd also like to know if this is 5 ft. gauge.  I think it is.  According to Marlette, all track in New Albany was acquired by Interstate Public Service Co. in 1921, and then by the New Albany & Louisville Electric RR in 1933.  He says that NA&LE used 5 ft. gauge, but doesn't say if it was on the entire system or just on the bridge and in Louisville, which was 5 ft. gauge from the beginning.  The New Albany track was apparently standard gauge in the beginning.

Craig

xgap

• President
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
Where it has not been too disturbed it is 5'.

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
I talked to a guy who rode the street cars, and checked a couple of other sources. 

It appears that the track in Main St. between State and Vincennes Sts., and the track on the K&I Bridge was 5 ft., and all other track in New Albany was standard gauge.  The street cars and bridge cars met somewhere at the north end of the bridge.

Craig