Author Topic: Indiana whiskey  (Read 3937 times)

cbalducc

• Dispatcher
Indiana whiskey
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
There is a distillery in Lawrenceburg (or is it Greendale?) called MGP in the SE corner of Indiana.  There used to be a Schenley distillery down there, too.  Are you aware of any quality whiskey distilled there?

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: Indiana whiskey
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:58 PM »
In 1958 when my family moved from eastern Pennsylvania to Evansville Dad used US50 through the area in question. He told me the liquor was all made in Kentucky but stored in Indiana for tax reasons of some sort. Nothing to back that up but that's what he said. At that time all the buildings we saw looked like typical liquor storage buildings.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
MGP of Indiana is a wholly owned subsidiary of MGP Ingredients who owns and operates the old Seagrams Distillery.  Seagrams pretty much imploded due to serious corporate/ownership level mismanagement.  The beverage brands where sold off to Coca Cola, Pernod Ricard, and Diego, with Pernod Ricard ending up with Lawrenceburg. Pernod operated a while then sold to a company from Trinidad and Tobago who went bust, with MGP picking it up in 2011.   

MGP makes all sorts of alcohol under contract for lots of companies.  A list of the types they make in Lawrenceburg can be found under the Alcohol section of http://www.mgpingredients.com/product-list/

There is no publicly available official list of what brand names they make, but here is the latest list I can find from a food, wine, and whisky blog that shows what they make and who they make it for (in parenthesis)

4 Spirits Bourbon (4 Spirits)
 1888 Bourbon (Diversa Brands)
 99 Bottles Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
 Angel's Envy Rye (Louisville Distilling Co.)
 Backbone Bourbon (Crossroads Vitners/Strong Spirits)
 Barrell Bourbon (selected bottlings) & Rye
 Batch No. 12 Bourbon & Rye (Heritage Distilling)
 Big Ass Bourbon (Strong Spirits)
 Big Bottom Bourbon (Big Bottom)
 Big House Bourbon (Underdog Spirits)
 Big Y Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
 Bone Snapper Rye (Strong Spirits)
 Breaker Bourbon (Ascendant Spirits)
 Bulleit Rye (Diageo)
 Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve (Chattanooga Whiskey Co.)
 Clarion Blended Whiskey (Distilled Spirits Epicenter)
 Cleveland Rye Whiskey (Cleveland Whiskey)
 Coney Island Carlo Bourbon (Terresentia)
 Copper City Bourbon and Rye (Arizona Distilling Co.)
 Corn Star Corn Whiskey (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
 Cotton Hollow Rye (Cotton Hollow/Strong Spirits)
 Cougar Bourbon & Rye (Foster's)
 Filibuster Bourbon & Rye (M.S. Trading LP)
 George Dickel Rye (George Dickel)
 George Remus Bourbon & Rye (Queen City Whiskey/Strong Spirits)
 Henderson Rye (North Texas Distillers)
 High Liquors Bourbon & Rye (High Liquors)
 High West (an an element of many of their whiskeys blends)
 Homestead Bourbon (Homestead American whiskey)
 Hooker's House (some of their bourbons and their rye; Prohibition Spirits)
 J. Green Bourbon and Rye (Shadow Beverage Group)
 James E. Pepper 1776 Rye (James E. Pepper/Strong Spirits)
 Knotter Bourbon & Rye (Blaum Bros.)
 LeMont Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
 Mosswood American Light Whiskey (Mosswood Distillers)
 O.K.I. Bourbon (New Riff Distilling)
 Prichard's Rye (Prichard's)
 Redemption Bourbon & Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
 Riverboat Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
 Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey (Diageo)
 Single Track Rye (Range and River Distilling)
 Smokin' Joe's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
 Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, Rye and Corn Whiskey (Smooth Ambler)
 Smuggler's Notch Rye
 Spring Mill Bourbon (Heartland Distillers)
 Taos Lightning (KGB Spirits)
 Temperance Trader (Bull Run Distilling)
 Templeton Rye (Templeton)
 Temptation Bourbon (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
 The Saloon Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
 Tin Cup Whiskey (Proximo Spirits)
 WH Harrison Bourbon (Tipton Spirits)
 Willett Rye (Indiana ryes)
 Winghart's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)

Plant is rail served by CIND. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:54:46 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »
Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey (Diageo)

Hey! I've had that on a few occasions. Its got a kick to it.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:47 PM »
Bottom shelf young stuff
If in doubt, Notch it out!

cbalducc

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »
Rye is making a comeback after decades of near extinction.  Much of it is now distilled in L'burg.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »
Supposedly Segrams 7 and various Rye's for Diego are Lawrenceburg's biggest volume customer, followed closely by Neutral Grain Spirits that act as the base for a lot of  Pernod's "bottom shelf" gins and vodkas. 

Rail wise, facility is served 2 to 3 times per week by CIND.  As you come north out of the Fill Yard, first stop if the finished goods warehouse - 2 tracks go inside building, each track holds 10 box cars.  Don't think it's been used since MGP took over.  Next is Cooper Shop - this is a 2 car tank car spot just south of US 50.  This is for INBOUND alcohol that is bottled in Lawrenceburg, mostly Patron Tequila.  Just north of US 50 is Grave Yard - this is where MGP's trackmobile shoves loaded DDG cars and empty grain cars.  Next is Regage - this is 6 tank car spots for outbound alcohol loading.   Just north of the tank car rack is the still itself - as you head north, track on right is 5 Story and track on left is 10 Story.  5 Story is for inbound grain loads, 10 Story is outbound dried mash loads (a.k.a. DDG).  Very little grain comes in by rail - some malt, some rye, occasional wheat, and that about it.  Fair amount of the DDG goes out by rail. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
NPR had a report last week on the rye whiskey from this distillery: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/07/30/336584438/why-your-small-batch-whiskey-might-taste-a-lot-like-the-others

Many 'craft' whiskeys use this as their base.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
Hauling corn to GPC in Washington, IN(ISRR) and see a lot of distillery trucks from KY hauling out the alcohol. If its for ethanol, GPC puts a little gasoline in the load so it cannot be used for consumer purposes.  ;)

cbalducc

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
I bought some Bulleit Rye at the beginning of this month.  It doesn't taste any different from other whiskeys I drank. 

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
I read the comments that followed the linked article.  I tend to be of the opinion that IF you are going to buy white dog from a "supplier" like MGP and age and bottle it yourself that's fine, BUT I also believe in full disclosure, and the words "Blended, Aged and Bottled By" should be prominent on the package and the advertsing, to differentiate themselves from actual distillers.

Valley Junction

• Brakeman
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
Supposedly Segrams 7 and various Rye's for Diego are Lawrenceburg's biggest volume customer, followed closely by Neutral Grain Spirits that act as the base for a lot of  Pernod's "bottom shelf" gins and vodkas. 

Rail wise, facility is served 2 to 3 times per week by CIND.  As you come north out of the Fill Yard, first stop if the finished goods warehouse - 2 tracks go inside building, each track holds 10 box cars.  Don't think it's been used since MGP took over.  Next is Cooper Shop - this is a 2 car tank car spot just south of US 50.  This is for INBOUND alcohol that is bottled in Lawrenceburg, mostly Patron Tequila.  Just north of US 50 is Grave Yard - this is where MGP's trackmobile shoves loaded DDG cars and empty grain cars.  Next is Regage - this is 6 tank car spots for outbound alcohol loading.   Just north of the tank car rack is the still itself - as you head north, track on right is 5 Story and track on left is 10 Story.  5 Story is for inbound grain loads, 10 Story is outbound dried mash loads (a.k.a. DDG).  Very little grain comes in by rail - some malt, some rye, occasional wheat, and that about it.  Fair amount of the DDG goes out by rail.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I've run into this question from others and this reminded me of it. When heading North into Seagram's, the tall tower-like building is on your right. I always assumed that was what was known as "Ten Story", but I've heard from others that "Ten Story" is on the left. What's the dealio?

Thanks!

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I've run into this question from others and this reminded me of it. When heading North into Seagram's, the tall tower-like building is on your right. I always assumed that was what was known as "Ten Story", but I've heard from others that "Ten Story" is on the left. What's the dealio?

Thanks!

Damn good question.   The siding at the tall building was labeled 5 Story on Conrail's charts, etc CIND received on day 1.  The siding at the short build was labeled 10 Story.   We had an ex Conrail guy in the office at Lawrenceburg who swore the map/documents where mis-labeled.   That may very well be, but under CIND ownership, the grain unloading track at the tall build is 5 story, the DDG loading track a the short building is 10 story. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »
Too much sampling of their product prior to naming tracks?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Probably!

Heck, back in the early 90's, things we did would be unconscionable today.  An open bottle or two in the office.  Major holidays would usually  mean a present for the office staff and train crew.  Special moves, like repotting a car from one spot to another that would normally be chargeable where often not recorded because of presents that would occasionally be hidden under a switch stand for the crew man.  And that's TAME compared to some of the old heads stories from the 60s and 70s

Monon

• Conductor
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Probably!

Heck, back in the early 90's, things we did would be unconscionable today.  An open bottle or two in the office.  Major holidays would usually  mean a present for the office staff and train crew.  Special moves, like repotting a car from one spot to another that would normally be chargeable where often not recorded because of presents that would occasionally be hidden under a switch stand for the crew man.  And that's TAME compared to some of the old heads stories from the 60s and 70s
40 years ago, I heard an old head that worked on the PRR (I&V) tell about pulling a load of coal out of the train and spotting it on a siding outside of Indianapolis. They would then go back later and pick up the car and drop it at a local coal yard, selling it for cash to the owner.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Bear Wallow Distillery in Gnaw Bone is a great maker. They have a Rye (called Liars Bench) that is amazing.

T Alan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
 Our posts are always better understood to those unfamiliar with the area when the author adds photos. I think this post could be understood much better if he provided whiskey to sip while reading and re-reading the post.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
40 years ago, I heard an old head that worked on the PRR (I&V) tell about pulling a load of coal out of the train and spotting it on a siding outside of Indianapolis. They would then go back later and pick up the car and drop it at a local coal yard, selling it for cash to the owner.
  Employee benefits