Author Topic: Amtrak N Scale Auto Racks  (Read 806 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Amtrak N Scale Auto Racks
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
I Recently bought the Con Cor Auto Racks. Con Cor has put them out with Silver Freight Trucks. In all the Photos I have seen, I have Not seen any with Silver Trucks. I have the Kato Amtrak Auto Racks and they have the Black Trucks under them. Has anyone ever seen these Cars with Silver Trucks?

Trainman19

• Superintendent
Re: Amtrak N Scale Auto Racks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
The videos I've seen of the Auto Train show nothing silver around the wheels. KATO's representation is accurate. Con-Cor's isn't so accurate.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
I think I will give Con Cor a Call tomorrow and see if they will make their Auto Racks Right.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
Well today I called Con Cor and explained to them that I had all 9 of their Amtrak Auto Train Autoracks. I also explained to them that the Prototype Amtrak Auto Train Autoracks had Black Trucks under them and Not the Silver Trucks that they put on these Cars. Well as I figured that they would say, was we as Modelers are stuck with the Silver Trucks. You would think that the Folks at Con Cor would do their Research before doing a Freight Car so it is right. So either I stick with the Silver Trucks or I spend $6.25 Per Autorack and get the Right Trucks, Number 003 02-034 from Micro Trains so these Cars are Right. It is sad that I have to Spend an extra $56.25 just to make them match the rest of my Auto Train Cars from Kato.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
Well today I called Con Cor and explained to them that I had all 9 of their Amtrak Auto Train Autoracks. I also explained to them that the Prototype Amtrak Auto Train Autoracks had Black Trucks under them and Not the Silver Trucks that they put on these Cars. Well as I figured that they would say, was we as Modelers are stuck with the Silver Trucks. You would think that the Folks at Con Cor would do their Research before doing a Freight Car so it is right. So either I stick with the Silver Trucks or I spend $6.25 Per Autorack and get the Right Trucks, Number 003 02-034 from Micro Trains so these Cars are Right. It is sad that I have to Spend an extra $56.25 just to make them match the rest of my Auto Train Cars from Kato.

Paint em? Spend 3 bucks on a sparay can of something that matches the Kato trucks closely enough to please you, take them off, take the wheels out, lay them on some newspaper, and blast away.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the outcome is supposed to be. There's no way ConCor is handing out parts to rectify a non-issue. ConCor has never been trying to get it exactly right; this is a straight repaint of a freight car in a passenger car scheme that to them "looks right". The differences can be somewhat subtle (except the car ends) so its whatever.They're selling Amtrak trains, not brass. I've not seen silver trucks on ANY Amtrak car, be they autorack, or Superliner, but Con-Cor felt they looked better with silver than gunmetal.  Yeah, it would be nice if ConCor would've gotten the right shade, on the other hand, aska  UP guy about matching coaches. In HO, the yellow Walthers=/=Rapido=/=Kato=/=Rivarossi=/=Athearn. Uf trucks are the only issue, you're on the right track.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

JohnIII

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
Paint 'em.
Hauling Beer on the Beer Line in the 1960s
YouTube:  BeerLineModeler