Author Topic: Levithan to Pull a replica of a funeral Car over Class 1 Rail  (Read 5996 times)

MichiganRailfan

• Dispatcher
I just saw this was in the plans for next year and I thought I should post it. "Planned for 2015 is for the Leviathan to pull a replica of President Abraham Lincoln's funeral car from Washington, D.C., to Springfield, Ill."

Caleb

• Superintendent
Re: Levithan to Pull a replica of a funeral Car over Class 1 Rail
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
What lines would this be on in Indiana?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
They are going to TOUR from Washington DC to Springfield along the original route of the Funeral Train, plus 3 additonal cities yet to be determined.  This does not mean the entire trip will be by rail.  There WILL be a lot of rail movement, possibly even on some Class 1's,  but it will still be a pick it up and truck it to the next venue type operation.

Direct quote form their website

"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Train will follow the same dates from start to finish, starting in Washington, D.C. on April 21, 2015 and ending in Springfield, IL on May 2, 2015. Our route will take us through three other major cities along the way. (Those cities are yet to be determined.)   Unfortunately, due to modern-day train traffic and the inefficiencies of an 1800s train replica, we are unable to make the entire trip on rail."

So the train WILL be in Indianapolis April 30 to May 1 2015.  Where will be interesting to see.   Cincinnati is a major city along the way - I vote for a Cincinnati to Greensburg or Shelbyville or even all the way to Indianapolis by rail piece!  ;D
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

So the train WILL be in Indianapolis April 30 to May 1 2015.  Where will be interesting to see.   Cincinnati is a major city along the way - I vote for a Cincinnati to Greensburg or Shelbyville or even all the way to Indianapolis by rail piece!  ;D

I hope that thing has a good weedwacker attachment!
If in doubt, Notch it out!

wukka

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
Looks like the inaugural train went through Cincy, but skipped it during the funeral. That's a bummer. Would have been a twofer historically to have it roll through North Bend. I wonder if that's why Cincinnati was skipped on the funeral trip, due to the first US train robbery there in North Bend only 3 weeks earlier? (Providing my history is remotely correct... :) )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
The Funeral Train used some of the former Monon Michigan City Branch, but will have to truck most of it.LOL

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
Looks like the inaugural train went through Cincy, but skipped it during the funeral. That's a bummer. Would have been a twofer historically to have it roll through North Bend. I wonder if that's why Cincinnati was skipped on the funeral trip, due to the first US train robbery there in North Bend only 3 weeks earlier? (Providing my history is remotely correct... :) )
Correct, Lincoln went east via Cincinnati, but the city was skipped for the funeral train due to concern about southern sympathizers threatening the train.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
I'm hoping they come to Richmond because it was one of the stops along the way. The Depot is almost done being restored (granted it wasn't the depot that the funeral train actually went through) and there are plenty of places to run it in town for photos.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

MichiganRailfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »
They are going to TOUR from Washington DC to Springfield along the original route of the Funeral Train, plus 3 additonal cities yet to be determined.  This does not mean the entire trip will be by rail.  There WILL be a lot of rail movement, possibly even on some Class 1's,  but it will still be a pick it up and truck it to the next venue type operation.

Direct quote form their website

"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Train will follow the same dates from start to finish, starting in Washington, D.C. on April 21, 2015 and ending in Springfield, IL on May 2, 2015. Our route will take us through three other major cities along the way. (Those cities are yet to be determined.)   Unfortunately, due to modern-day train traffic and the inefficiencies of an 1800s train replica, we are unable to make the entire trip on rail."

I get what you mean now, I didnt really understand so I thought I should post about it on here to get a better answer

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
If i understand this right, the original route through indy was PRR from Richmond to Indy, then from Union Station it was the NYC, old alignment from union station?
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »
I was reading about the restoration of the Lincoln funeral car in Trains magazine June 2015 issue.The Lincoln funeral car is scheduled to be in Richmond INDIANA SEPTEMBER 26TH 2015

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
We plan on going over to see it. My Cousin is going to come up from Kentucky so she can see as well.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
I guess it is getting close to the date to be in Richmond,I am glad u brought it up because I forgot.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
The website says New Castle? Curious if it will actually move or just sit.

swinstandley

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
During the weekend of Labor Day, they'll be at The Bluegrass Railroad Museum in Versailles, Ky., between Lexington and Frankfort.
http://www.bluegrassrailroad.com/#/lincoln-steam-train/4589947559
Stew

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
Any more info about New Castle Indiana yet?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »
I don't mean to be a naysayer, but where does the Lincoln Funeral Train schedule as found at official site www.thosetrainpeople.com say they will be in Richmond or New Castle?  Like I said, I'm curious to know as only schedule I find shows following:

8/29, 8/30 - Spencer NC
9/5, 9/6. 9/7 - Versailles KY
9/10, 9/11, 9/12, 9/13 - Troy OH
9/18, 9/19, 9/20 - Francesville IN
10/2, 10/3, 10/4 - Dover OH
10/8, 10/9. 10/10. 10/11 - Hammond IN

Based on their pictures and videos, it appears than unless its going to somewhere like Spencer or Versailles where it will operate on museum trackage, they install panel track in a park or parking lot and it is a static display. 

The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
Ok that very site as of my posting it said New Castle TBA. Now it says Hammond TBA. I saw Richmond at one time as well. Not so much the fault of members here posting, but more so the disorganization of the group planning the events.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
What was wrong with taking it to Connersville at the Whitewater Valley Railroad Museum? It may not have been on the Route it took, But the People in South Eastern Indiana and Central Indiana could have seen it. Why should those of us in the Central and Southern part of the State have to drive 4 or more hours to see it. Makes no since.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 06:59:01 AM »
I read it in Trains magazine as i posted on June 2nd,if they are like any other reporters you probably ought to do the report yourself as well as the interview.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »
I've heard that $$$$ is the problem here.  Based on what I've been told, the group that has Levithan requires whomever is to static display or operate the train pay for the transportation and set up to bring train to town.  Once on display, the owners of the train split the admission fee (static display) or ticket (operate/rides) with the group sponsoring the event.  If this is correct, for the train to go to Whitewater Valley, Whitewater would have to pay to bring it in and would then have to split the proceeds with the train owner.    If true, its probably why some of the smaller venues that where announced at one point have pulled out - it would cost thousands up front, then split the pot, which may mean the town, civic organization, tourist line, etc would end up loosing money on what is supposed to be a fund raiser. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
Ok. Never thought about that happening.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
Me, My Wife, Cousin Christine and Mark Chambers made the trip to the Bluegrass Railroad Museum to day to see the Lincoln Funeral Car. We must say it was well worth the Trip. We had a good time and was Very Pleased with the Lincoln Funeral Car. If you can go down and see this Car in Versailles Ky, it will be well worth your time. It does Cost $5.00 Dollars to go through the Car and it is worth that. There is also a Cost to ride the Passenger Train as well. The Levithan is pulled out of the Depot and then pulls the 4 Passenger Cars back to the Depot. All I can say is WOW.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 01:55:22 PM »
Wonder if it would be a Money Problem for Noblesville to bring the Funeral Car and Levithan back up there for Rides behind the Steam Engine again, and to View the Lincoln Funeral Car and to sell Souvenirs for the Lincoln Funeral Car? That would be real nice to see again up there.

1gdog

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 07:39:57 AM »
Is the funeral train still coming to Hammond this weekend? I haven't heard a peep on here.

Gary
Armchair Modeler  PRR, GR&I, D&M

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »
It's in Hammond till Sunday at the Indiana Welcome Center on Corinne Drive and opened from 10am to 7pm(CST). I'm heading up today.

1gdog

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »
I plan to check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Gary
Armchair Modeler  PRR, GR&I, D&M