Author Topic: Logansport and Eel River Railroad  (Read 2182 times)

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
Logansport and Eel River Railroad
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:37 PM »
The L.E.R. has been out and about in the last week or so doing tie work to get their line back into useable condition. Their people were seen using their motorcar. This thing is neat. It has a eight clinder Ford flathead motor on it. And it will boot scoot and boogie down the track. Also had heard that their people had went to the Logansport Munisiple Utilities meeting last night to see about moving coal into the city of Logansport. Considering that their track ends at the plant. I guess the city once again shot them down. The city claims that it is cheaper for them to get their coal by truck. Also heard a rumor that the Ohio Central was willing to let them get their steam engine back if they so wanted it. :'(

LJ

• President
Re: Logansport and Eel River Railroad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
Logansport Municipal Utilities had another meeting with the L. & E.R. R.R. It sounds like they gave the shortline the option to bid for a future rail contract. The city this time took out a three year contract for their coal contracts by truck. Normally they get ten year contracts by truck. And so I guess they will wait and see. Meanwhile I had seen their workforce out setting spikes yesterday. So they are still trying to do a little bit of rehab to bring the line back to a respectable manner. And things are still moving slowly forward on that soy diesel plant that wants to take over the old Exide Battery plant. :)

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:15:50 PM »
Yesterday I noticed about a half dozen cars stored just west of the Garden Street crossing . First time I ever saw any activity on the line. I am guessing that these are cars for Cole Hardwood?

LJ

• President
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
No, these cars that are setting north of U.S.24 are in storage. The L. & E. R. has alot of empty track space. So they are now doing the same thing that the KBSR is doing and that is storing train cars to make money. There are boxcars on the interchange, but they are for Cole to send out as soon as he gets a big order to. The cars north of U.S.24 are articulated and have double stack containers on them.

craig berndt

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:05:40 PM »
Can someone take a photo of one of the coal container cars parked on the L&ER and either post it or email it to me?  A man described them to me yesterday, but I cannot get to LPort to look at one.

Any idea what company or purpose these cars serve?

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
Here is 1 from my camera phone, so sorry about the quality. Jay

LJ

• President
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
 :D The Logansport and Eel River has more cars coming in for storage next week providing their connecting railroad to the west dosen't loose them. Unfortunately there was some other cars lost in transit already. ;D

bn13814

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
:D The Logansport and Eel River has more cars coming in for storage next week providing their connecting railroad to the west dosen't loose them. Unfortunately there was some other cars lost in transit already. ;D

Those cars almost look like garbage containers loaded on spine cars. I saw some at the Hoosierlift October 7 when in the area for a reunion. I take it these cars are coming from the TP&W.

DPJ

LJ

• President
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »
Actually they are coming off of the CSX at La Fayette and the TPW is suppose to be delivering them. Providing they don't loose them like the other two batches of cars that were suppose to come in a month ago. The L.E.R. had a chance to store 200 tankcars. Unfortunately this line is not in a good area to store them. As long as the L.E.R. has a chance to make some money, that is all that matters.