Author Topic: Whitewater Valley RR  (Read 11568 times)

VGR

• Dispatcher
Whitewater Valley RR
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:02:21 AM »
With all the rail buffs here it would be nice if those associated with the WWVRR would let us know what is up with the line, updates and such. Anyone?

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
Re: Whitewater Valley RR
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
Thomas will be coming to Connersville from June 20, to 29. ;D

You could always go to whitewatervalleyrr.org and click "excursions" to find out about upcoming events. As far as maintenance, restorations, and such, you'll have to wait for others to chime in.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Not a lot really new lately.  New shop building last year enabling a lot of work on equipment, most of our wood cabooses have been resided and repainted, weekend trips to Metamora resumed May 1, Thomas the Tank will be here in June as he said, and Polar Express will be back in November with tickets on sale now.  The Friday night Trains to Dinner have been suspended due to closure of the restaurant.  Options for this are being explored.

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
ANY chance of ever seeing steam on this line again?

VGR

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
Wow, the restaurant in Laurel closed? Too bad, I wanted to try that out but glad to hear about the new shop building. Is it connected to the engine servicing building?

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:51:16 AM »
ANY chance of ever seeing steam on this line again?
As far as I know, they sometimes have a smaller engine trucked in (Flagg Coal Company, etc.)

NKPfan1

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »
As far as I know, they sometimes have a smaller engine trucked in (Flagg Coal Company, etc.)

That would be correct. They had one there two years ago.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:03:45 PM »
When did the Restaurant in Laural Close. When we were on the Caboose Train, I don't recall hearing that they were going to Close. They had Good Food, and the Prices were good too.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »
Not to change the subject, but from pictures, I know the Penn Central was still servicing customers on that line until or nearly until the line was turned over to the WWVR.  Who was the customer(s)?  Did they serve the customer that still is in Brookville?  Was the line served from both ends?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
A Connersville/Valley Jct turn ran until  late in Penn Central days - that job's primary mission was to move product out of Ford Phillco in Connersville.  It also served Lloyd Fry Roofing (now Owens Corning) at Brookville.   After selling Connersville to Metamora,  PC (and later CR) maintained an isolated operation at Connersville switching Ford and using N&W to bridge the cars to New Castle for them which lasted until Indiana High Rail leased the N&W line and purchased the CR operation.   The original Indiana and Ohio Railroad (INOH) purchased Brookville to Valley Jct I believe somewhere around Conrail day or shortly thereafter.  Today, only piece of this line that is missing is the 3 or 4 miles from end of WWVR east of Metamora to end of IORY at Owens Corning in Brookville
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »
Was the 3 or 4 missing miles taken out due to washouts?  It is an amazing scenic area down there, but I know the Whitewater can be a powerful river when flooded.

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
The Laurel Hotel Restaurant closed sometime in the past several weeks after the owner fell and broke her ankle.  I heard it is a serious break and may take longer than usual 6 weeks to heal.  The restaurant has been for sale for a year or more so it is not a given that it will reopen when she can come back.

PC had a derailment a mile north of Metamora in late 1972 and they chose to end operations north of Brookville at that time rather than repair the track.  When the Whitewater leased the line in 1973, they had to repair the damage before they could make their first runs in the fall of 1973.  The Whitewater operated from Connersville to Brookville for the 1974 season with the washout occurring 2 1/2 miles south of Metamora in the spring of 1975 and 7 miles of track was removed from 2 miles south of Metamora to Brookville.  The washout came from excessive water running into the canal which then overflowed over and through the ROW, not from the river itself.  This still occurs from time to time to a lesser extent.  I heard that in 1975 it would have taken $500,000 to repair the damage.

I think the roofing company is the only reason I&O operates the line to Brookville.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 07:39:08 AM »
Was there ever any online business at places like Laurel, say post WWII?

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
Not that I am aware of. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something using the RR 70 years ago.  There is an old siding there and there was a sawmill until recently.  I expect there might have been a grain elevator in the past.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »
Today, only piece of this line that is missing is the 3 or 4 miles from end of WWVR east of Metamora to end of IORY at Owens Corning in Brookville

Your forgetting one part. Albeit not an important part. Just north of Connersville, there's a place called Beesons where the NKP from New Castle to Connersville and the line in question connect. As many know, NKP used to have their own route into Connersville but some do not know that the Big Four used to continue north of here. It went to Milton, then Cambridge City, and then NE to Hagerstown where it (and the whitewater canal) ended. I think I heard somewhere that the predecessor to Big Four (also called the Whitewater Valley Railroad) used to take a single passenger car up this portion, where they handed it off to a predecessor of the PRR (now the NS New Castle District).

Not that I am aware of. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something using the RR 70 years ago.  There is an old siding there and there was a sawmill until recently.  I expect there might have been a grain elevator in the past.

I thought I heard somewhere that there was a turntable at Laurel a LONG time ago but I could be mistaken.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
What is the Chances of the Whitewater Valley putting  the Last 3-4 Miles of Track back in? That would make for a Longer Run on the Caboose Trains as well as for the Passenger Trains. Would give Folks a chance to see a Part of the Line that has never been seen before..

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
You have the money? If I recall, the section that is out is prone to washouts due to the close proximity of the Whitewater River. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »
I THINK there are 3 signigficant chunks of the right of way gone, fist one being a half mile or so from current end of WWVR track.  Beleive that was first washout and is why the WWVR currently ends where it does.  Several posts back Howard says it was esatiamted to cost $500,000 to repair that washout in 1975.  That's nearly $2.3 million in today's money.  In the nearly 4 decades since line's removal, I believe there is another large section near Franklin County Landfill that is missing, and another just outside of Brookville. 

The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
I'm told all the track from the end of the Whitewater Valley track 2 miles south of Metamora to Brookville was removed after the washout, not just those segments. 

Ownership of the ROW apparently reverted to the landowners after the rail removal.  A local group has built a trail on the ROW, but cannot get access to parts of it so the trail is not continuous.  It would likely take real big money to buy out those landowners to relay the rail.

rwadams

• President
  • CSX Indiana Subdivision
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
I believe that they are not talking about gaps in the rail.
The whole ROW has been washed out in several locations.

Rog :D
Just never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!