Author Topic: 'Big Four Hobbies Closing?  (Read 8922 times)

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
Re: 'Big Four Hobbies Closing?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
I ended up making five trips from Noblesville since I found out about the closing.  This morning we found it's almost all gone and after some discussion and planning, the family decided to buy the layout.  We decided to move our plans to the garage and the 8x16 that was in the shop is perfect and we got a pretty smoking deal!  Back in the HO game!

I went through the details and decals twice over and there is still a pretty good amount left.  Some great deals on engines is still to be had in the case with most premium under 90 bucks.  Book shelves have thinned. The buildings that were on the layout are all priced now.  Plenty of N scale as well.  Freight, plastic, paint all gone.  Some good passenger left.  Ask about the Christmas tree! You might get lucky.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
that is good to hear you bought the layout. Im going to have to head back in there to look again, i was hoping those engines would come down below 100 bucks. I hope their passenger cars have been marked down too.

Ive tested a few of my engines on that layout. You've got a nice one that is for sure.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
I paid only 200 bucks.  Bench work track and landscaping.  Now I can purge all my code 83 flex track and switches and will probably make a little money.  Jim at Train Exchange gave me a screaming deal on an Empire builder so here we go...  it'll be fun to see how I can migrate my industry and other scenery to the layout.  It was one of my favorite layouts in the first place and introduced me to the "skunk."  (Which I also bought!) 

Some really good engine deals still in the case.  If I only had a little more walkin' around money.   There is an Atlantic and Danville RS 32/36 that you can get me for my birthday!  Make offers on the stuff on the layout if Zach is there and it's his.  I scored some awesome Southern stuff off  there in addition to an Atlas Master Series NW SD35 for $40.00 and the "skunk" Atlas Silver for $50.00. (I know right? An Atlas DDC Master series for $40.00!!!!)  Somebody scored a roached conrail GP30 for $20.00 bucks.  Repair would have taken only a few minutes!

If its not too terrible a road trip I recommend you slide in.  He's putting final prices on stuff and getting ready to shut down.  He asked for me to have the layout out by the end of next Saturday.  I think that's the end of the show.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
That is great! Glad your back in the game, Spurs style!  ;)   Keep us posted how the layout comes along.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
Little hint, that "Final Price", is still the 40% off price. barb did those so people would stop fighting over the calculator.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
Little hint, that "Final Price", is still the 40% off price. barb did those so people would stop fighting over the calculator.
Is it possible to make a trip down there today?
KCS-The Only Original

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
Is it possible to make a trip down there today?

Far as I know
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »
As of 6 pm tonight, Big Four Hobbies Closed its doors for the Last Time. I'm sure several of use will miss the shop and we wish Zach the Best in his Ministry.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »
Still sad, hving grwn up in there, made more thwn a few friends. Zac gave me one last memento, and this is staying woth me if I ever go anywhere, but for now...

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
After what I heard about Horizon Hobby and New Shops Opening. I can see why Zack as a well Established Hobby Shop was Loosing Money. A Brand New Hobby Shop Must Order $30,000 Dollars in Athearn Product from Horizon on their First Order as a New Shop. That is a lot of money to have to start off with for just Athearn. Athearn as Many say is Way Over Priced as it.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
After what I heard about Horizon Hobby and New Shops Opening. I can see why Zack as a well Established Hobby Shop was Loosing Money. A Brand New Hobby Shop Must Order $30,000 Dollars in Athearn Product from Horizon on their First Order as a New Shop. That is a lot of money to have to start off with for just Athearn.

I guess I can see that another way.  That is to keep people from starting shops in their garages, listing items for barely over dealer cost, and forcing the established brick and mortar stores out of business.  Horizon, and I believe Walthers too (and plenty of others I'm sure), required you to have an actual 'storefront' before they would set you up with a dealer account.  They wanted a physical photo of your storefront, with address visible, and a copy of an ad placed in a Yellow Pages or some other directory.  On top of that they had minimum monthly orders to keep your dealer account.

Athearn as Many say is Way Over Priced as it.

That may be your opinion, but given how fast the products flew off the shelves as they came in, not sure everyone would agree with you.  It was the older stuff that languished on the shelves.

I wish Zach the best of luck.  I know he was always very involved in his Church, and it brought him a lot of joy.  They say find something you love, and do it.  I hope that his new en devours  bring him many years of happiness.

Practice Safe CSX

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »
Still sad, hving grwn up in there, made more thwn a few friends. Zac gave me one last memento, and this is staying woth me if I ever go anywhere, but for now...

Im late to this thread, forgive me...
As someone who knew Zach from when we both worked at another Indianapolis Hobby Icon, Tom Metzler's in the mid 90's...Zach and his zippy buick grand national took me on my first ever railfan trip (to Muncie) and taught me that long hood forward was "as God and the N&W intended." 
It's sad to see it go, but I understand the business end of things...and the reality is that with the manufactures wanting a larger piece of the pie, they cut out the middlemen(brick and mortar stores) since the hobbyists will buy it whatever it is from whoever has it.

Incidentally, I put most of the mainline track in on that layout you have there--when I was on the engineer's extraboard only working a few days a week, I worked for store credit at Big 4.  I helped build the trackwork on that layout...So, if there are any issues with the outside loop (not the figure eight over/under) you can look me up--I'll try to fix it!  :)

I, too, wish Zach and the rest of the gang nothing but the most success in the next chapter of this...
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »
Im late to this thread, forgive me...
As someone who knew Zach from when we both worked at another Indianapolis Hobby Icon, Tom Metzler's in the mid 90's...Zach and his zippy buick grand national took me on my first ever railfan trip (to Muncie) and taught me that long hood forward was "as God and the N&W intended." 
It's sad to see it go, but I understand the business end of things...and the reality is that with the manufactures wanting a larger piece of the pie, they cut out the middlemen(brick and mortar stores) since the hobbyists will buy it whatever it is from whoever has it.

Incidentally, I put most of the mainline track in on that layout you have there--when I was on the engineer's extraboard only working a few days a week, I worked for store credit at Big 4.  I helped build the trackwork on that layout...So, if there are any issues with the outside loop (not the figure eight over/under) you can look me up--I'll try to fix it!  :)

I, too, wish Zach and the rest of the gang nothing but the most success in the next chapter of this...

I will forward you to the topic regarding  the disposition of the layout, I beleive SOUfan ended up with it. I more ment the Truck...

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
I drove by there the other day and took a closer look at the sign. All these years i thought that was a toy engine. Turns out its been N&W 611 all this time, then it reminded me of Gordon,,,R.I.P. That engine will have special meaning to me now that the hobby shop is gone.

I'm glad i got to start a mail/passenger train set that I actually completed with a generic prototype PRR K4. They Keystone has grown on me since being a member of this forum. It was fun to start a new train there one last time. I sure did want to clean out their nyc/milw spine cars and all of their other passenger cars, though realistically that wasnt happening. Hope that got put to good use.

Im going to miss that shop. I had hopes of doing something in G scale a few more years down the road with them. Now that I think of it. I still have 2 or 3 engines that i can remember "testing" on that layout in there. Two were NS -8's with the old style cab. Got them off a coworker for 20 bucks unsure if they were working or not. I took them in there and they let me run them around. That sure was nice of them, though I had been a pretty loyal customer to them.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
I have restored power to the outside loop; now soldering cuts and gaps.  To move the layout we had to make two cuts down the width into 3 sections.  The bench work was pretty easy to move and reassemble.  I am using the existing bus to restore DC but taking the time to make sure everything is wired well enough for DCC.  I am making some modifications to the scenery and configuration to add some switching locations and incorporate the figure 8s into "town."  Engine shops with a sliding table will go where the small yard once was.  I'll post some pics when I've got it more cleaned up and I'm pretty proud to give it new life.