Author Topic: Modeling the Indianapolis Union Railroad  (Read 2878 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Modeling the Indianapolis Union Railroad
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Something that has me Baffled is that No One around Indianapolis has Modeled the Indianapolis Union Railroad.  Having Grown up in the Valley, The Belt Railroad served Many Class 1 Railroads. In Places the Belt was 4 Tracks Wide and Other Places 2 Tracks Wide and Ran from the North West Side of Indianapolis to the Far North East Side of Indianapolis. The Belt also Served the Indianapolis Union Station as well. I know it would take a lot of room to Model it, But I cannot for the Life of me Figure out why the Belt is not Modeled. The Railroads Served by the Belt were the B&O, NYC, PRR, IC, P&E, MONON, and NKP. So that would have made for a Great Switching Layout, Not Including all the Business that the Belt Switched. Just something to think about. Why has this Little Railroad Never been Modeled?

JohnIII

• Superintendent
Re: Modeling the Indianapolis Union Railroad
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
Go for it!
Hauling Beer on the Beer Line in the 1960s
YouTube:  BeerLineModeler

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
If I had the Room I would. The IURY Used 0-8-0 Steam Locomotives, H 10-44, H 12-44 and SW 1500 Diesel Locomotives along with Several Different  Types of Cabooses. It would be a Very Interesting Railroad to Model and Operate.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
Space is the binding issue, but if you had the room and room for multiple staging yards, yes, the IURY could be incredible for the number of run-through trains and local switching opportunities.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
I have a List of all the Industries that the IURY Switched. There were 330 Industries around the Belt on the IURY. That would be Something to Model if a Person had the Room, along with all the Railroads that they interchanged with.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
I have a List of all the Industries that the IURY Switched. There were 330 Industries around the Belt on the IURY.

Can you post that list here?  It would be very interesting to see.
Cheers, Al

PC 6561

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »
 I posted a question a wile back about the IURY, BUT with no luck.. but I don't believe it was on this forum. But I was wanting to build a modern IURY with NS track age rights threw Indianapolis instead of that un-safe and very un-friendly "CSX"RR.  I had in mind to use the track age rights that NS has out of cinncy ,Ohio up threw Richmond Indiana and take the road due west to Indy via the old Conrail line in stead of the line as it is now up to Muncie Indiana. Running this way would put CP-THORN back in service and would end up  in hawthorn yard. Then have the IURY do all switching for the Indy area and back to the yard. The last leg on the NS track age right would get them on to home track. Would be to go west out of the Hawthorn yard connect with the belt line and go north around the belt and up the old Indianapolis line at about 21st. street and Mass AVE.. Northward threw Castleton,  fishers and Alexandra Indiana JCT. to either Muncie Indiana to the east of that line or Frankfort to the west..  BUT THIS IS JUST STILL A DREAM MODEL RAILROAD TO ME.. :)
Thanks  M. Shirey

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
You would be using the OLD PRR from Richmond Indiana in to Hawthorn Yards from the East at Thorne Tower. As I read you want to Use the Belt around to 21st Street and connect back on the OLD New York Central at Mass Ave and Sherman Drive where the New York Central also had the Yards at Bright Wood. There was a lot of Business on the Belt that was Switched to the West as well. I would think that a Modern Day IURY Locomotive would be or could be GP 40-2s and Slugs or GP 38-2s. I do have a List of the Businesses that were on the Belt. Also you need to keep in mind that over the White River at the IC/INRD Connection that that was 4 Tracks from CP Dale all the way West to Oliver Ave and at CP Woods It went back to 2 Tracks and at the North of the New York Central CP 1 at the B&O It went back to Single Main.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
It was between 3-4 tracks wide from Belt Jct north to 21st street too. Mostly to serve the RCA complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC 6561

• Brakeman
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:39 AM »
 YES, that all is very true. My dad work at RCA for over 32 years before they pack up and left town.. From looking at a 1979 Conrail ZTS Indianapolis map there were a lot of different industry in the area and around the belt. I lived on 9th. street and were the belt crossed over at about M.P. 10.  I have seen a lot of different stuff go threw that section of the belt Railway.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:38:04 AM by NW8076 »
Thanks  M. Shirey

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
I will try to post the list tomorrow evening when I have some help doing it.

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
If you want to model the IU Rwy in the Trainz (TRS12) Railway Simulator, there topologically correct baseboards of the entire Indy area on the Download Station.  The railroads are even marked in cyan so you can start laying track immediately.

Also, somewhere, I have a small poster I bought at that train store that used to be in the basement of Union Station entitled "Industries Along the IU Railway."  If you're interested, reply to this and I'll see if I can find it, scan it, and post it.

-- Russ

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
Also, somewhere, I have a small poster I bought at that train store that used to be in the basement of Union Station entitled "Industries Along the IU Railway."  If you're interested, reply to this and I'll see if I can find it, scan it, and post it.

Yes, please. :)
Cheers, Al

gmlgemd

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 04:09:59 AM »
Larry, I think there was an "N" scale club that did model union station and some of the IURY track layout. Bill

PC 6561

• Brakeman
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:37:49 PM »
 I know this thred has not been posted in a wile but I had to share some more information for throughs intersted.. The new book I was talking about isout now. Indianapolis Union and belt railway by Jeffery Darbee.. I would suggest if you looing for a good book on indiana railroad history..
Thanks  M. Shirey

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
I have heard that the Photo's in the Book are Great. I have not seen it yet.

jamel95

• Brakeman
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
The Indianapolis Marion County Public Library has several copies of this book in their collection now. They may be available from your local library thru inter-library loan.

jamel95

• Brakeman
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
Wasn't the the Belt Railroad an actual Class 1 railroad.  I think it was part of the Stockyards ownership. The railroad was also part of the Union Station model I think. The unified freight rate required a lot of shuffling of freight and made the Union RR pretty successful, right?

Something that has me Baffled is that No One around Indianapolis has Modeled the Indianapolis Union Railroad.  Having Grown up in the Valley, The Belt Railroad served Many Class 1 Railroads. In Places the Belt was 4 Tracks Wide and Other Places 2 Tracks Wide and Ran from the North West Side of Indianapolis to the Far North East Side of Indianapolis. The Belt also Served the Indianapolis Union Station as well. I know it would take a lot of room to Model it, But I cannot for the Life of me Figure out why the Belt is not Modeled. The Railroads Served by the Belt were the B&O, NYC, PRR, IC, P&E, MONON, and NKP. So that would have made for a Great Switching Layout, Not Including all the Business that the Belt Switched. Just something to think about. Why has this Little Railroad Never been Modeled?

jamel95

• Brakeman
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
I have heard that the Photo's in the Book are Great. I have not seen it yet.

Picked up a copy from the library, yes, there are great photos of motive power, cabooses and ROW structures. Maps while quite detailed are a little lacking in blow up details.

Also, I was disappointed (only a little, the book is great) in the lack of reporting on Kingan and the relationship with IURR. I was hoping for a track plan of Kingan shops. But that is probably another book! I hope.

Does anyone know / remember what color these crummies were painted?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:38:27 PM by jamel95 »

PC 6561

• Brakeman
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
Picked up a copy from the library, yes, there are great photos of motive power, cabooses and ROW structures. Maps while quite detailed are a little lacking in blow up details.

Also, I was disappointed (only a little, the book is great) in the lack of reporting on Kingan and the relationship with IURR. I was hoping for a track plan of Kingan shops. But that is probably another book! I hope.

Does anyone know / remember what color these crummies were painted?

If i had to make a safe guess it would be boxcar red..i have seen a few in that paint. I have also seen one red with white lettering for the IURY.
Thanks  M. Shirey

jamel95

• Brakeman
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
thanks, in B&W they  both look quite the same. I have seen later ones painted green (the steel cars) but not seen an early one in color.

gmlgemd

• Fireman
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 01:40:32 AM »
I bought the new book on the Indianapolis Railway, and it's a very good book. Just wish they covered more on the locomotive fleet with photos and on the IURY 200! I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED the book!!!