Author Topic: FWRHS announces spring summer 2014 trips  (Read 6623 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
FWRHS announces spring summer 2014 trips
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
The Fort Wayne RR Historical Society has announced their spring/summer excursion schedule, including public excursions to Fort Wayne from Detroit, July 12/13 (bringing people to the Three Rivers Festival!). In Fort Wayne, the train will use the former NKP depot elevated platform, downtown.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2014-21st-century-steam-with-steam-locomotive-765/

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:15:03 PM by indrr »
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

nathansixchime

• Fireman
Re: FWRHS announces spring summer 2014 trips
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
Nathan,

These are Detroit - Fort Wayne roundtrips only, using the elevated station.

KL
Kelly Lynch

Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
www.fortwaynerailroad.org

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Having 765 show up on the elevation during opeing weekend of the Three Rivers Festival should garner LOTS of attention for the FWRHS.  I would reccomend some BIG banners to let EVERYONE at the festival know who is responsible for making it all happen. Here's to hoping that can be leveraged into greater opportunities going forward.  A BIG performer on a big stage, where it belongs. Guys, use that whistle liberally to let the whole city know the boss is back in town! :)

As a side note, just curious what kind of condition the stairs and other areas of the old elevation platform are in from being shut up for so long, and wondering what the plan is to turn the train for the return trip?  It's a shame the wye at Runnion is gone  That would have been perfect.

nathansixchime

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree, Bob.
Kelly Lynch

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
The wye at Runnion was left in-place when I did the re-route work at Junction.  There was a short stub beside Paula's Seafood on Main St.  IINM it would be long enough for 765, but not much else.  Did NS remove the remaining tail?
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
One leg of it has since been pulled up.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

nathansixchime

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
The elevated platform is in decent shape. We'll be cleaning up the stairs and walkways prior to the operation. The engine will turn during the layover -- the train will stay on the platform during that time.

Mike, if you or anyone else has any additional information about Runnion Avenue or West Wayne (photos, maps, etc) I would be very interested in them for the following reasons...

http://headwatersjunction.com/summary-of-river-and-rail-possibilities/
http://headwatersjunction.com/west-wayne/
Kelly Lynch

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the direction of travel Kelly.

As I recall, the platforms have escalators in them. Back in the 80s, they had been turned off and just used as stairs.

Where will boarding be in Detroit?
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

nathansixchime

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Allen Park, MI.

The escalators are in the middle of the elevation and there are fixed. stairs are on the north side.
Kelly Lynch

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »
Once again, nothing I can see. But at least they are going north and not east/west like most of the trips before. Will they be doing Fall trips this year? If so, I suspect they'll be announced in mid summer?
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

nathansixchime

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »
At the link it says we'll be announcing the late summer and fall trips later in the year. By the time these wrap up in July, we'll probably have more announcements -- maybe even in the next 2-3 weeks.
Kelly Lynch

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 04:12:50 PM »
Don't expect the New Castle unless somehow CSX in Cinci has a change of heart.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
Don't expect the New Castle unless somehow CSX in Cinci has a change of heart.

I've always thought that CSX wouldn't care. It's a short stretch from New River to Butler street and they have such a good agreement with NS on the directional running that it just seems like they wouldn't mind. Does NS have to tell CSX about every new train that they run through that area? It seems like CSX would just treat it like any other NS train and be done with it. Maybe I'm wrong...

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Two thoughts on this... first off, if I were in a position at NS to make the decision, I would either TELL (not ask) CSX that I will be running it across that portion or just do it without mention. My trackage rights, my trains. I'm sure a few CSX guys will jump me for it but... I'm NS and no blue and gold is going to tell me what I can put on my trains.

Second, 765 has never been closer than 1 hour for me, and most times I've driven 3-4 hours to reach the START point of a chase, let alone driving even further away after the trip starts. So it's not going by my house either. Lots of people drive to see it. So sorry if it sounds harsh, but the "it isn't coming to my town" is starting to wear on me.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »

Second, 765 has never been closer than 1 hour for me, and most times I've driven 3-4 hours to reach the START point of a chase, let alone driving even further away after the trip starts. So it's not going by my house either. Lots of people drive to see it. So sorry if it sounds harsh, but the "it isn't coming to my town" is starting to wear on me.

Unfortunately I don't drive due to disabilities and my dad's always so busy that he's rarely able to go more than 70 miles for a railfanning trip. It's unfortunate but our boundaries always seem to be, Indy, Muncie, Carlisle, OH, and Hamilton, OH. We're lucky to even get that far. Fostoria's been a dream for years now but I don't think it'll happen for a long time. I don't mean to sound whiny or anything. I just know there are probably other railfans in my predicament that would love to see 765 as well. I'm not mad at NS or FWRHS for not sending it down here. It's just frustrating, to have the setbacks I have.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »
// if I were in a position at NS to make the decision, I would either TELL (not ask) CSX that I will be running it across that portion or just do it without mention. My trackage rights, my trains. I'm sure a few CSX guys will jump me for it but... I'm NS and no blue and gold is going to tell me what I can put on my trains.

Come on now, you know it's not that easy.  I'm not a CSXT guy jumping you, I'm just saying it all depends on what NS has agreed to with CSXT.  If NS has signed a trackage rights agreement with CSXT that specifically prohibits excursion trains, that is a legally binding contract.  You can't just damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead and do it anyway.  If you don't want to honor that contract, what other contracts do you want to ignore as well?

Now with that said, PRIOR to the directional running agreement, the original agreements between PRR and B&O between Butler St and New River had no such restriction on them, nor did any of the agreements from NA Tower down to Queensgate.  So unless something changed with the directional running agreement, NS should be able to run trips north out of Cincinnati via both the New Castle and Dayton districts, although they may not be able to take advantage of the direction running piece south of Hamilton on the CSX side

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:20:26 AM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 02:50:04 AM »
So let's assume there is nothing in the contract. Knowing how CSX is, I would definitely take the "easier to ask for forgiveness" route. And CSX would likely forgive because without the agreement, the Toledo side would melt down South of Hamilton I'm sure.

Surely nobody can tell what I think about CSX's policy  ;)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »
Obviously, the FWRHS will run the 765 where ever they can. If a trip down the NCD is desired and feasible, they will. If not, they won't. So no need to argue over things that they have/are already looking at--unless you have some sort of inside position to make things feasible, grease the wheel that is. And if you did, you wouldn't be saying anything publicly.

Now back to the announced trips.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster

MichiganRailfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
Honestly, im gonna try to get down to see the run from Elkhart to Bryan, and maybe the Detroit Arrow on the 13th to chase, I hope more plans have yet to come!

UPkid

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
Question,  I have a friend coming into town from Grand Island Nebraska on the May 15th, and will be here through the 19th.. He would really like to see 765. does anybody know if it will be running or not.. I have not seen any update on moves or if will be back in Ft Wayne at that time..

Thanks,
What I would do, to be in North Platte, seeing 150 + Union Pacific trains a day... Also a fan of the INRD...