Author Topic: Peru and Indianapolis History and documents  (Read 2603 times)

1954mgtf

• Brakeman
Peru and Indianapolis History and documents
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »

Just joined this site and not sure how to post, but figuring it out. I need suggestions on a person who might be able to point me in the right direction or person who can tell me if any employee archives exist so I can trace my first Irish ancestor roots.

My reason for joining is to find info or someone who can point me in the right direction if there even is one. My Great Great Grandfather James Murphy came from Ireland to Indiana to work on the railroad I surmise. He was born about 1825 -1834 depending on whether to believe the census or his obit. He married Elizabeth Cloud of Noblesville in December of 1859. The 1860 census shows him living in Tipton and 1870 in Noblesville. His obit says he was a section or line boss on the Peru ad Indianapolis railroad and he died suddenly in 1877 leaving a widow and 7 kids. The 1880 census has them in Peru, and they moved at some point to Logansport where she died and the three boys worked for the railroad. I know my Great Grandfather Edward C Murphy wrote a nice poem about the life of a railroader and it was published in Tipton. He later became an Indianapolis policeman.

My long-winded point, is that I know very little about James Murphy. I have heard that at the ports in the east they gave transportation to Irishmen to Indiana to work on the railroad. I am looking for a historian or anyone who can tell me if any info exists on the employees of the P&I, later the Indianapolis, Peru and Chicago Railroad. This is an effort to learn anything at all about him. Please forward to anyone who might be able to help or point me in a direction or archives. Thanks so much, Keith Murphy

Garry Tidler

• Engineer
  • Landline Telegraph
Re: Peru and Indianapolis History and documents
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
Hi Kieth

Not sure I can be much help
I live in Tipton County and I am working on my Genology. One of my great grandmother was married to a man who worked on the Indy - Peru Railroad. I have a picture of stock of that railroad posted on this site:

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=1503.msg8524#msg8524

There were a lot of Murphy's around Tipton and a lot of them worked on the Railroad.
I will check with the Tipton Historical Society to see what the they have on the Indy - Peru Railroad. I would like to see that poem about a railroader. My email is gtidler@hotmail.com