Author Topic: Steam on the ITM  (Read 10630 times)

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
Re: Steam on the ITM
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:32 AM »
Does anyone know where this thing will be "unloaded" at? One source says down by the fairgrounds, another says at Fishers.
Neither of those.  It will be unloaded in Noblesville as it must be stored overnight and fueled there.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 08:08:09 AM »

At ITM the Leviathan #63 will be pulling the train northbound (departing Fishers) on Saturday and southbound (arriving Fishers) on Sunday.  The train will be chased by ITM's 1942 SW-1 #50, which will couple-up to the rear of the Flagler Car to pull the train the opposite direction.  This is necessary because of the distance of the trip and the number of busy road crossings that the train will be operating over, much too far for a safe shove-move.

I'd chase just to see the 50 in action. Don't care too much for the little 4-4-0.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:22 AM »

At ITM the Leviathan #63 will be pulling the train northbound (departing Fishers) on Saturday and southbound (arriving Fishers) on Sunday.  The train will be chased by ITM's 1942 SW-1 #50, which will couple-up to the rear of the Flagler Car to pull the train the opposite direction.  This is necessary because of the distance of the trip and the number of busy road crossings that the train will be operating over, much too far for a safe shove-move.

So just so I have it clear:

The trips for Sunday will be

10am
12pm
2pm
4pm and
6pm

Since all the trips START at Fishers, and the Leviathan will be leading south, does that mean that the 10am trip on Sunday will be lead by the SW7 on the way up? Or do I have it wrong in that maybe the trips start at Noblesville on Sunday? Also, how long is it between Fishers and Noblesville going north AND south on the rails? Thanks!
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
Where is a Good Place to take Pictures and Video of the Train.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
Where is a Good Place to take Pictures and Video of the Train.

I would definitely find a place along the streetrun in Noblesville for one. Best day for that would be Sunday since it will e pulling south.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
I would definitely find a place along the streetrun in Noblesville for one. Best day for that would be Sunday since it will e pulling south.
And raining from what I see.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
We are planing on getting him on Saturday Morning. We are also wanting to get Pictures of the NKP F Unit as well while we are up there.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »
And raining from what I see.

There will be rain Sunday night. Not during the afternoon. Plus this is Indiana. The forecast will probably change 5 more times before then.

• Mogul
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
I've heard rumblimgs that it will not face South at all. Any truth to that?

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
That is absolutely a bonehead move. Evidently no one involved with the loco knows anything about photography....
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

• Mogul
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
That is absolutely a bonehead move. Evidently no one involved with the loco knows anything about photography....
Or pricing. I don't think you can pin any of this on the museum, but it's a shame people without deep pockets won't be able to enjoy a fun weekend.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »

If that should happen (no Leviathan on the south end) perhaps no one other than railfans will be too broken-hearted. Those who only take pictures probably don't contribute much to the finances of ITM or the Leviathan group. (Let the flames burn.) The prices will keep many people away but there probably aren't a lot of seats available in an "open car" and the Flagler car.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I guess I dont see why it would be any more difficult to have the engine be on the south end than it is for it to run north... Also, I think its railfans that make the museum exist and survive....... ::)
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
. Also, I think its railfans that make the museum exist and survive....... ::)

I'm not so sure about that.  Not to start a flame war, not to sound like an anti-gerf, and not to sound like an old fart, but in my collage days I had opportunity to work some of the NS Steam Specials behind 611 and 1218.  Granted, this was before many of you where born, but the folks that purchased the tickets and spent money in the concessions car where at most casual railfans. More often they where families where the father (or mother) had some interest in trains and was introducing the "hobby" to their kids or reliving their own youth.  The people who considered themselves big "railfans" and where worried about which way the engine faced, and why is the diesel tagging along and ruining my shot, etc., etc. where very close with the coin and rarely parted with it with the sponsor/museum.  Granted this was 26-27 years ago and while I haven't been deeply involved in organized excursions/museums since I turned railroading into a career, my observations is that a museum, be it ITM or Whitewater, or whomever, may exist because of railfans, but certainly does not survive on railfans.  Just my opinion. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »
I guess I dont see why it would be any more difficult to have the engine be on the south end than it is for it to run north... Also, I think its railfans that make the museum exist and survive....... ::)

We do not yet know for a fact that the loco will be on the north end only. Perhaps Bourdon Boy will weigh in. However, which direction it heads might be a function of how Leviathan is loaded on its trailer and where it can be unloaded.

Railfans brought ITM into existence and most of those that keep it running are railfans to some extent. Railfans don't pay the bills - passengers do. Of the thousands of passengers that pay the bills probably very few consider themselves "fans." Of the thousands (?) of railfans in central Indiana how many rode any ITM trains last year or wrote a check to help support their efforts? I really don't mean for this to devolve into another argument about ITM. Just understand that this is probably mostly a fundraiser for the two organizations.

Scraphauler said it well while I was typing my reply.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:50:08 PM by Ralph »

• Mogul
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
If that should happen (no Leviathan on the south end) perhaps no one other than railfans will be too broken-hearted. Those who only take pictures probably don't contribute much to the finances of ITM or the Leviathan group. (Let the flames burn.) The prices will keep many people away but there probably aren't a lot of seats available in an "open car" and the Flagler car.

I have to say I strongly dislike your defense of the situation(s). I am a fan, and I photograph lots of special moves. When I get the chance, I also ride. If I don't ride, I purchase from the gift shop to support, join the membership, or set up a recurring donation, 4 instances of the latter 2 are active for me right now. But if that doesn't pay the bills, I'll be happy to keep my money. The people in charge have priced themselves out of a lot of people I'm sure, and I will also most likely be one of those who photograph only. And to take an attitude of "screw the foamers"... well I'm not required to donate so I won't. No railfan friendly environment, no enjoyment, which means I feel no need to donate. I know lots of people that chase big steam and then donate, and as I said, I am one of those. But I'm only as friendly as the group I'm following. As far as the fundraiser aspect, I'm sure ticket sales would be a lot better with a slightly lower price. As I said before, the FEC 90 price is about what I'd pay for a mainline trip, not a 15mph one hour ride with a diesel pulling one way. Sorry if that's too harsh, but you really struck a nerve with your anti-railfan speech.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
My thoughts on the whole thing are that if the tickets were even half the cost, you'd get way more riders. I understand the limited space but does that really matter if only a few people can afford to pay or are willing to pay that much? I'm hoping you guys fill those seats because that would be a fantastic amount of money to support the cause but, with those prices, I don't think many will come (to ride).

Unfortunately, with the situation my family's in, we're doing good just getting there. Even if the tickets were cheaper, we still have to factor in gas and meals so we wouldn't ride either way.

With all that said, we will be chasing, and I will be filming and since I can't afford to donate or buy a ticket, I will give the museum and the people bringing the locomotive in, all the credit I can in my video. Taking video and putting it out there on YouTube makes me not feel as bad for not paying because I know hundreds of people will see it and get interested in it. The more who are interested, the more you'll have supporting the cause.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »
We do not yet know for a fact that the loco will be on the north end only. Perhaps Bourdon Boy will weigh in. However, which direction it heads might be a function of how Leviathan is loaded on its trailer and where it can be unloaded.

I guess I dont see why it would be any more difficult to have the engine be on the south end than it is for it to run north

The decision of whether or not to turn the consist for the Sunday trips is more a function of the topography of that part of the line (the Wellington hill and curve), will the crew run out of time (Hours of Service law) before being able to finish wyeing the train on Saturday night, is Leviathan's headlight bright enough to meet the requirements for after-dark operation during such a maneuver, etc.  Guys, there are just so many other factors in decisions like this beyond what's best for photography/videography.  We will do the best we can to please everybody.

The situation about the high ticket prices was addressed earlier in this thread.  The vast majority of the income generated will go to the Lincoln Funeral Train organization, not ITM.   We are simply hosting a fund-raiser that happens to include opportunities for education and a ride.  It was fascinating to see how many people stopped by the unloading site today to ask questions, take photos, etc. (due to a schedule change by the Leviathan folks, it was delivered in Noblesville earlier than expected).

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:37 AM »
Let me toss in my philosophical grenade....

Why can't the "railfans that keep the museum alive" just be happy that there is live steam running on ITM? So you won't get the prettiest picture... big whoop.  At least you'll have a picture, rather than it not being there at all to see, record, or experience.

I'm a railfan, and my wife and I are planning on possibly going to the museum on Sunday.  But we're going not because I'm a railfan, but because we think our 5-year old niece would like it.  I agree with Scrap and Ralph that there are probably just as many if not more families with one railfan that want to share the experience with their kids than there are pure railfans riding.  If I do end up getting tickets, it's more to take my wife on her first steam ride than for me.  Heck, I've been on enough steam trips as it is.  If someone really wants to ride it, then the price won't bother them.

But thanks again to everybody getting bent out of shape on what direction Leviathan is facing for reminding me how much I dislike chasing steam now....

Rant over.  Flame on...

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
Would Lucius Beebe have complained about the direction of the engine? I doubt it.

And I doubt any of you is Lucius Beebe.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.