Author Topic: Steam on the ITM  (Read 10632 times)

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: Steam on the ITM
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
If it were up to me I'd run it all the way South at least once just for the different photo ops. And let's pray they put it on the South end of the train so it'll have proper lighting for photos.

Would the track south of 38th St support a train anymore? Ties are rotten as Hell down that way

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
Would the track south of 38th St support a train anymore? Ties are rotten as Hell down that way
Immediately south of 38th, yes, as the siding can be used for runaround moves.

Besides, the engine and tender are 44 tons (10 tons lighter than ITM's ATSF passenger cars), and 4-4-0s were capable of tracking on crappy pioneer tracks, so it might do pretty well.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
I didn't necessarily mean that but since Nathan mentioned it, Sutherland would be cool. Probably have to dig the flange ways out first. And I can tell you for a fact that nothing will go past 30th anyway since one of the rails in the crossing is gone.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
That engine is SWEET!!!! Too bad they dont have some old western coaches to go along with it..

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Immediately south of 38th, yes, as the siding can be used for runaround moves.

Besides, the engine and tender are 44 tons (10 tons lighter than ITM's ATSF passenger cars), and 4-4-0s were capable of tracking on crappy pioneer tracks, so it might do pretty well.

There is a broken rail on the Sutherland siding as well, but they were able to still use it as a runaround for the photo-freight.  30th street crossing is toast.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
If it were up to me I'd run it all the way South at least once just for the different photo ops. And let's pray they put it on the South end of the train so it'll have proper lighting for photos.

That's a pretty safe bet considering the platform at Fishers is on the South End
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
About how many cars will be used? Will they need a diesel on the other end or will they push? If they use a diesel, I think they should put the Leviathan on the south end so they can run the "NKP" F7 on the other. That would also be best for showing the Leviathan off to new passengers as it would be the locomotive pulling into the station.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »
Any more news on this?

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
Any more news on this?

Listed on the ITM website: www.itm.org

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
Listed on the ITM website: www.itm.org

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to look there...

• Mogul
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Boy, are those prices steep. That FEC price is along the lines of what I'd pay for a mainline day-long ride. I've got a feeling there will be a lot of would-be riders turned chasers on this one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:40:08 AM by 1976 »

• Mogul
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
Also, what would the "open air car" option be?

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »
Also, what would the "open air car" option be?

Its a flatcar, or it is right now. DS50 went to fetch it from Cicero last weekend to be "retrofit" ;)

I agree, the prices are high. I wonder if that's Leviathan setting them though and not ITM
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
if i remember right, this engine has been on the road quite a bit. Over weight/size permits, can only run daylight hours, hotels, special routing for complying with bridge weight limits. All those factors together would probably be why the prices are so high. Its not like it always sits at ITM's shed.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
So will there be a diesel towing the train for backing up? Fishers to Noblesville or vice versa is a long time to be pushing the consist let alone through all those busy crossings.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 02:36:01 AM »
if i remember right, this engine has been on the road quite a bit. Over weight/size permits, can only run daylight hours, hotels, special routing for complying with bridge weight limits. All those factors together would probably be why the prices are so high. Its not like it always sits at ITM's shed.

Oh, absolutely, I should've reworded, I understnad why it's as high as it is ust as the trips behind mainline stars are ustifiably pricey, just tha I don't have 280 dollars to drop on a pair of Flag tickets, and by the same token, I worry about pricing themselves out of market, even by neccesity.
So will there be a diesel towing the train for backing up? Fishers to Noblesville or vice versa is a long time to be pushing the consist let alone through all those busy crossings.
Haven't heard, yet. More than likey though, or what they might do is "trail". When, by request, the 1 goes to Tipton with a paid charter, he south end diesel will run along behind the train by a few minutes so the Observation Deck is not obstructed by twelve feet of Geep hood. Wouldn' even be surprised if they do it with 50 if that's the only diesel de-thawed. They've run her bfore the distance to move cars during Fairtrain, but that's a hard road for an engine that can be VERY sensitive to dynamiting the air. Or so I'm told.

• Mogul
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:03 AM »
Tickets for the Ohio trips this weekend are $20. The price at ITM is borderline 765 on the mainline range. Open car at $40, maybe a tad much, but I'd say $75 for the FEC 90 would be plenty, especially for having to share with other people.  $125 and you're asking for me to not ride at all.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
The ticket prices were set by the Leviathan group in consultation with ITM.  It it important to remember that: (1) these trips are mainly a fund-raiser for the completion of the Lincoln Funeral Car, which will travel next year with Leviathan to celebrate the 150th anniversary of President Lincoln's assassination; (2) there are significant costs in building and maintaining both the Leviathan and the funeral car, which must be funded somehow; (3) the trips at ITM will be 15 miles and will include street-running in Noblesville (on brand-new track, by the way) whereas the Wellington Ohio RR museum has only 6 total miles of operable track and probably no street-running; (4) the FEC#90 "Flagler Car" is an extremely special and luxurious piece of historic equipment, built in 1895 with no expense spared; (5) additional costs which must be borne somehow include: transporting the Leviathan, support vehicles and its crew to ITM; providing lodging for its crew; heightened insurance costs for hosting steam; and of course, locomotive water & fuel.

At ITM the Leviathan #63 will be pulling the train northbound (departing Fishers) on Saturday and southbound (arriving Fishers) on Sunday.  The train will be chased by ITM's 1942 SW-1 #50, which will couple-up to the rear of the Flagler Car to pull the train the opposite direction.  This is necessary because of the distance of the trip and the number of busy road crossings that the train will be operating over, much too far for a safe shove-move.

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
Does anyone know where this thing will be "unloaded" at? One source says down by the fairgrounds, another says at Fishers.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
So will they flip the engine by crane Saturday night?