Author Topic: My Google Map of Muncie  (Read 2044 times)

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
My Google Map of Muncie
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »
I'm hoping others can correct me where I may be wrong. I tried to follow the right-of-ways as best I could!  :)

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zktBG6njtHEo.kqSsqP-FAKZ0
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
Re: My Google Map of Muncie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:45:16 PM »
PRR Matthews Branch is red. Central Indiana is blue. The predecessor of the NKP from Fort Wayne to New Castle is yellow. NYC Belt is black.

intermodalres

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
Very informative map.  Helps me understand more clearly what I was looking at when I was there 5 years ago.  I assume that the N&W alignment from the first Whitewater River bridge to the connection with the Frankfort main was built new when the NCD was upgraded?  Thanks!

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
Very informative map.  Helps me understand more clearly what I was looking at when I was there 5 years ago.  I assume that the N&W alignment from the first Whitewater River bridge to the connection with the Frankfort main was built new when the NCD was upgraded?  Thanks!

I believe the Frankfort District Wye was a new addition. yes. I might have a few errors in this one so don't take it as complete. I heard CIOR has a better one.

intermodalres

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
I wondered why the NS line went in front of the C&O depot.  Then looking at pictures on the C&O of IN site sort of explained it.  I tried following the routes myself on Google Maps but without local knowledge it was all guessing for me.  Even if it isn't 100% it is real close, and far better than I could come up with.  Thanks again!

Wes Lewis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

No, the realignment, taking the NKP away from running through town, was done in the early 1950's. 

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
I will get a full map made up with all the maps.  its been on here previously but there were some issues with it.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »
I wondered why the NS line went in front of the C&O depot.  Then looking at pictures on the C&O of IN site sort of explained it.  I tried following the routes myself on Google Maps but without local knowledge it was all guessing for me.  Even if it isn't 100% it is real close, and far better than I could come up with.  Thanks again!

The NS uses what was the C&O/NKP interchange track as the now mainline.  This was done in the 50's as was stated when the realignment out of Madison Street took place.  This helped with  the coal too, as at the time the C&O delivered a LOT of coal to the NKP at Muncie.  The NKP used the interchange track to reach its road north to Fort Wayne here. 
The PRR was the one who ran in front of the C&O depot, and to this day you can still see the tracks in the road going to the depot. 

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
This is for Delaware County and while I included many things, not everything is on there.  At some point I will add all the spurs and such that I don't have on there.  I'm working with a different map editor and hope that it will be better (more accurate) down to 10' of actual placement.   But this will do.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
This is for Delaware County and while I included many things, not everything is on there.  At some point I will add all the spurs and such that I don't have on there.  I'm working with a different map editor and hope that it will be better (more accurate) down to 10' of actual placement.   But this will do.
More precise, you mean. Accuracy is dependent on whether you know your shtuff.

Ok, enough being a smartass. I'm using Quantum GIS for my mapping now, which is open source and pretty user-friendly. It has most all the bells and whistles of ArcMap, without the price tag. And it can import/export kml files natively (as well as shp and others). You might want to check it out.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
More precise, you mean. Accuracy is dependent on whether you know your shtuff.

Ok, enough being a smartass. I'm using Quantum GIS for my mapping now, which is open source and pretty user-friendly. It has most all the bells and whistles of ArcMap, without the price tag. And it can import/export kml files natively (as well as shp and others). You might want to check it out.

Well said.  I'll check them out, not tried that one yet.