Author Topic: CSX filing with STB to abandon line from Monon to Monticello IN  (Read 19478 times)

KD9GLW

• Dispatcher
  • I live in a box with a ham radio and camera
Re: CSX filing with STB to abandon line from Monon to Monticello IN
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
Doesn't this line only see 1 or 2 trains a week,if that

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Chicago Street runnin

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
Doesn't this line only see 1 or 2 trains a week,if that

This is the stub of the line to Indy.  The south end of it came out in the early 90's. during CSX's removal blitz phase.

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
The last industry served received fertilizer out on the edge of Monticello. They only got served two or three times a year. Adkev was the last steady customer down there. They used to receive plastic pellets. I forget when they switched to trucks.
Prairie Maverick.

KD9GLW

• Dispatcher
  • I live in a box with a ham radio and camera
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

This is the stub of the line to Indy.  The south end of it came out in the early 90's. during CSX's removal blitz phase.

Wonder why CSX decided to ax the south part of the line when it went straight to Indy.....

Chicago Street runnin

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Wonder why CSX decided to ax the south part of the line when it went straight to Indy.....

During that time frame CSX was ridding itself of lots of miles.  The fact that it went to Indy didn't mean much.  The traffic that was on the line was seasonal and shortline type operation.  As a matter of fact Indiana HiRail did operate the south end of this line.  I think many factors played out to its demise, I'll let others with more knowledge weigh in on that. 

It was the same time frame they let go the B&O west of Indy and the C&O from south of Peru to Richmond. 

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »
Adkev has never gotten rail service ever!!!! Landis Plastics did, but when they closed down the train service to Monticello became more sporadic. Adkev did aquire the former Landis Plastics plant, but has never had rail service since they started operating out of that facility. I was down there on Wedensday and the Monticello Farm Service had two liquid fertilizer tank cars parked on the switch in the fouling position. Otherwords the CSX will set the cars in the fertilizer plant siding. After they are unloaded, they the fertilizer plant will push them out onto the main for the CSX. From where I had a vantage point. The fertilizer plant was unable to push the two cars out onto the main the rest of the way because of the snow. So they are in the fouling position of the switch.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
That's one way to make sure your cars get switched. :P
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
During that time frame CSX was ridding itself of lots of miles.  The fact that it went to Indy didn't mean much.  The traffic that was on the line was seasonal and shortline type operation.  As a matter of fact Indiana HiRail did operate the south end of this line.   

I lived a block from the Monon in Broad Ripple from December 1981 until they pulled up the rails.  In all that time, I only saw two trains, not counting the Fair Train.  Once a neighbor told me that there were only about 1 or 2 trains a week -- something like Tuesday or Thursday -- and they were always during the day when I was at work downtown.

One thing that always fascinated me was the way that the crossing lights on Broadripple Avenue were hooked into the traffic light at Broadripple Avenue and Withrop Avenue.  When the crossing lights flashed, the traffic light went red in all directions.  I wasn't amazed at the technology, but the politics.  I didn't think that the city and the railroad were capable of cooperating like that!

-- Russ

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
I lived a block from the Monon in Broad Ripple from December 1981 until they pulled up the rails.  In all that time, I only saw two trains, not counting the Fair Train.  Once a neighbor told me that there were only about 1 or 2 trains a week -- something like Tuesday or Thursday -- and they were always during the day when I was at work downtown.

One thing that always fascinated me was the way that the crossing lights on Broadripple Avenue were hooked into the traffic light at Broadripple Avenue and Withrop Avenue.  When the crossing lights flashed, the traffic light went red in all directions.  I wasn't amazed at the technology, but the politics.  I didn't think that the city and the railroad were capable of cooperating like that!

-- Russ

They still do that on kentucky ave at holt rd when ISRR comes up to indy. Im not sure but i would imagine they are all like that down SR 67.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:40 AM »
Yep on SR 67 in Anderson and SR32 in  Muncie lots of those stop lights.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KCS-The Only Original

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
When they rebuilt McGalliard road crossing by the Muncie mall they put in a an smart crossing.  Pretty interesting to on watch it work, you will know a train is coming well in advance by how the lights sequence.

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
When they rebuilt McGalliard road crossing by the Muncie mall they put in a an smart crossing.  Pretty interesting to on watch it work, you will know a train is coming well in advance by how the lights sequence.
I have noticed that one a few times.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KCS-The Only Original

rej70

• Conductor
  • take the pictures before it's gone!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:38:09 PM »

I lived in Frankfort then - I railfanned on my bike in '83 and '84, and barely anything ever came south of the NKP diamond on the Monon. The last train I ever saw  southbound toward Indy was late summer '84 - and those box cars rocked like crazy!
  Here's some pictures I took earlier summer '84 of a northbound in Frankfort....

storrs19

• President
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »

-- Russ

Here's a scan of an article from February 1984 Trains magazine (good god! 30 years ago now) that details a trip the local made in February 1983 on the Indianapolis Line. 

Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Monticello is lucky to see a CSX train once or twice a month. I still wish some short line operator would get this line as it is in part of Monticello's old industrial park. Also wish someone would lease the Medaryville Sub. and take care of it. Rumor has it that the CSX is unable to deliver grain trains to Medaryville on account of a bad bridge north of Francesville. I was told that they could no longer deliver 286,000 pound cars to them, but still could run the locomotives over the bridge and deliver fertilizer??? Aren't the locomotives heavier than the cars???

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »
Rumor has it that the CSX is unable to deliver grain trains to Medaryville on account of a bad bridge north of Francesville. I was told that they could no longer deliver 286,000 pound cars to them, but still could run the locomotives over the bridge and deliver fertilizer??? Aren't the locomotives heavier than the cars???

LIRC is the same way.  Can't take 286K cars, but can handle 6 axle locomotives now.

Practice Safe CSX

Chessieguy42

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Gotta love it
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
What is the Medaryville Sub?
Long live the Chessie.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »
What is the Medaryville Sub?
The Medaryville Industrial Track is the track North of Monon to Medaryville.

rej70

• Conductor
  • take the pictures before it's gone!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
Here's a scan of an article from February 1984 Trains magazine (good god! 30 years ago now) that details a trip the local made in February 1983 on the Indianapolis Line.

Yep, that's Fifth Street in Frankfort, where it splits the street for about 4 blocks. I went back and forth across it on my Sunday Indy Star paper route.