Author Topic: Best Scanner  (Read 1749 times)

Caleb

• Superintendent
Best Scanner
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
What's the best mobile scanner with a digital screen for under $100? I'm willing to pay $200 for a scanner but I just want to weigh my options.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
Re: Best Scanner
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »
I have always liked Uniden radios, I have owned many and all worked great.  Just browsing their website a little and they offer a BC75XLT handheld for $129, and it has RR freqs preprogrammed.  It is a 300 channel radio.  Here's a link:

http://www.uniden.com/scanners/300-channel-handheld-scanner/invt/bc75xltg 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »
What's the best mobile scanner with a digital screen for under $100? I'm willing to pay $200 for a scanner but I just want to weigh my options.

Just make sure you can use the scanner for ATCS. I never heard of such a thing when I purchased mine from radioshack for 150. It works great but its not compatible for ATCS.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »

Just make sure you can use the scanner for ATCS. I never heard of such a thing when I purchased mine from radioshack for 150. It works great but its not compatible for ATCS.

I'm not real familiar with ATCS and what a particular scanner would pick up if it can monitor ATCS.  Does it have to do with picking up a certain frequency range?  What is there to hear?

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »
I'm not real familiar with ATCS and what a particular scanner would pick up if it can monitor ATCS.  Does it have to do with picking up a certain frequency range?  What is there to hear?

All I know is that the scanner has to have a port for PC LINE IN. im not sure if that comes from a sound jack on the pc of if its USB.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
All right, Thanks.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
With the Uniden scanners that I have owned, having a port for PC interface (PC in, or USB port) just allows you to be able to either program or control the scanner by way of computer software.  The most important thing you need to look at in a scanner for railroad frequencies is to make sure it will receive VHF signals, in the neighborhood of 136-174 Mhz and the frequency steps the scnner can receive. 

Uniden scanners have always been great performers for me.  I have had many, two mobiles, and six different base/mobiles.  All great units, the link I sent earlier in the thread would be a great entry level mobile scanner and it also has RR frequencies preprogrammed.  Read the ops manuals online too, this will help familiarize yourself with each scanners features.  Shop around online for the best price, ebay, etc.  If you get one and need help with setup send me a message I'd be glad to help with antenna suggestions, etc.  I am a scanner enthusiast and love listening to all types of radio traffic, you will be surprised what you will hear even with a scanner that does not have digital recieve capabiliy, weather spotters, farmers, industry, etc.  Good Luck!