Author Topic: Scanning RR Ch.78, Indy Area, Amtrak  (Read 3302 times)

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
Scanning RR Ch.78, Indy Area, Amtrak
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
Every now and then I will pick up chatter on Ch. 78.  Sometimes it is hard to hear, but over the last several months I have heard good clips of conversation.  Sounds like the subjects talking are in a busy station, busier than Indy, discussing baggage, passengers needing assistance, different arrival and departing tracks.  I have heard them discuss track numbers as high as 14.  And the times of day I hear discussion on radio is no where near when the Cardinal or Hoosier State are running through Indy.  I have heard traffic on this channel all times of day, middle of the day, morning, and late night.  The background noise sounds as though they are in a busy environment with echos as being in a large hall or something. 

Did some digging on the FCC license search for the Indy area and yielded four control points, Beech Grove's material control building, Philidelphia 30th St. station, 1400 S Lumber St. Chicago, and 15 popular st., New Castle, Wilmington, DE.  So this makes me think that somehow radio traffic from 30th St. station in Philly or Chicago Union station is getting repeated at Beech Grove for some reason?  I will put a link in here for the FCC search I used showing the results. 

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1917398&__newWindow=false

Has anyone else around Indy heard the chatter on 78??  What are everyone thoughts?   
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Scanning RR Ch.78, Indy Area, Amtrak
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »
I listen to the Avon car channel all day. Never heard anything like that on there. Carshop uses 36 and 42 for their operations. I do hear Chicago quite often on channels used up there so you're probably picking up lumber St on 78.

Practice Safe CSX

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
CSX_CO are you saying the car shop use 78 as well then?  Never heard anything that sounds local on 78.  I am probably misunderstanding your last post, if so, sorry for the confusion.   

I also should have said in my original post that I am referring to 161.2800. Mhz which I think is a wide band channel 78...  But for VHF to make it down here from Chicago would be a bit of a stretch, that's why I am wondering if the signal is repeated or rebroadcast at Beech Grove for some reason.  The signal seems stronger the closer to Indy I get.  And the FCC notes in their license search that the Sherman Ave site broadcasts on that freq.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »
What I'm saying is that with the channels at Avon that are in use (16, 20, 21, 82, etc) I will hear the other railroads that use those channels talking about operations in Chicago.  I believe UP uses channel 20 pretty extensively on the former C&EI, so you'll hear their dispatcher talking to trains up near J Tower, etc.  One of the channels is used by the CN around St. Louis, because you'll hear a dispatcher on that channel givign movement instructions at various locations around Metro St. Louis.  Granted the antenna I'm using is a wee bit bigger than your average scanner antenna, but it is entirely possible you are picking up transmissions coming from Chicago.

Practice Safe CSX

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »
are you hearing that chatter at work or somewhere else?  I mostly just hear the chatter when I am mobile, in Avon or closer to Indy.  My base is around QSC 26, but I don't hear it as well from there, and my base antenna is 30' in the air.  Yesterday around 2:40 in Avon I heard a man giving delay and on time status for different train numbers, the only one I caught was 352, the Wolverine.  So It must be Chicago.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Maybe it's some internet linked radio system..
If in doubt, Notch it out!

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
For a tonight and maybe some this weekend, I am going to leave my Radio Stream on this frequency.

Boy it BOOMs in here! So it's definitely being broadcast from Beech Grove.

It sounds to me like a linked system of some sort.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
http://inrd.gotdns.com/

inrd.gotdns.com:8000

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
let me know what you hear.  I think it's Philadelphia station?  who knows?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:30:10 PM by SankyInbound »

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
Thats funny you bring this up. Aside from the stuff im hearing that was mentioned in the other thread, I heard some of what you mention too, including "putting it in an odd numbered track".
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 04:09:40 AM »
From indyspy's feed tonight.

"53 to chicago radio"   something about they need to check the lake st crossings. LOL, cool. 4:10A.M

EDIT: I bet they very well could have been talking about "someone walking up the alley" like i thought i heard once in the past. Given that its chicago, anything is possible, even something about a guy "looking like he doesnt have any weapons" like i heard yesterday. I'd say sankyinbound is onto something here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:32:44 AM by doublestacks »

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
I will be around the house today and leave my radio on Ch. 78 and see what I hear.  I still wonder what Amtrak would want to repeat their Chicago station operations at. Beech Grove?  Not sure if it is for the shops or just a mistake no one has caught up with.  The people talking sound like red hats or some sort of station hand or police force for Amtrak.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
Cool. I believe this has been going on for some time. The time i heard about the subject going up the alley was last year. I heard about passengers needing assistance, too. Its so spotty and random though i didnt think much of it, though i thought it was weird, because it did not jive with amtrak here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:58:03 PM by doublestacks »

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
I will be around the house today and leave my radio on Ch. 78 and see what I hear.  I still wonder what Amtrak would want to repeat their Chicago station operations at. Beech Grove?  Not sure if it is for the shops or just a mistake no one has caught up with.  The people talking sound like red hats or some sort of station hand or police force for Amtrak.

I think we are listening to an Amtrak police frequency. Amtrak police have a presence at Amtrak beech grove.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Any availabile units? In some level of the train station the men are using the ladies room and the ladies are using the mens room. Sounds like they got their hands full, ahaha 591 is responding.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »
Yea, but they just watch TV in the gaurd shack anytime I've been in there.  Why would it matter what is going on in Chicago station to the Beech Grove guys I wonder?  I have never heard and traffic on there relate to Indianapolis or Beech Grove.  Interesting listening none the less.  I am to far from Indy at the house to pick up any traffic here.  I am glad others are expressing interest in this thread.  More people listening will be more apt to hear some more clues to the puzzle!

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Yea, but they just watch TV in the gaurd shack anytime I've been in there.  Why would it matter what is going on in Chicago station to the Beech Grove guys I wonder?  I have never heard and traffic on there relate to Indianapolis or Beech Grove.  Interesting listening none the less.  I am to far from Indy at the house to pick up any traffic here.  I am glad others are expressing interest in this thread.  More people listening will be more apt to hear some more clues to the puzzle!

I have it up on my radio feed for the moment

http://inrd.gotdns.com

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
I know the shop workers themselves are on a UHF repeater.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 09:20:28 PM »
I have it up on my radio feed for the moment

http://inrd.gotdns.com

www.winamp.com has a good client for it too @ sankyinbound

Im listening now, we now have an unconscious person in the foodcourt. alot of action on this radio tonight.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Unattended bag next to a payphone.

This is Amtrak Police, not sure why it needs to be repeated in Indy...........

Other then to give the guy in the shack at BG a way to radio in trouble.