Author Topic: I phone or mobile scanner?  (Read 1067 times)

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
I phone or mobile scanner?
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »

I want to be able to here the goings on here locally to Greenfield.  I am unsure if I need a digital type scanner or I'd be better off with getting an Iphone and using the available apps.  I have an old BC148XLT I hadn't used yet because the a/c adapter is MIA.  I heard about all the digital issues.  This is just an older wideband scanner.  Can I get away with using a narrowband analog scanner? 

Thanks, Joe
Paul Akers is the place to be.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: I phone or mobile scanner?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
All you need is a analog narrow-band scanner. But unless you have a outdoor antenna you may not hear anything but the dispatcher from Greenfield. Mobile of course is a different story.

The other option is just tune into my online radio stream
http://inrd.gotdns.com/inrdradio.htm

It has decent range from the south side of Indy.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
I'd use it on my phone if I had iTunes. The only thing an iphone is useful for ha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KCS-The Only Original

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »
I'd use it on my phone if I had iTunes. The only thing an iphone is useful for ha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
as someone who has owned two droids and a iphone....I miss my iphone...

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
I had a BCT-8 Uniden for years, it has RR freqs already programmed into the radio.  They receive very good, not a very bulky radio for a mobile unit either.  Doesn't take a very special radio to pick up RR freqs, if your wanting to install a base set up, I would put more emphasis on the antenna system.  Make sure you pick a good antenna with good coax in a location above most obstructions and away from other metallic objects.  The BC148XLT would work for you but it only has 20 channel capability, but if all you want to listen to is RR then 20 channels would be enough.  Might be surprised though what you hear with all channels programmed in, depends on the day, conditions, and what is going on RR wise. 

Currently I am running a Uniden BC8500XLT with a antenna craft ST2 30 feet in the air.  I am about 15 miles from Avon as the crow flies and pick up tons of radio traffic in the yard. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I will just use streaming at home and pick up a narrow band analog mobile for when I go out.  I have to make service calls all over rural areas all the time.  The scanner would be handy for listening to something else if anything.  Recently I've been in Rushville with in visual distance of  the large grain operation at the current end of the line North of town off the old branch line.  Then I was in Greensburg area Friday.  Its fun getting to travel even if its cold.  If I keep a magnetic mobile antenna and radio handy that should work well.  Could always use a power inverter and old base unit.
My brother in law upgraded his phone and I was thinking of buying his old one.  I try to be frugal.  Keeps everyone happy at home :)
Paul Akers is the place to be.