Author Topic: Martin County  (Read 1159 times)

IndyKing

• Mogul
Martin County
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
OK, I admit up front that this is a pathetic entry, although so far it is the only one for Martin County! :o  It is strangely ironic that this photo also shows railroad inactivity, as it was shot along the stretch of CR 99 that parallels the former Milwaukee Road/SOO/CP/INRD RoW between Cale and Williams.  This particular location is just East of the former crossing where CR 99 turns South to become Lower Gap Road.  Sadly, the ballast at the top of the shot is all that remains of the line between Crane (right) and Bedford (left) and it represents the current status of most of the accessible part of this line in the county.  Hopefully somebody will post a photo of active railroading near Crane or on the B&O between Loogootee and Huron!
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
Re: Martin County
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Here are some photos at Shoals. Looks as though CSX B&B gang are doing some repair work on a bridge pier.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »
Here is some photos at Loogootee. Noticeably absent are centerbeam lumber cars. Later I was at Odon and could see some empties at the new INRD reload facility. The hoppers in storage are mostly in Daviess County. The telephoto lens really exaggerates the grade but provides good insight into the undulating profile of the track.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Here are some photos at Shoals. Looks as though CSX B&B gang are doing some repair work on a bridge pier.
Interesting. I wonder how they got that backhoe down there??
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
Shoals means shallow.  As long as the water doesn't get above the cab floor, and the river bottom isn't sloppy, it can track its way out there.  If the water is deep and the bottom "bottomless", they'll float it out there on a barge.   
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)