Author Topic: 18th St. @ Logansport Rehab  (Read 2048 times)

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
18th St. @ Logansport Rehab
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
I was down in Logansport, IN. yesterday Sept. 16, 2013 and watched a contract crew remove the 18th St. road crossing at the former west end of the old Yard A. Also had heard that a contract tie gang is suppose to be coming to town on Wendensday to replace ties from 18th St. west to the U. S. 35 Bypass. Ties are marked about every third tie to get a new tie. Must have some big plans for the T.P. & W.????

Trainman19

• Superintendent
Re: 18th St. @ Logansport Rehab
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
This crossing rehab has been desperately needed for some time. Rail America let the tracks in town rot, but G&W is working with the city to get this crossing repaired. It was falling apart and extremely bumpy.

The city of Logansport and G&W are working together on this: G&W does the track work, city road crews do the rest. Should put an end to people going 1/2 mph over it, except for people who are just paranoid.  ;D
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

LJ

• President
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »
I watched them replace this crossing this week, with a bit of cause for concern!!! Most road crossings that I have put in, in the past we would try to aquire new rail for them. In some rare cases we would use the old rail again, but very rarely. In the case of the T.P.W. / G. & W. I seen where they reused the old Pennsy rail over that was in the original crossing. I am not saying that this is a total bad thing, but the age of the rail, the worn crown in the rail head, I would worry about a future rail break in the crossing. Two they used local limestone, which is far better for road construction, then for track rehab. The local limestone breaks down way to easy. If they would have put in either southern limestone, which in most cases is much harder or granite, it might hold up a bit longer. The new crossing seems to look good and feel good, but it still may settle quite a bit in the next couple of years. I was surprised that they didn't tamp the track with a traditional tamper, instead they used the 18" bucket on the backhoe to tamp the ties in the crossing. This good to use as a temporary solution til you get a tamper to tamp with, but it is not a permanent solution to the problem. So I say to everyone in Logansport, IN. enjoy for now, but do not be surprised that this crossing might have to be closed again down the road for a rail change out. A side note: Conrail totally replaced this crossing back in 1982. So it has been about 21 years since this crossing has seen major maintenance done on it. On the heaviest trafficked mainlines you are lucky to see them replaced every two to three years. Most short lines maybe once every ten years.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
G&W is just trying to play catch up on track work for most of the former RA lines. That's an old RA trick with grade crossing repairs to have the city do part of the work. Doesn't take long for it to settle in and be just as bad as it was.

LJ

• President
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
I'm sorry that these are not in the right order, but here are some photo's of the crew from H & H Railroad Contracting tearing out Logansport's former P.R.R. crossing at 18th St.

LJ

• President
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
Here are a couple more from later in the week after the track was put back together and they had to tamp the crossing with their backhoe bucket.

h2466

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
G&W is just trying to play catch up on track work for most of the former RA lines. That's an old RA trick with grade crossing repairs to have the city do part of the work. Doesn't take long for it to settle in and be just as bad as it was.
Kinda reminds you of the early CR years huh? Kudos to G&W for taking on the challenge. Ken

LJ

• President
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »
I was watching a T.P.W. video the other day, that was made in 1983. I had to watch the first half over and over several times. The train started out of Yard A and headed across 18th St. headed for East Peoria, IL. It helped me remember all of the times that I use to come down on Sunday mornings with my father to watch what was left of Conrail in the early 1980's in Logansport, IN. My only regret looking back is that I didn't have a camera, of course as a kid who would of thought that this all would be a shadow of its former self back then????