Author Topic: Civil War Train  (Read 2453 times)

doublestacks

• Mogul
Civil War Train
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
My great grandfather was a union soldier from Warsaw, Indiana. The word i got about him was that he was wounded in battle and died on the train before he got back to Indiana.

What railroad would they have been using to get back into indy?
What railroad would have been used to go from Warsaw to get to the south?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:54:25 AM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: Cival War Train
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
Train was the only form of transportation during the Civil War era.  It was the fastest, but was just coming into wider use by the military.  So there is no garrentee it was via rail.  Riverboats were popular, too.

It would also help to know which battle he was returning from.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »
Today ive been made aware of some paper record of the time. He was drafted from 1/18/1865 to 9/30/1865. He was last heard from in Huntsville, Alabama. He was put on the cars with other sick soldiers and started for Nashville. He is to believed to have died and was put off at small station 5.

So that makes my first question invalid. He must have been buried along the rail line somewhere, wherever the small station 5 was. Wonder what railroad this is and if its still active?

KCSLOVER94

• President
  • Kansas City Southern - The only original.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
If it was on the line from Nashville to Huntsville that would be a very active rail line since I believe thats the line between Birmingham and Nashville on the CSX

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

KCS-The Only Original

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »
Today ive been made aware of some paper record of the time. He was drafted from 1/18/1865 to 9/30/1865. He was last heard from in Huntsville, Alabama. He was put on the cars with other sick soldiers and started for Nashville. He is to believed to have died and was put off at small station 5.

So that makes my first question invalid. He must have been buried along the rail line somewhere, wherever the small station 5 was. Wonder what railroad this is and if its still active?

"Small Station 5" sounds an awful lot like a water-stop to me, or a place where Passenger trains would've stopped for food and restroom breaks pre-toilet and dining cars, and probably didn't survive into the 1900s. Also, given the imeframe there were tracks all over the country that don't exist now, and with the Civil War, a lot of railroad routes shifted with the battles. That is to say, the bvious route to the North may be controlled by the COnfederates for a few miles, or were blown up by one side when they saw they were losing the battle so the other guys couldn't use the track either, so a Hospital train may have had to detour east or west a ways. Since all of this was occuring during a war, trains were simply assets, so you would see a lot of cross-railroad routing that normally wouldn't make sense or be profitable, but for moving troops and artillery nobody cared what the beancounters thought.

Your best bet is to first figure out where Small Staton 5 is/was and work from there. I'd try either these guys http://www.northalabamarailroadmuseum.com/ in Huntsville or another larger rr musuem in Alabama who might have an archive or someone who's heard of a Small Station. If there's a Small Station 5, I suspect there's also a Small Station 1-4, but any piece of the puzzle may help. If you can get a where, you could prbably get a What Railroad it was, although be prepapred to find out its a "Huntsville and Miller Railroad" something or other Mom and Pop train.

if they don't have the archives you might try the Southern Railway Historical Society, or the Gulf Mobile & Ohio.Maybe the Louisville and Nashville, I'm not sure how far South they would've gotten. The SOU bought up a lot of railroads, they may have bought up someone who bought up someone who bought up the railroad your relative was on when he died.  Agan, see if they;ve heard of a "Small Station 5" and if they can put another name to it, like :Smithville" or "John's Creek" and work from there.

One more alley, is to see if the State of Alabama or Tennesee have an all encompassing database of old photos archived online somewhere.

Keep us aprised, this si not gonna be an easy dig, I suspect. But if they did bury him en-route instead of bringing his body home, then that means he's still out there waiting to be found, and it could be really exciting to track down his movements.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »
Thanks folks. I'll be on the phone tomarrow during buisness hours for sure. You're right about this not being easy. For all we know it could be a marked or unmarked grave along an abandoned route somewhere.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
Thanks folks. I'll be on the phone tomarrow during buisness hours for sure. You're right about this not being easy. For all we know it could be a marked or unmarked grave along an abandoned route somewhere.

Probably, he got a marked grave if they set him off. the catch isn't if its marked, its if the marker is still in one piece or even above ground. Lots of civil War cemetries get buried under. Or moved... or...
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho