Author Topic: Carthage Knightstown and Shirley railroad closing  (Read 9960 times)

bigjimtrains

• Fireman
Re: Carthage Knightstown and Shirley railroad closing
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
Agreed. By the way, I think you have a cameo in my video. I wonder how many other indianarailroads.org members show up in it.

You caught me and my son at the end of the 1:00 ride when we were pulling up to the station platform.

Jim

Freightrain

• Dispatcher
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
I have talked with him and know his stance on this, but regardless, he is entitled to his opinion and has expressed it. So if you want to post signs on your own business, go right ahead. Otherwise, let's all just be sad that a railroad is gone and move on.
I am sure that both parties are doing there best to turn America into a 3rd world country.I am thankful for freedom of speech and that it is still basicly a free country.

MDavis

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:05 AM »
Agreed. By the way, I think you have a cameo in my video. I wonder how many other indianarailroads.org members show up in it.

Hell, you got most of  us duruing the runaround at Carthage, how many idiots can you fit in a clownca- ah, 45tonner ;) I'm in there a couple places, but knowhere identifiable and only bcause I knw where I was standing.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

LJ

• Superintendent
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2013, 02:13:40 AM »
I have never gotten the fortunate privilage to ride this short short line. I kind of wish that I had now, or even gotten to take photo's of it. As for the sale of it, $1,500,000.00 seems kind of high for it. I'm not for sure of the rail or equipment that they have there???? I was told that they had some really old 90 lb. Dudley (New York Central rail) most of it from the photo's looks to be very worn. Although that could be an optical illusion through the photo's. I would have to see the track up close to see what they had. The two 44 ton switchers depending on their condition could or should bring anywhere in the ballpark of about $45, 000.00 to $60,000.00 may be less if they are really worn out. Any of the train cars may come around about $5,000.00 to $20,000.00, again depending on their condition. Rail salvage value on the other hand may or may not come up very high. There is no doubt that the rail is worth something. Ties not good. To overhaul the line or even part of it, will be ate up by the replacement ties. Tie disposal will be another problem, as this track appears to be very much in need. Personally I would think a guy might be able to sell it for anywhere close to $ 900,000.00, but that is it. Who ever was to aquire it to run it, is guaranteed to be spending about half that much in ties and ballast.

VandaliaRR

CKS Railroad
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Sadly, a short line railroad has closed it's doors after 27 years of service to railfans.  The CKS (Carthage, Knightstown and Shirley) railroad ran their last excursion on Saturday August 31st.  One of the operators stated that age and costs were the reasons the railroad had to be shut down.  The CKS was a remnant of the old New York Central line that ran from St. Joseph, MI to Northern Kentucky in it's heyday.  The CKS ran weekend train excursions on Friday, Saturday and Sundays from May until October.  There were special days of train robberies and a stop at a pumpkin patch in October that children could pick out a pumpkin to take home with them.  Because I had rode this train in the past, I decided to shoot a video to commemorate the final run.  I hope that someone or a group will purchase the business and start it up again.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
I've merged this most recent post into the main thread on the CKS closing.

I also will add that a person has started doing due diligence in purchasing the CKS now. Among other things, he is hoping to do some fundraisers to help generate the cash. Check out, and like, his facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carthage-Knightstown-Shirley-Railroad/223423187817716
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

B

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
Unbeknownst to us, we took the last robbery train ride last summer.  It was so sad.  There is apparently a bridge that needs to be replaced and neither town will fork over the cost, and therefore, the train rides stopped.  We drove by the depot a couple of weekends ago, and it was sad to see it closed up.

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
There likely was before the PRR was elevated sometime in the 1940's.

I know for sure there was in looking at old maps.  The PRR appears to have been elevated even in the early 1900's for grade reasons.  There was a fairly noticeable railyard south of the PRR as well at one time.  Not that you could tell at all now.  Rail used to flow through Knightstown similar to highways through Greenfield.
Paul Akers is the place to be.

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
I've merged this most recent post into the main thread on the CKS closing.

I also will add that a person has started doing due diligence in purchasing the CKS now. Among other things, he is hoping to do some fundraisers to help generate the cash. Check out, and like, his facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carthage-Knightstown-Shirley-Railroad/223423187817716

This is excellent news as I do not think most people, short of an eccentric, with that kind of cash would want to invest it like this.  Best way to run would be a not for profit.  Once you got that the tax laws are most certainly in your favor. 
  I too hadn't had the chance to get out there.  It seemed like I'd been working 6-7 days a week from spring till winter non-stop.  Thanks guys for the videos!  Very cool stuff!  Thanks for posting that Nate!

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Whomever made that Facebook page made a post recently saying that they talked to the brother of the owner who said they won't be able to save it. You can see the post a little ways down.
Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube

• President
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
I am highly skeptical about the validity of that page.

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • I build Civics & Acura ILXs at Honda.
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
I am highly skeptical about the validity of that page.
I as well.
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
Who has 1 Mil to blow on a glorified frivolous plaything? Not too many in this economy!

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
Yeah I read the facebook page.  The more I got into the it the more I wonder.  Its a shame to see it go,  as many kids in the area don't know much about the RR,  but things change and big.  The fall of the interurbans was one of the most drastic changes in transportation history. 
  That CNR Connersville and New Castle might be a great excursion/revenue route with connections with CSX and NS.  That could be a gold mine in the right setting.... Just sayin.

doublestacks

• President
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »
If the federal govt was to do anything useful for a change, they should pick up the tab to fix this railroad for the community of indiana. so what if it stays within the 10 million range? More money than that gets wasted all the time.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

MDavis

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »
If the federal govt was to do anything useful for a change, they should pick up the tab to fix this railroad for the community of indiana. so what if it stays within the 10 million range? More money than that gets wasted all the time.

...That'd be like the state buying someone a motorhome... why? it was a beautiful little operation, but even if Parks Services could take something like that over, it would still need a local chapter to run and look after it. Is there one? Is there enough volunteer movement in Knightstown rebuild the line, as Parks would undoubtedly have to being under Federal jurisdiction and therefore liability? I really don't think there is, and I really don't think the little hidden jewel that the CKS used to be would have the draw to be of interest. Now, if it were something like Steamtown in scale, with a nice, large, international recognition, maybe, but it'd have to be bigger than WVRR and ITM put together and therefore would not be in this boat in the fist place.

Shame too, when INRBS went out and we did our group ride, the thought on my mind as we went through town was "How many people know this is the last month of operations, and how many would care?"
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

doublestacks

• President
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:10 AM »
...That'd be like the state buying someone a motorhome... why?

This is a simple answer really. Our govt spent 7 billion dollars to run power down through "mud hut village" Africa. Why? That money would go alot further if we only spent less than 5 or 10 million. I'd rather see it spent on an old tourist railroad than to be wasted off shore in other countries that hate us. I bet it would go a long ways if they tried to do an interurban railroad again with a 7 billion dollar budget. Plus help alot of people.

Shame too, when INRBS went out and we did our group ride, the thought on my mind as we went through town was "How many people know this is the last month of operations, and how many would care?"

Your right there. I never heard about this railroad untill i saw this thread and seen that it was closing. That answers it right there, little to no people. Perhaps if they advertised a little better over the years they would be doing better. People go to st paul every day, why not stay a little further north and go visit the cks? A small kid would probably get more out of riding a train then swimming in a lake. Just my opinion though.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.