Author Topic: Avon Yard Frequencies  (Read 1172 times)

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
Avon Yard Frequencies
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
OK, so I've searched around, and I thought I saw them somewhere, but can anyone tell me the frequencies in use at Avon now?  They used to have about 10 or so that I could pick up in Danville, but it seems that they're now down to two with high enough power to be heard around the city. 

Don't suppose anyone can help my radio get re-acquainted with the area?

E.J.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Avon Yard Frequencies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »
OK, so I've searched around, and I thought I saw them somewhere, but can anyone tell me the frequencies in use at Avon now?  They used to have about 10 or so that I could pick up in Danville, but it seems that they're now down to two with high enough power to be heard around the city. 

Don't suppose anyone can help my radio get re-acquainted with the area?

E.J.

Channel 58-58 is still the main channel for the yard.  Hump jobs use 16 and 20, but traffic on those is greatly diminished from years past with the conversion to one man remotes.  Pullers use 21-82 as their channels.  All you'll here on those is move instructions, etc. Avon Fuel Pad uses 50, but outside of trains asking permission to enter or leave, not much to be gleaned from it.  30-30 is the dispatcher channel now, with trains getting on 30 for permission to leave Avon.  46 is still the road channel.

Practice Safe CSX

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
You forgot channel 36 160.650, the Car Department repeater output.

This one is busy as hell, but the language on there sucks! (Or at least it used too)

They will often give out car counts and whats being built where and what needed air testing.

Or at least they used too.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
i run my scanner on a broad range. 160.000 to 161.999.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »
i run my scanner on a broad range. 160.000 to 161.999.

What is a bit of a waste in itself.

The RR band in the US is from 160.215 to 161.565 in 15khz increments.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »
You forgot channel 36 160.650, the Car Department repeater output.

This one is busy as hell, but the language on there sucks! (Or at least it used too)

They will often give out car counts and whats being built where and what needed air testing.

Or at least they used too.

Still do, but when trying to hear what is coming or going from Avon, or in the city, the channel is pretty much worthless in so far as train movements go. 

Practice safe CSX

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Still do, but when trying to hear what is coming or going from Avon, or in the city, the channel is pretty much worthless in so far as train movements go. 

Practice safe CSX

That and it's active so much it hogs the radio.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
I will say that 160.650 at times on 3rd shift, used to be ten times funnier then any comedy routine.

I once heard the Hump yardmaster singing... but that was over 10 years ago (still under CSX)

I used to die laughing listening to that channel.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
I will say that 160.650 at times on 3rd shift, used to be ten times funnier then any comedy routine.

I once heard the Hump yardmaster singing... but that was over 10 years ago (still under CSX)

I don't think the car department used to realize that what they broadcast was subject to FCC regulations, let alone FRA regs.  Its calmed down considerably.  The Hump YM still sings, till he transferred to Hawthorne recently, but it was usually on the IC block line, or block line between the towers.

<edit>Come to think of it, we had two.  One's working downtown at 31 E. Georgia Street now, the other bumped to Hawthorne.
Practice Safe CSX

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »

Sounds like i missed out. All ive ever heard them do was play a small part of the song "Apple bottom Jeans" by Tpain a few years ago. The lyrics were clean. Then recently i heard the carmen get cracked on for being lazy, that was a bit of serious talk it sounded like ending in "no one is forcing anyone to be here" then radio silence, i found it comical.

The other night they was talking about an open box car and said it looked like there was malt liquor in the floor. I take that as a sign of a hobo? haha
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:37:17 PM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 12:23:16 AM »
The other night they was talking about an open box car and said it looked like there was malt liquor in the floor. I take that as a sign of a hobo? haha

Not necessasrily, plenty of that flowing through Avon from the west to the east in box cars.

Practice Safe CSX