Author Topic: Clark Co.  (Read 1024 times)

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
Clark Co.
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
I'm getting rather sick of trying to post images and having the board lock-up, so here's a link to L&I shots in Clark Co. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubiousfrog/sets/72157634117995074/

All taken from either public property or with permission.

Andrew
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Clark Co.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
Good photos, as always!

As for the attachments...there are two limitations:

One is simple file size, currently set at ~5mb. The attached image is only ~3mb.

The other is pixel size. This is important because the GC module on the server converts uploaded images to thumbnails, and it uses memory to do so. The more pixels, the more memory it takes to work with. For the image attached here, the size in memory is ~116mb. The maximum setting was 128mb, which is about 1/6 of my allotment from the host. I have just increased the max to 512mb to see if that helps, though even at the maximum of .75gb, it would theoretically only allow about 6 images of this size to be uploaded/processed at once. More info: http://alexrabe.de/2008/05/13/understand-gd-library/

Alternatively, I could turn off the thumbnail conversion, which, depending on how I do it, either means no thumbnails whatsoever, or 3mb "thumbnails" that every page view would have to load.

So, we'll see whether upping the memory limit to 512 helps, or not, or if it makes my host angry.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
Those shots in and around the LIRC Jeffersonville engine house are great!
Cheers, Al

dubiousfrogshit

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
I don't want to upset your host, server or screw your bandwith. I just saw that the maximum upload size was 5000k and instructed Lightroom to condense to 4000k (or thereabouts). I'm condensing a 12mp RAW file to publish and would rather not lose too much detail in the translation. That's why I linked to FLIKR rather than bombarding the site with images.

BTW I realise now that not all the shots in the FLIKR set are of railroads. I hope you won't be too offended by golden statues and rustic outhouses ;D .

Going back to file sizes, perhaps lusting after a D800 and it's 36mp FX sensor is a mistake. It's a good looking camera though

Regards to all

Andrew
Closely Observed Trains
Bloomington, IN.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
Andrew, most of us shoot big and then save the files and what we post we compress.  I compress the snot out of my stuff that I post, even on flickr... 

arcticrail

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
Rustic outhouses are cool...as long as they don't have the rustic smells!!
If it moves or makes noise...I'm interested!