Author Topic: Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy  (Read 6700 times)

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
  • A conductor of both kinds.
Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »
Here's PO51-26 westbound at CP-Woods (Harding St) at 0756 today.  Total "grab shots" as I woke up early and had found out that they were running over 2 hours late.

Things were busy downtown this morning, as Amtrak was closely followed by an intermodal that took the Crawfordsville to South Hunt into Avon, while other trains were running both directions on the St. Louis Line and negotiating the work area near CP-IU.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:21:54 AM by BourdonBoy »

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: Amtrak Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Love the first shot. Looks eerie with the fog and haze....

ATAIndy

• Conductor
Re: Amtrak Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:09:55 AM »
Whoa, great catch. That phase IV looks good.
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
Re: Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »
Well, Amtrak P850-02 got to Indy 1 hour and 13 minutes late, arriving at 1:13 AM today.  It was doing fine up through the Dyer stop.  It's been a while since I've ridden to/from Chicago on the Hoosier State so I don't know whether this tardiness has been the norm recently.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the new operator takes over the Hoosier State this Fall (but, of course, the train's operator will have little effect on its OTP).  I have heard of forthcoming upgrades along the Monon Sub and Crawfordsville Branch due to the expected traffic bump when the new plant in Reynolds comes online, so we'll see what happens.  It is good that daily service between Indy and Chicago will be maintained though.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
Anyone know why Amtrak 51 still hasn't left Indy yet?  It arrived at 5:34 AM so should have had enough time for crew change, etc., to only be slightly behind its scheduled 0600 departure.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
I heard scuttlebutt that the power set was low on fuel.  Must have bused the passengers and wait on a fuel truck?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
Yep, that's what ended up happening.  Someone I know was aboard, she said they sat at IUS until about 10:00 when they were finally transferred to busses.  Amtrak gave out a free snack while they were waiting.  Luckily she made her connection to the Empire Builder but with only 20 minutes to spare.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:34:08 PM by BourdonBoy »

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
In Monon at 6:30 pm EST getting fuel for the CSX engine and taking a passenger off for a medical issue (I thought they were all bussed).

TO said it was for the AMTRAK engine which was under 300 gallons at Crawfordsville.  That would seem to be inline with why the train fell on its face in the first place, a lack of fuel in the locomotives.  Power Hawthorne had, and sent, should have been freshly serviced on Sunday, so I doubt it was the one needing the fuel truck.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:32:46 PM »
Today is Monday, so the southbound/eastbound should be the Hoosier State (and thus Iowa Pacific equipment), right? I'm not clear if this morning's Amtrak 51 made it to Chicago (sans passengers) or not, since they were bussed from Indy to Chicago.

sent from my Droid RAZR M via Tapatalk

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
Passengers with connections were bussed out of Indy. The rest of the passengers stayed on the train.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Why were they bussed out of indy today?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Why were they bussed out of indy today?
That was yesterday (Monday 11/23/15).  Although today I see the Hoosier State left Indy 2 hrs 21 mins late (at 0821 EST) and got to Chicago 2 hrs 30 mins late (at 1235 CST).

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »
Westbound 51/Cardinal is 10+ hours late today (Sat Jul 9) due to complications from severe storms in WV (trees down across track in multiple locations, according to Amtrak).  Figures, since I was to have boarded it in Indy this morning. It's only nearing Charleston, WV now at 6:50 AM. Looks like I'm driving to Chicago so I don't miss my connecting train :-/

sent via Tapatalk

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
Did it ever make it to Chicago?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 10:20:02 AM »
I don't know. It did arrive at Indianapolis at 5:52 PM Sat 7/9/2016, having been made even later than it already was due to the grade crossing accident on the near east side of Indianapolis.

sent via Tapatalk

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
No, it was turned as train 50 at Indianapolis

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Anyone know what happened to cause today's westbound Cardinal to leave Indy so late, when it arrived here on time?

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Equipment problem or crew rest issue???
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

mononradio

• Conductor
Cardinal Late 11-10-16
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
Wondered the same thing.
517 has been the shuttle engine on Thursdays, added to the front of the Cardinal consist with whatever they are sending up today from Beech Grove.
Since the Cardinal was on time, one must surmise that there were problems with the shuttle equipment that was added at the depot.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
One would think that the deadhead equipment move would be scrapped for the day if it was causing a 3+ hr delay. Thurs is one of the days that the Cardinal's equipment flips in Chicago. Makes it hard for 50 to depart on time when 51 is so late into Chicago.