Author Topic: Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy  (Read 6220 times)

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
  • A conductor of both kinds.
Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »
Here's PO51-26 westbound at CP-Woods (Harding St) at 0756 today.  Total "grab shots" as I woke up early and had found out that they were running over 2 hours late.

Things were busy downtown this morning, as Amtrak was closely followed by an intermodal that took the Crawfordsville to South Hunt into Avon, while other trains were running both directions on the St. Louis Line and negotiating the work area near CP-IU.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:21:54 AM by BourdonBoy »

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: Amtrak Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Love the first shot. Looks eerie with the fog and haze....

ATAIndy

• Conductor
Re: Amtrak Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:09:55 AM »
Whoa, great catch. That phase IV looks good.
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
Re: Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »
Well, Amtrak P850-02 got to Indy 1 hour and 13 minutes late, arriving at 1:13 AM today.  It was doing fine up through the Dyer stop.  It's been a while since I've ridden to/from Chicago on the Hoosier State so I don't know whether this tardiness has been the norm recently.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the new operator takes over the Hoosier State this Fall (but, of course, the train's operator will have little effect on its OTP).  I have heard of forthcoming upgrades along the Monon Sub and Crawfordsville Branch due to the expected traffic bump when the new plant in Reynolds comes online, so we'll see what happens.  It is good that daily service between Indy and Chicago will be maintained though.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
Anyone know why Amtrak 51 still hasn't left Indy yet?  It arrived at 5:34 AM so should have had enough time for crew change, etc., to only be slightly behind its scheduled 0600 departure.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
I heard scuttlebutt that the power set was low on fuel.  Must have bused the passengers and wait on a fuel truck?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
Yep, that's what ended up happening.  Someone I know was aboard, she said they sat at IUS until about 10:00 when they were finally transferred to busses.  Amtrak gave out a free snack while they were waiting.  Luckily she made her connection to the Empire Builder but with only 20 minutes to spare.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:34:08 PM by BourdonBoy »

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
In Monon at 6:30 pm EST getting fuel for the CSX engine and taking a passenger off for a medical issue (I thought they were all bussed).

TO said it was for the AMTRAK engine which was under 300 gallons at Crawfordsville.  That would seem to be inline with why the train fell on its face in the first place, a lack of fuel in the locomotives.  Power Hawthorne had, and sent, should have been freshly serviced on Sunday, so I doubt it was the one needing the fuel truck.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:32:46 PM »
Today is Monday, so the southbound/eastbound should be the Hoosier State (and thus Iowa Pacific equipment), right? I'm not clear if this morning's Amtrak 51 made it to Chicago (sans passengers) or not, since they were bussed from Indy to Chicago.

sent from my Droid RAZR M via Tapatalk

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
Passengers with connections were bussed out of Indy. The rest of the passengers stayed on the train.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Why were they bussed out of indy today?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Why were they bussed out of indy today?
That was yesterday (Monday 11/23/15).  Although today I see the Hoosier State left Indy 2 hrs 21 mins late (at 0821 EST) and got to Chicago 2 hrs 30 mins late (at 1235 CST).

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »
Westbound 51/Cardinal is 10+ hours late today (Sat Jul 9) due to complications from severe storms in WV (trees down across track in multiple locations, according to Amtrak).  Figures, since I was to have boarded it in Indy this morning. It's only nearing Charleston, WV now at 6:50 AM. Looks like I'm driving to Chicago so I don't miss my connecting train :-/

sent via Tapatalk

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
Did it ever make it to Chicago?

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 10:20:02 AM »
I don't know. It did arrive at Indianapolis at 5:52 PM Sat 7/9/2016, having been made even later than it already was due to the grade crossing accident on the near east side of Indianapolis.

sent via Tapatalk

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
No, it was turned as train 50 at Indianapolis

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Anyone know what happened to cause today's westbound Cardinal to leave Indy so late, when it arrived here on time?

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Equipment problem or crew rest issue???
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

mononradio

• Conductor
Cardinal Late 11-10-16
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
Wondered the same thing.
517 has been the shuttle engine on Thursdays, added to the front of the Cardinal consist with whatever they are sending up today from Beech Grove.
Since the Cardinal was on time, one must surmise that there were problems with the shuttle equipment that was added at the depot.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
One would think that the deadhead equipment move would be scrapped for the day if it was causing a 3+ hr delay. Thurs is one of the days that the Cardinal's equipment flips in Chicago. Makes it hard for 50 to depart on time when 51 is so late into Chicago.

mononradio

• Conductor
Cardinal Extra Stuff
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:07 PM »
Agreed.  But once they had the junk parked in front at the depot, whatta you gonna due when it won't make air or whatever?

Believe that shuttle was the whole reason the Hoosier State originally developed on off days...it was figured that as long as they were running, might as well stick a passenger coach on the rear.

Cardinal should be at least once daily, don't think there is any quibble about that.
Three day a week trains are hopeless.

IMHO The equipment shuttle to and from Indy should be run as a special extra train, without passengers on it.  But, hey, that would probably take an Act of Congress.

CSX would demand $10 million per train plus at least $75 billion in infrastructure to add sidings and improve the signaling?

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
Today's (Sat) 51 was 19 min late to CIN, 2h26m to COI and 2h3m late to IND.  Wonder if she got tangled up in Cincy?

Dschro

• Engineer
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
Not to worry, she won't be that late into Chicago.  Rode last Saturday and we left Indy on time and hit every stop on time all the way to Dyer, where I got off and I don't think we ever got over 50.  With way too much schedule padding, we dawdled our way to Chicago.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
Today's (Sat) 51 was 19 min late to CIN, 2h26m to COI and 2h3m late to IND.  Wonder if she got tangled up in Cincy?

If I had to guess the weather played a factor.  Wicked winds with that storm front last night, lots of trees down and power outages.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
I saw it through Brownsburg today they had a conventional cab GE in the lead and a heritage unit of some sort, a few passenger cars, an genesis GE loco in the middle and more passenger cars?  Must have been shuffling equipment from the Grove?
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
He was 2 hours and 18 min late out of Dyer Indiana.

mononradio

• Conductor
Eclectic Consist
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »
517 is one of the 20 GE 3200 horse road switchers built for Amtrak in 1991.  They have been mostly relegated to yard duties lately, although one has been on the Crescent routinely, as well as two on the Coast Starlight.
116 a repair job from a road crossing incident earlier this year
707 one of the New York Empire service dualmodes, New York is paying to have them repainted, one at a time because that is all they can spare
Look for another one to show up soon

The P42 in the middle would have been the leader of the Cardinal out of Washington yesterday

No clue why they lost the two hours west of Cincinnati

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
If I had to guess the weather played a factor.  Wicked winds with that storm front last night, lots of trees down and power outages.

How often is the line hirailed between Ind <> Coi <> Cin?  You'd think they'd send a truck down through around 3am to make sure the tracks are clear and everything was good to go... Also, what other freights and times besides P050/P051 use the line between those cities?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
How often is the line hirailed between Ind <> Coi <> Cin?  You'd think they'd send a truck down through around 3am to make sure the tracks are clear and everything was good to go... Also, what other freights and times besides P050/P051 use the line between those cities?

Someone who knows for sure will have to chime in, but I think if passenger trains run on a line it has to be hirailed daily (or at least when the passenger trains run). 

360/361 would run the line (if they don't go via Sidney). 360 would go thru in the evening, and 361 would probably be behind AMTRAK in the middle of the night.

CSX would incur considerable additional expense calling a track inspector out in the middle of the night on OT.  Then, if they do find something I think they need a second person to help clear anything so they aren't working alone.  I don't know what AMTRAK pays to run their train, but I bet it would be eaten up pretty quickly calling out inspectors in the middle of the night on OT. 

LimitedClear

• Conductor
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
I don't know all the details. There was a freight train having issues and took some time getting into McGonigle Siding.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
Not to worry, she won't be that late into Chicago.  Rode last Saturday and we left Indy on time and hit every stop on time all the way to Dyer, where I got off and I don't think we ever got over 50.  With way too much schedule padding, we dawdled our way to Chicago.
There isn't much pad at all until after Dyer. Track speed is 60, thus the reason for the "dawdling".

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 07:23:26 AM »
FRA wants two inspections a week (week starting Sunday ending Saturday) with art least one calendar day between inspections for all classes of track if you are carrying passengers. 

If an inspector gets called to run track for a storm it is up to his judgement to call for additional help depending on what he sees and how big of a tree he feels comfortable cutting out of the way.  If it's a whole tree across the track help will be most likely called in help if it's good sized, if just some limbs need trimmed then they will probably do it themselves.

As far as the OT the inspectors get a ton of it, there is always something happening on the mainline, car on the track, semi on the track, cold runs, heat runs, flood runs, storm runs, mechanical problem with a train that requires track inspection, it's always something.
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
Heads up to the north for a mid-day sighting of the Cardinal!  Amtrak 51 is nearly 4.5 hours late out of Indy; they lost 3:45 in New Jersey, no way to catch-up from that so early in the trip.  They arrived in Indy at 9:34 AM Sat 2/11/2017 and departed at 10:08 AM.  Just heard them get their EC-1 for the Crawfordsville Branch (but only to COR) at 10:15 AM.  Lead unit is AMTK 195.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
The Northeast had that Major Snow Storm. Cant mess with Mother Nature. 

mononradio

• Conductor
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
12:36 Indy time, and it appears 51 is about to get going north again.
They've been waiting for switching operations at CSX Lafayette yard.

mononradio

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
There were also caternary failures in and around NY Penn station, not necessarily weather related.
All those new electric locomotives are worthless when there is no juice.
One train got to sit 5 hours with no heat, toilet flush, or (gasp!!) Wi-Fi.
Cardinal was lucky to have gotten out at all.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »
I just saw a very late westbound Cardinal stopped on the B&O bridge over I-65 I-70 downtown.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
Anyone know the cause of 50's "service disruption" overnight?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
Anyone know the cause of 50's "service disruption" overnight?

Washouts/mud slides in WV

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
There's no way all 3 of these Amtrak trains (850, 851, and 51) are still out on the line this morning.  Did the 8/31/2018 Hoosier State experience a service disruption (other than 850 being delayed an hour-and-a-half last night), or did their final arrival time on each end just fail to get reported or logged?

High_Hood

• Fireman
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
According to Amtrak.com all 3 arrived
851 9:49am
850 12:51am
51 9:31am

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
It amazes me how Amtrak can be over an hour late to the first station leaving Chicago and itís just down the line. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »
More than Likely it was held up after it Departed Chicago Union Station. U forget that Amtrak has to Cross 5 different Railroads up there.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Cardinal/Hoosier State thru Indy
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
More than Likely it was held up after it Departed Chicago Union Station. U forget that Amtrak has to Cross 5 different Railroads up there.
I figured that much but I wasnít aware that they crossed 5 railroads to get on that line.  I imagine csx has to control some of those do they not? 

And any delay caused by the carrier, Amtrak can charge or fine them for that delay I believe

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
I've been seeing and hearing ads for the Hoosier State in the general Indianapolis-area media lately.  I see that today it (851) made its initial departure from Indy 1 hour and 20 minutes late.  It is currently reported as being 1 hour 24 minutes late at Dyer.  This does not bode well for trying to boost its ridership.  Anyone know the cause of the delay?

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »
I've been seeing and hearing ads for the Hoosier State in the general Indianapolis-area media lately.  I see that today it (851) made its initial departure from Indy 1 hour and 20 minutes late.  It is currently reported as being 1 hour 24 minutes late at Dyer.  This does not bode well for trying to boost its ridership.  Anyone know the cause of the delay?
Most of the time itís the railroad that Amtrak is running on that is cause for delay.  Up here they take priority over everything but that doesnít mean they donít get slowed down or even stopped for something not of their fault.  Maritime also takes precedence over any rail traffic so if one of multiple bridges go up thatís a minimum 15-20 minute delay right out the gate for east bound passengers.