Author Topic: PC Ghost  (Read 4313 times)

Chessie4155

• Chief Dispatcher
PC Ghost
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:44:54 PM »
Found this over at Fritchton, In. setting along side the old B&O St. Louis Mainline.
Chessie System Railroads
Purr-Fect Transportaion

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: PC Ghost
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
There is a road underpass in Anderson on #1 track that bears the PC emblem a-la the PRR art deco concrete bridges.  I need to check it out sometime, but I don't believe it is on Madison St.

While working the Muncie flyer a few years ago, there was a former Conrail engine that you could see the PC emblem starting to show through the paint.

As an aside, growing up in Northern IL on a CNW branch, the CIW's former CNW Geep with the 'route of the streamliners' slogan showing through always brings a tear to my eye.

Practice Safe CSX

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:22:48 PM »
The overpass over US 31 at Grissom AFB has PC logos in the concrete as well.  Though perhaps the bridge is gone now.

Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

rogerhensley

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:57:55 AM »
There is a road underpass in Anderson on #1 track that bears the PC emblem a-la the PRR art deco concrete bridges.  I need to check it out sometime, but I don't believe it is on Madison St.

It is Madison Ave.
The bridge was built wide enough to handle a four lane road. That hasn't come about.
:-)
Roger Hensley

Railroads of Madison County - (NYC and More) - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/
East Central Indiana HO RR - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_new.html

Steve Bryan

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »
I recently saw something similar.  I was traveling down a highway in New Mexico this past May and saw a trailer with "Pennsylvania" still very readable sitting in a field along the road.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera handy. :'(

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
It is Madison Ave.
The bridge was built wide enough to handle a four lane road. That hasn't come about.
:-)

I guess I need to actually venture up there some morning. 

IN 9 over by the old Guide plant is getting to be four lanes just in time for the old plant to become a giant field.  Maybe they can plant corn in the vacant lots in Anderson to feed the Ethanol plants.  Would be kind of fitting...corn fields become developements while old developements become corn again.

It would be nice if the C&S department would put the gates on a circuit when going from the siding to the main at that crossing.  You have to wait to get the signal until you are ready to move.  When the ID gives you the signal, the gates come down.

Practice Safe CSX

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:46:04 AM »
The bridge over US 31 at Grissom is still very much there. Eventually it is planned to include it into an Extension of the Cardinal Greenway/Sweetster Switch trail onto Logansport to hook up with the local trails and the Panhandle Pathway being built from Kenneth to Winamac. By the way, I noticed an old PC covered hopper this past week in Kokomo on the WSRY (ex-PRR) line near Kokomo Grain. Emblems were still very visible. Years ago there was a long string of PC boxcars sitting between Sweetster and Marion's Goodman yard on the old PRR Columbus line that have since disappeared. I wondered if they were scrapped? I know part of the ROW they formerly sat on is now part of the Sweetster Switch trail. Jay

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 01:49:52 AM »
I almost forgot, there was another PC trailer sitting at a business along SR 26 in Lafayette just east of the Caterpillar Belt line lead a couple of years ago. I believe it is a welding shop. Also, next to the PRR Yard A area in Logansport, there is a New Holland tractor dealer that has an old Illinois Central trailer parked behind their business in clear view.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »
There quite a few B&O, C&O, and SCL trailers at and just south of CSX's Howell yard on the south side of Evansville. And they are right next to howell yard which is always pretty busy.
                                    Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »
There use to be a C&O for Progress trailer setting just north of Cincinnati's downtown.  Also there was a PRR trailer in a farmer field outside of Hamilton Ohio for some time.  It disappeared around 98'.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
There is an old Erie Railroad container body sitting next to the old Pensylvania R.R. r-o-w at Ripley, In. which is near Winamac,In. :o

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
Last summer in Huntington I saw not only a Southern RR trailer in the trailer lot near the old Erie yard, but there was a vehicle rental place at the corner of US24 & 9 that had an old Southern Hi-rail.  Never did get around to seeing what they wanted for it.  I haven't seen it in about 6 months....  :'(

E.J.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
Not PC Ghost, but an NYC Ghost.  Pic is of DJJX 7422 at Sunman IN in January of this year.  Car was being removed from revenue service at that time, and was subsequently sold to Nucor Steel in Jackson MS where it is serving out it's finals days as an intra-plant car.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
Hey Scrap, always wondered why we weren't forced to get a Tet shot before walking within a few feet of those cars.  Some of them were in such bad shape.  I feel for ya, having to crawl all over them...     ;D

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »
Come on now, not ALL my cars are that bad   ;D

Witness this one coming out of the paint booth in Buffalo last month  (See, I do have SOME good looking cars!)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
LOL, I recall a DJJX car I was told to pull out of Hamilton one evening on the 444 out of Cincy.  We stopped and I cut off backed down and being dark I almost walked into the side of the gon, because it was sticking out due to a large piece of scrap having blown out the side.  I didn't take the car that night..   :o

Some of those scrap yards are nasty places aren't they!  They sure don't care about the cars either..

Red P

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »
And dont forget there is also a lot of the PC ghosting on covered hoppers

LJ

• President
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
There have been quite a few of those Penn Central hoppers floating around on the old Monon here lately.

LJ

• President
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:12 PM »
The Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum has a former Penn Central ( ex. Pennsylvania ) boxcar that they plan to restore in Penn Central colors next year. I believe that the P.R.R. had built the car. It is a 50' car. It looks like a minature version of a high cube boxcar.

PeruTrains

• Brakeman
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »
The overpass over US 31 at Grissom AFB has PC logos in the concrete as well.  Though perhaps the bridge is gone now.

Good News for you! The bridge is not gone and still looks very nice even with its age! I live about a half mile from the bridge, and the tracks are about 3 blocks away from my house. Wish the trains still went threw : ( I will have to take a pic and post.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
I still see some PC cars come through Elkhart once in a great while.  They seem to stay together.  I believe they are gondolas and I want to say about 3 years back I saw not 1 but 2 box cars.

j-train

• Brakeman
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »
There are several ex-PC boxcars that seem to be in captive service on the Old Road.  All still wear Jade Green, have been relettered KLLX (Kellog's), and most have the mating worms showing through the paint.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »
There are still some new york central jade green gons that have the oval logo showing through, i believe they are DJJX cars.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »
How fitting.  If Scrappy reads this he should know more on the Jade DJJX's.

And by the way Scrappy, I'm getting those Thrall's with DJJX....FINALLY.

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 05:27:50 PM »
I have a update on an earlier post I made on this thread. The PC semi trailer along SR 26 in Lafayette is gone, as is the entire welding business building. It looks to have been razed recently. This is at Farabee(spelling?) Lane near the Post Office. Farabee looks to have been widened, as was the intersection at SR 26, probably the reason the business is gone. I wonder if the trailer went to the scrapper, hope not! Jay

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »
I have a update on an earlier post I made on this thread. The PC semi trailer along SR 26 in Lafayette is gone, as is the entire welding business building. It looks to have been razed recently. This is at Farabee(spelling?) Lane near the Post Office. Farabee looks to have been widened, as was the intersection at SR 26, probably the reason the business is gone. I wonder if the trailer went to the scrapper, hope not! Jay

Funny you should mention a PC trailer in Lafayette.  Just south of the Depot and Pedestrian Bridge downtown, facing the tracks behind the Social Security Building is a trailer with faded PC logo on the side.

Practice Safe CSX

LJ

• President
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
Up til about seven years ago there use to be two of those old P.C. semi trailers that use to sit underneath the I-65 bridge south of Battle Ground, In. A couple years ago one was sitting in Kroger's parking lot at Monticello,In. And I remember about five of them sitting west of Wabash,In. near where Wabash Alloys is located on old24. ;D

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »
There is an exterior post PC trailer sitting on the west side of I-69 just north of the Ashley-Hudson exit.  It's being used to hold up a billboard.

E.J.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »
You can park that one in Shelbyville anytime.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.