Author Topic: Fountain County  (Read 1165 times)

ATAIndy

• Conductor
Fountain County
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
I can get Fountain County checked off the list with these couple of shots:

WB Fed. 4th.

WB at Attica on Feb. 15th.

EB on March 19th.

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
Re: Fountain County
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:49 AM »
Dangit!  I was hoping to be able to get back there sometime soon and get some pics up there before anyone else!  I grew up in Veedersburg (hardly anything there to take pics of anymore).  Great shots ATA!!!

;D

ATAIndy

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Thanks! Of course you can add your own, I'd love to see them!

rej70

• Conductor
  • take the pictures before it's gone!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »
What's all that trackage in the 2nd photo?

monon43

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
ATAIndy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that that pic is taken from the Perry street railroad crossing looking north.  That southbound train will curve to the west and cross over the Wabash River.  For eastbound trains, as soon as they cross the river an 11,000' passing siding begins (which is what you see in the pic) and runs all the way up to Riverside.

Attica's not a bad place to watch trains in West Central IN, especially because of this siding.  Lot of meets seem to occur here.

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
Haven't been to Veedersburg in years, is anything still left?  I remember the old NKP depot as being a stone design, is it still around?

Thanks!

ATAIndy

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
ATAIndy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that that pic is taken from the Perry street railroad crossing looking north.  That southbound train will curve to the west and cross over the Wabash River.  For eastbound trains, as soon as they cross the river an 11,000' passing siding begins (which is what you see in the pic) and runs all the way up to Riverside.

Attica's not a bad place to watch trains in West Central IN, especially because of this siding.  Lot of meets seem to occur here.

You pretty much nailed it. I was just off of Perry St on a little road called North St that allows you to look down the tracks better. The passing siding doesn't actually begin until just behind the engine. The foreground track is a spur to a massive grain elevator on the other side of town.

Attica is a pretty neat place to watch trains because like you said, there are frequently meets. There is also a MofW track that sometimes has goodies in it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:52:33 AM by ATAIndy »

monon43

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »
Haven't been to Veedersburg in years, is anything still left?  I remember the old NKP depot as being a stone design, is it still around?

Thanks!

My avatar is the NKP depot you're referring to.  I don't believe it's made out of stone - probably brick for the foundation since there were a couple of brick plants in town, but the main portion of the structure is wood.

Aside from the depot, there's virtually nothing around to remind anyone that there used to be 3 different railroads running through town.  The US41/US136 overpass east of town was filled in several years ago.  The old P&E bridge in Sterling was still intact (I think).  The old concrete bridge over Coal Creek is still there.  Unless you know where to look, the reminders are hard to see.