Author Topic: B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg  (Read 9189 times)

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
Re: B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
Do you have any maps with Montclair and westward?

The files are too large to e-mail, but here is the link to where I found the Danville, IN quadrant map (it's not the entire county, but Montclaire is on this one):

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=262:18:0::NO:RP:P18_STATE%2CP18_SCALE%2CP18_MAP_NAME%2CP18_MAP_TYPE:IN%2CALL%2C%5CDanville%5C%2CHistorical

Once there, go to the 13th row down and click on the green-and-blue square under the "Download GeoPDF" column.  That will open it as a .zip file, which you can then unpack.

Here is the link to where you can search for any historic topographical map:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=262:1:3091297665244

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:23 PM »
Awesome thread!  Growing up in Hendricks County I have always been fascinated by the B&O line, and the Vandalia in Plainfield. My grandmother had a farm house in Pittsboro just a mile or so north of this line. Growing up in the 80's and 90's I must have crossed those rails at CR 400E & 500E hundreds of times on our way to her house from southern Hendricks county.  Although I can't remember ever seeing any train activity on it.  It's too bad that the B&O trail hasn't fully been connected to the entire county. I wish I could bike the entire way from the Marion County side all the way past North Salem and relive some of the sights that those train operators experienced.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 01:33:35 AM »
I wish I could bike the entire way from the Marion County side all the way past North Salem and relive some of the sights that those train operators experienced.

slowly but surely its coming to life. with about 4-4.5 miles of clear path in both directions from the white lick creek in brownsburg, i'd hope thats enough to get washington's attention for some bridge work to finish connecting the segments together.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.