Author Topic: B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg  (Read 8795 times)

ATAIndy

• Conductor
B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »
Went with a friend on a day of my last Spring Break ever to check out the remnants of the B&O bridge over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg. Someday this is supposed to be the B&O rail trail but a pedestrian bridge here will cost a pretty penny and someone will have to pay for it.

-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

doublestacks

• Mogul
Re: B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
now that is really cool! i may have to make a trip to go see this.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Why is this photo no longer showing on here? Just curious.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Have designs on doing a model of this bridge and the photo vanishes lol

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of when this line was active?  It passes about three miles south of my house.  When I was I kid I went to a baby sitter whose house backed up to the tracks at 200 west in Hendricks county, I can remember seeing trains pass by back then. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:12 AM »
Does anyone have pictures of when this line was active?  It passes about three miles south of my house.  When I was I kid I went to a baby sitter whose house backed up to the tracks at 200 west in Hendricks county, I can remember seeing trains pass by back then.

Lookup Bluejacket on YouTube. Guy was a caboose crewman back on the B&O. Really neat footage of the line.

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »
Lookup Bluejacket on YouTube. Guy was a caboose crewman back on the B&O. Really neat footage of the line.
He was actually the track supervisor on that portion of the ex-B&O Decatur Subdivision (which was across from my backyard where I grew up) from 1982-85.  Here are the links.

In this first video, the bridge which is the topic of this thread is seen at 2:16.

There is indeed some fascinating footage on these clips, including the Roachdale area, the west side of Indy, thru downtown and CP-IU, and a bit on the Hamilton Sub (which today is the CSX Indianapolis Subdivision).

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
Those are neat videos, thanks for the links!  I am trying to figure out where that switch would have been around 2:50 in the first video, I know it was somewhere between White Lick Creek bridge and North Salem, but I do not recognize any land marks when the train passes over that switch for that short film section?  Any help anyone?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:53:35 PM by SankyInbound »

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
I am trying to figure out where that switch would have been around 2:50 in the first video, I know it was somewhere between White Lick Creek bridge and North Salem,

I'm fairly certain that was the short siding at Maplewood, just northeast of the intersection of CR 500N and CR 100E.  My best friend grew up there and recalled they would use a small siding there to park MoW vehicles (and even camp cars during the track-upgrade work) on it. 

The scene before that was the very crossing I used to ride my bike to, at MP 140 in Tilden.  There was a siding there too, but he was shooting his video along the north side of the track at that point (where his friend is in the blue Ford hi-rail truck) and the siding there was on the south side of the main, same as the shorter one in Maplewood.

In the following scene, at 3:18, that's the curve approaching North Salem from the east.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »
Thanks for the help, that scene with the high rail truck on the north side of the ROW is definitely Tilden, those pine trees are still there and much larger and that barn is still standing there as well.

After looking at that first video more closely on a bigger screen, at 2:46, when the video first changes scenes from Tilden to Maplewood, it looks like you can see the end of a siding just north and west of CR 500 as the train approaches Maplewood (it is hard to tell but it sure looks like there was two sets of tracks crossing CR 500 and you can see the siding come back into the main just past the crossing).  Then at 2:50 you can see a second switch that curves to the south and you can follow the tracks until they are out of frame and I never see them come back onto the main even past CR 100 E, then the video is on to the next scene.  My only guess is that dead end spur was to serve a granary or fertilizer depot years ago? 

I can only remember seeing a handful of trains on this line, and remember when they pulled up the rail, and leveled off the old crossing at CR 200 W.  This video is really neat, it is amazing how much the area has changed, the CO-OP at North Salem sure looked active as did the small elevator at Barnard, the activity at the Roachdale depot handing off orders, and in part 2 the elevator at Milligan, and the neat bridge crossing a road and old ROW in Guion (in his remarks about the video he states there was once a connecting track between the two roads in Guion, it looks to be in the north west quad), now all shades of the past...

I have attached a google earth image from 2012 where the trees seem to define where the tracks might have been.  Also note the empty concrete pad towards the beginning of the spur.

The video going through Indianapolis shows quite a few tracks still intact at Union station and it looks like there was still a track going into the Georgia street building.  I worked with some Conrail old heads at Hawthorne yard and they remember working out of that building years ago.  They had a high rail shop there and kept the vehicle fleet up to par.  They said when the division engineer wanted to make a trip they did a full inspection of the high rail gear then had to make sure they had the right donuts in the truck!  Haha...

I get a newsletter about once a quarter from the trail association talking about progress on the trail.  It sure would be neat to have it finished, but I know a lot of folks who aren't excited about having random people using an old grade for a walk way that is right in their back yard.  Many other states have trails that stretch from one side of the state to the other, I think the B&O would be a great candidate for such a trail.  And when you pull up the plat book, some sections have reverted back to adjacent property owners, some sections the trail association has, and other sections say CSX holds the title.  There sure has been a lot of bridges removed on the line as well, two near North Salem, one in Guion, and the one over US-41.  I have a friend near the old US-41 bridge and he says they just replaced it before it was abandoned, doesn't make much sense...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:51:58 PM by SankyInbound »

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
After looking at that first video more closely on a bigger screen, at 2:46, when the video first changes scenes from Tilden to Maplewood, it looks like you can see the end of a siding just north and west of CR 500 as the train approaches Maplewood (it is hard to tell but it sure looks like there was two sets of tracks crossing CR 500 and you can see the siding come back into the main just past the crossing).  Then at 2:50 you can see a second switch that curves to the south and you can follow the tracks until they are out of frame and I never see them come back onto the main even past CR 100 E, then the video is on to the next scene.  My only guess is that dead end spur was to serve a granary or fertilizer depot years ago? 
I am certain there were not two sets of tracks crossing CR 500 on the east side of Maplewood during my lifetime, but according to this photo, at one time there must have been, if the description of the accident is accurate.  In the photo you will see that there was indeed a small elevator in Maplewood proper, which is surely what the stub track you outlined above had served (the remains of the concrete pad).

There sure has been a lot of bridges removed on the line as well, two near North Salem, one in Guion, and the one over US-41.  I have a friend near the old US-41 bridge and he says they just replaced it before it was abandoned, doesn't make much sense...
I read elsewhere on this board that White Construction from Clinton had built the new bridge over US41 during the summer of '87.

I need to dig out the handful of photos I took of this line in the 1980s and post them.  I only wish I had taken more!

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 12:44:51 AM »
Dig out those photos!  Where did you find that photo of the wreck?

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Why is this photo no longer showing on here? Just curious.
They were originally posted on flickr and linked here. They've apparently either been removed or moved.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
Well, the passing track with the phone box is Tilden. John and Bev Hettenvans house in the background. Maple wood was stub ended by this point with the eastward switch intact. North Salem was double ended. Fertilizer joint.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
You can look up the accident report on the Maplewood wreck as well. Collection of ICC accident reports. Was thinking it was 1913. In any event, the eastbound with Owen and company over ran a meet order.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Actually a hold order the more I think about it. Actually printed the report off of the accident site. Believe they were supposed to hold at Roachdale. The job working Maplewood had the railroad. The head man on this job saw the approaching eastbounds headlight out at Montclair. The eastbound never responded when the head man waved him down with his lantern. The report concluded that Owen and his fireman must have fallen asleep. All of this happened in the early morning hours between 4-6 a.m.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
And Bluejacket was the roadmaster assigned the Indianapolis end of the world. Basically a m.o.w. trainmaster. Engineering guy. A really good egg. And while I'm at it could someone re-post the pier pics lol

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »
I thought this might be of interest on this thread.  I found historic topo maps from 1953 for Hendricks County.  According to them, here is what the track arrangements were in Tilden and Maplewood in that year.  The Tilden siding then was just as I remembered it from the late 70's on.  Maplewood was still double-ended in 1953, but the siding wasn't long enough to cross Co Rd 500 N then (but it may well have years earlier).

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Do you have any maps with Montclair and westward?

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »

I used to hike between Montclair and N. Salem until they pulled up the tracks.  That was a favorite place...

-- Russ

BourdonBoy

• Superintendent
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »

The files are too large to e-mail, but here is the link to where I found the Danville, IN quadrant map (it's not the entire county, but Montclaire is on this one):

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=262:18:0::NO:RP:P18_STATE%2CP18_SCALE%2CP18_MAP_NAME%2CP18_MAP_TYPE:IN%2CALL%2C%5CDanville%5C%2CHistorical

Once there, go to the 13th row down and click on the green-and-blue square under the "Download GeoPDF" column.  That will open it as a .zip file, which you can then unpack.

Here is the link to where you can search for any historic topographical map:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=262:1:3091297665244

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:23 PM »
Awesome thread!  Growing up in Hendricks County I have always been fascinated by the B&O line, and the Vandalia in Plainfield. My grandmother had a farm house in Pittsboro just a mile or so north of this line. Growing up in the 80's and 90's I must have crossed those rails at CR 400E & 500E hundreds of times on our way to her house from southern Hendricks county.  Although I can't remember ever seeing any train activity on it.  It's too bad that the B&O trail hasn't fully been connected to the entire county. I wish I could bike the entire way from the Marion County side all the way past North Salem and relive some of the sights that those train operators experienced.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 01:33:35 AM »
I wish I could bike the entire way from the Marion County side all the way past North Salem and relive some of the sights that those train operators experienced.

slowly but surely its coming to life. with about 4-4.5 miles of clear path in both directions from the white lick creek in brownsburg, i'd hope thats enough to get washington's attention for some bridge work to finish connecting the segments together.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.