Author Topic: Pennsy Bridge - Plainfield  (Read 727 times)

doublestacks

• President
Pennsy Bridge - Plainfield
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Went for another excursion today to see the remnants of the former PRR bridge over the West Fork of the White Lick Creek in Plainfield. This would be located between Franklin Park and the Plainfield Aquatic Center. I couldnt find any stamps or keystones on the bridge from what i could see. The abutment on the west bank of the creek is about 35 ft high and fenced off for peoples' safety. Judging by the looks and the evidance on the bank I wonder if this was a steel frame bridge?

Also I think some wood piling is visible in the water as pictured. What do you guys think? On the west bank you can see where the old limestone block abutment was chisseled away the poured concrete abutment. Im beginning to wonder if there isnt evidance of 2 if not 3 generations of bridges for the route. The elevated grade is still in tact with ballast still visible in the wooded section from the west abutment adjacent to the aquatic center.

There wasnt any evidance of the interurban railroad having its own abutments like the one pictured in the east fork thread. From what i could see of the grade it looked to be single track only.

As I came up on the west abutment i introduced myself to the teenagers as a railroad buff and ended up summing up the history for them in a nutshell. I guess the group didnt believe the one girl that thaught it was a RR bridge untill i came along. haha, looks like i did my good deed for the day. 8)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:00:37 AM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

doublestacks

• President
Re: Pensy Bridge - Plainfield
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
Here is the rest. The embankment was very steep but you can get up and down both sides of the west abutment.

ATAIndy

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Nice shots, I should get around to posting mine of the B&O over White Lick Creek in Brownsburg.
-Representing the Purdue Railroad Club
http://prrc.purdue.org

doublestacks

• President
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:55 PM »
Thanks. and thats cool. lets see them!

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
There wasnt any evidance of the interurban railroad having its own abutments like the one pictured in the east fork thread. From what i could see of the grade it looked to be single track only.

Always good to teach the young people a little railroad history. At this creek the interurban was south of US40. The Pennsy and THI&E split where the PRR crossed US40 with the THI&E continuing along the south side of 40, diverging a little as it entered Plainfield and running in Buchanan Street. The car barn and depot both still stand.

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
Re: Pennsy Bridge - Plainfield
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
I don't know about it's final incarnation, but at one time the span was a wooden covered bridge. 

E.J.

doublestacks

• President
Re: Pennsy Bridge - Plainfield
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
Neat, then that would explain the wood piling in picture 8 in the first post.