Author Topic: I've never seen anything like this.....  (Read 1269 times)

IU_Tower

• Mogul
I've never seen anything like this.....
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »
This is from Google Earth in Vincennes. I've never seen a causeway built across a gravel pit before. It looks like the tracks were pulled up a while back though. Does anyone have any photos of trains using this spur? Is this still intact? It may have made for a decent Trivia topic if I hadn't posted this..... :P

doublestacks

• Mogul
Re: I've never seen anything like this.....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
very interesting. i wonder if that was someones game of monopoly right there. perhaps the railroad was there first and then the miners came in and dug on both sides since they wouldnt move.

It would be a bit problematic trying to build a railroad on lake fill unless it had alot of concrete chunks in it. Even then it would take a while to stop settling.

Just a guess.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

SX1979

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »
The pits in this photo were dug in the mid 60's and used for "fill" in the construction of Hwy 41. The strip of land going thru the middle of the pit is the location of a buried pipe, there is also a gap in the middle of the "strip" with the pipe exposed for about 20'. Mantle ditch exits the big gravel pit on the North side of 41 and winds it's way South thru the field, where an overflow ditch from this pit connects and then flows past the Knox County Jail on the way to the Wabash River. In the 70's, my friends and I would take my small john boat and paddle down the ditch and over into here to fish. We caught a lot of crappie and bass out of there. If we were fishing on the side towards the  tracks, we would get the added bonus of catching a couple of trains too. We used to be able to drive along the tracks and get fairly close to the water when there was only the one siding going into what was Wick's Lumber, but now there are more tracks making access impossible. Haven't fished there for over 20 years.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
Pipeline.... gotcha.

From the air it just looks like an old abandoned spur into an industry.