Author Topic: Looking to get a DSLR  (Read 975 times)

Allaboard321

• Conductor
Looking to get a DSLR
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
I am looking to upgrade to a DSLR for both my use railfanning and other things and my sister is getting into photography so also for her use. Right now I am looking to get a getting a Canon T3 with the 18-55mm lens and getting the cheapest 75-300mm, f4-5.6 telephoto lens for the farther shots. What do you think of this? Is it worth the extra money to get the T3i vs the T3? I am also wondering if there is a better option than the 75-300mm lens that can be picked up for around $100.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:27:25 PM by Allaboard321 »
Charge your camera battery BEFORE you go to the tracks.

E-Unit

• President
Re: Looking to get a DSLR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »
what is your total budget?
Prairie Maverick.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
I would be reluctant letting the sister use the camera. High dollar item and you'll get a "I didn't mean to......".  ::)
Use your best judgment.  ;)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
Agree. Accidents happen and something else if they are getting into it make them show they have the desire and get a prosumer grade camera first then move up.

Allaboard321

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
I would be reluctant letting the sister use the camera. High dollar item and you'll get a "I didn't mean to......".  ::)
Use your best judgment.  ;)

That is what the accidental damage coverage is for  ;D She has been using the point and shoot for about a year now posting pictures on websites and has actually got a pretty good following of people.

what is your total budget?
It is a really really early Birthday/Christmas present for me and my sister. Since I am going to be going out to the grand canyon and places this year.  Looking between 600-700 but if something is really worth spending the little extra I could get it to 700-800. And that is with accidental damage coverage,bag,sdhc cards, extra lens.
Charge your camera battery BEFORE you go to the tracks.

NW Indy Railfan

• Fireman
  • Just a railfan living in NW Indpls
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
I've had a T3i for the past 15 months - nice camera.  I have the Canon 55-250 mm zoom lens, which runs about $150 if you purchase it with the camera. 

Some day after my kids graduate from college (2022, but who's counting), I'm going to spend some $ on a nicer camera and better lenses.

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
Canon & Nikon have 80% of the market and that gives them power with retailers and in advertizing. Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic Lumix all make very good cameras as well so don't overlook them.

I prefer Pentax because it has a better 'sealed' (dust and moisture) body at the price point I can afford, It has very good low light performance. It also has a better selection of lenses in the price range I can afford.

That last point need explanation. If you want really top lenses and want to buy new Canon/Nikon have you covered but we're talking $2,000 to $4,000 lenses. I can't do that. I can afford some very good used lenses for my Pentax because there are a large number of them for sale because Pentax hasnít changed its lens mount design for 40 years and that includes the autofocus lenses that started in the 1980's. No other brand can offer this advantage. I have lenses from 28mm to 70-300 and very few of them cost me over $100. On the Pentax Forum there are reviews and pricing info on 100's of lenses that are good for the newest cameras and you can get an idea on what to buy and what to steer clear of.

I wish I had some train photos handy but these move faster. These have not been retouched.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.