Author Topic: Logansport's Railroad History  (Read 4324 times)

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
Logansport's Railroad History
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
Searching for info on a siding featured in my latest trivia thread, I found these:

http://casscountyin.tripod.com/CCHS/Railroad_History.html

http://www.historicmapsrestored.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/USLO0001_b_374x300.jpg

I'm hoping to find more.
16 down, 4 to go.

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
Re: Logansport's Railroad History
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:01 AM »
I just did a presentation last month for my son's 4 grade class with ALOT of Logan and Kokomo railroad history. It was nice as I received letters from every kid in the class in appreciation for giving my time. Really lifted my spirits on a bad day.
Did you realize that siding almost went to the next county road North of Lincoln? Alot of railroad history has been lost, but hopefully we can fill in some of the questions.  Anything you need to know hopefully I could answer, or others here on the forum can as well. Jay

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
You woldn't happen to know of any maps of railroads within the city limits would you?
16 down, 4 to go.

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »
You woldn't happen to know of any maps of railroads within the city limits would you?
I would have to do some digging on the net, as I don't have any available right now. The street railway would be the hard one to find as it went from Spencer Park and on West to Wilkenson Street with spurs going North from Sixth Street and many more. I have a couple of valuation maps of PRR showing some of the trackage as well as some old aerials somewhere on a cd in TIFF format somewhere in my collection courtesy of another railfan. Lastly another great resource is an old Aerial photo collection from 1929 somewhere on Purdue's website that shows alot of Logansport. You might find a way to this in the "links" area of this website, though that site in particular might have been moved as I don't think I could bring it up last time I checked. It is called Mosiac of Wabash River or something like that. Anything in particular you are looking for? I will have more time this weekend to post any info I can help you with. Jay

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
IF you remember from my latest trivia section post, I used the remains of the old Wabash siding behind Baker Specialty. That was the original reason for my curiosity, but now a full map would be great.
16 down, 4 to go.

rej70

• Conductor
  • take the pictures before it's gone!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
they sold copies of Pennsylvania railroad's Vandalia line track plan through downtown at the railroad museum in North Judson, when I was there about 2009.

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
may have to look into that. :)
16 down, 4 to go.

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »

Jay
You doing this presentation may be the only source of local history these kids will ever see. I remember in school there was not much at all if any coverage of local history.

Thanks for your contribution.

Jim

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »
It was a joy to do. I even found a couple of young railfans in the group. It was also nice to talk to two more kids that talked off walking on the tracks and I was able to give them a safety lesson on why they shouldn't do that. I went a little overboard with over 200 slides and could have made it another 50 or more easily if I had the time, but it was nice to share the knowledge with them and watch their faces as they passed around artifacts like part of some rail and a spike. I hope the teacher makes this an annual thing. Maybe when we do the "tour" we always joke about, I can bring this along for everyone to see. Jay

CIC-CEI-CAS

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
I have a copy of a blueprint of the yards A & B along U.S.35....but I need to find it.
Jim Thomas

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
Thanks Jim.  ;D
16 down, 4 to go.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
It was a joy to do. I even found a couple of young railfans in the group. It was also nice to talk to two more kids that talked off walking on the tracks and I was able to give them a safety lesson on why they shouldn't do that. I went a little overboard with over 200 slides and could have made it another 50 or more easily if I had the time, but it was nice to share the knowledge with them and watch their faces as they passed around artifacts like part of some rail and a spike. I hope the teacher makes this an annual thing. Maybe when we do the "tour" we always joke about, I can bring this along for everyone to see. Jay
Powerpoint slides? Any chance you could save that as a pdf and post it up here?
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

k9fon

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
Did the PRR ever have a hump yard in Logansport?

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »
Probably not at this time as I have some work to do before I could post it publicly. One day I hope to share it with everybody.
I believe the Yard A was supposed to have humps on either end at some time. If you look at Google earth, I believe someone has a picture posted of the hump control at one of the ends of the yard.

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
Did the PRR ever have a hump yard in Logansport?

It's still there, sort of. US Rail and TP&W use what remains for shifting and kicking cars. I've seen it happen. ;D
16 down, 4 to go.

Eel_River

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
I use the attached 1876 map in my presentations.  It was dated before the TH&L was constructed to South Bend, but is otherwise accurate. 

Just to the left of the red “Eel River” is the ERR’s original roundhouse, north of the track just east of present-day Garden St.  When PRR acquired the ERR in 1901, PRR built the larger roundhouse where the Pepsi and Exide factories are now located, north of the track, west of 3rd St. and south of Water St.  This was Yard X on later maps.

Yards A & B were the main PRR yards south and north of the Wabash River respectively.  The Wabash RR had tracks in Yard B.

Yard C was west of Logansport, just east Kenneth, a/k/a Trimer, where the line was built north to Royal Center to replace the 1861 track that overpassed the ERR on the attached map.  The climb up to the overpass was too steep.  Passenger trains continued to use the old route for a while because it was shorter, but freight was sent west to Kenneth, then north to Chicago.

I made the ERR presentation in Logansport about ten years ago and it was well attended.  I’ve been researching these lines for 20+ years and am still amazed that given all of the RR history in Logansport, there are no apparent resident RR historians there.  I’ve had exceptionally limited contact with anyone there.

Craig Berndt

JGN

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
Craig, I am not sure what your definition of resident railroad historians is, but if you will, include me! There was the late Rudy Strauch, and Conductor Carl Simons who I believe is still down at the Iron Horse Museum that did their part of keeping local railroad history alive. Lots of great photographers that know some history including John Troxler. I don't know if they still have their railroad retirees breakfast anymore here in Logansport, but I bet they would have some good stories. Glad to hear there was a great turnout at your presentation. I was probably consumed with work and a new baby at that time so I probably didn't hear about it else I would have been there. I hope to catch one of your presentations one of these days as I have always heard many appreciative folks that attended one of them talk of how informative you are. I appreciate your research and knowledge you have shared here on the bull session and other forums. Jay

Eel_River

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Jay:

I didn’t know about the breakfast get-togethers, or you and others as resident historians.  Now that I know, I'd like to have the opportunity to meet with all of you. 

I corresponded with John Troxler and we shared photos many years ago, but I didn’t know he was an LPort historian. 

I met Rudy Strauch 20+ years ago.  A photo of his model of the Van depot is attached.  What happened to it?  His railroad reminisces gave me ballpark dates for research into various RR activities.  I wish he was here (as I do a thousand railroaders).

So….  What questions about LPort railroading are unanswered?

Craig

chiefeagle202

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »
Here are some photos I took this winter of what is left of the A yard

Trainman19

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »
I have similar photos myself, but not all from winter time.  ;D
16 down, 4 to go.