Author Topic: Linden Depot Museum 20th Anniversary Opening  (Read 1822 times)

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
Linden Depot Museum 20th Anniversary Opening
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
From the Crawfordsville Journal-Review--

LINDEN — The Linden Depot will celebrate its 20th anniversary as a museum from noon to 5 p.m. April 13. Special guests have been invited, including one area woman who was recognized as railroad royalty in 1948.

The special guest is Marilyn Barnard of West Lafayette. She had the distinction of being named Miss Monon in 1948 and represented the Monon Railroad at the two-year long Chicago Railroad Fair along the shores of Lake Michigan. Barnard will be describe her experience of representing the Monon Railroad at the fair and will answer questions.

The fair, which was held in Chicago, was big news throughout the United States and the world as every major railroad featured exhibits and demostrations.

Barnard wrote about the fair in Monon Memories and described her excitement when she and her mother made the trip to the big city.

“On our arrival at Chicago we were met by two Monon officials, Mr. Pfister and Mr. Schram,” Barnard wrote. “They took us to the Empire Room at the Palmer House for lunch. Well I had never been to Chicago and don’t think I had ever ridden a train before. I can’t tell you how special I felt. I felt like I was the queen already and we hadn’t had the contest yet. It was really a thrill. After lunch they took us on an extended tour of Chicago and it was a thrilling experience for me. Afterward they took us to the Stevens Hotel where we stayed.”

Barnard competed against other contestants for the Queen of the Railroad Fair and even though she did not win, she wrote it was “an experience of a lifetime.”

“Well, I did not win but I was not disappointed because I had a wonderful time any way,” Barnard said. “So the following day we returned home. Back in Lafayette my head was in the clouds for many days after that because it was a really thrilling experience for me. It was one of the highlights of my life.”

The opening event celebration is free.

The Linden Depot, the only surviving junction depot in Indiana, was built in 1908. The depot was restored in the 1980’s, and opened as a museum April 13, 1993.

As with any older building, repairs need to be made. It was discovered there is major deterioration of the exterior face boards. The problem was detected recently while attempting to fix a drainage problem on the property. The museum directors will use the open house to kick off fundraising efforts for the repairs.

“Through the years a drainage problem has occurred on the musuem’s property and runoff goes toward the depot,” Linden Depot Museum Board President Gary Vierck said. “Years ago there was no problem but as development occurred around the depot building the direction of the water runoff changed. This is a major concern and we need to get the problem corrected.”

The first step to fixing the drainage problem will be to obtain the money for the repairs.

“Since the problem is exposed right now at the museum, we are hoping people will see the need we have,” Vierck said. “We hope people will want to give so we can correct our problem.”

A donation of 6,000 historical bricks will be part of the solution, Vierck said.

“We have the donation of the bricks and we had a donation from a local farmer to excavate the area,” he said. “We plan on using the bricks to construct a brick platform around the building. Of course, the base is the most important thing with the platform after we replace the boards to help keep water away from the building.”

Donations may be sent to the museum at Linden Depot Museun, P.O. Box 154, Linden, IN 47955.

The Linden Depot Museum will open for the season on Friday. Museum hours are noon to 5 p.m. every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through October. Admission is $4 for adults and $1 for children 12 years old and under. The museum is located on U.S. 231 in Linden.

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
Re: Linden Depot Museum 20th Anniversary Opening
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
One line of this story jumped out at me.  "The Linden Depot, the only surviving junction depot in Indiana, was built in 1908. The depot was restored in the 1980’s, and opened as a museum April 13, 1993."  Is that accurate?  There are no other depots left in Indiana at a junction?

rwadams

• President
  • CSX Indiana Subdivision
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
The Linden Depot, the only surviving junction depot in Indiana, was built in 1908. The depot was restored in the 1980’s, and opened as a museum April 13, 1993.

What exactly constitutes a Junction Depot?
The Old B&O Depot in North Vernon sits right in the southeast quad of the CMPA and CSX diamond.
Just curious.

Rog :D
Just never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
What exactly constitutes a Junction Depot?
The Old B&O Depot in North Vernon sits right in the southeast quad of the CMPA and CSX diamond.
Just curious.

My initial thought is that the physical architecture of the building is what distinguishes Linden, as it is an L shape. I think it originally had duplicate facilities within the building for each railroad, so it was basically two separate depots under one roof.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

rwadams

• President
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
I see, makes perfect since!!
The different lines in North Vernon had seperate depots.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
The old Steubenville depot was built as a junction depot and AFAIK it still exists...

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:28:37 AM »
Maybe what the article should have said was: "The Linden Depot is the only surviving (Monon) junction depot in Indiana". Would that be a correct statement?

rwadams

• President
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »

It does.

Rog ;)