Author Topic: New Honda Plant update!!!  (Read 55704 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
New Honda Plant update!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »

There are a few construction projects that I was wondering about (had not seen them in any of the plans).  Anybody know what they are building here:
1. The big excavation just south of I74 and west of Moscow Rd.

JR Jorgensen (Valley Asphalt) has been hauling fill material out of there for the 421 relocation.  There's been rumors of a Lowe's or Home Depot and a Kohl's building back in there, plus City of Greensburg is going to extend Freeland Rd (assuming they can figure out how to pay for it) from Bypass by WalMart straight west between Walgreen's and Chilli's, crossing Moscow, coming out on 421 about where the new "road" to the excavation site come out.  Maybe part of JRJ's payment for the fill there are hauling out is to put that piece of Freeland in and site prep work for the future retail development.   As info, the construction that just started across 421 from this site is for a Hampton Inn and a restaurant (supposedly Cracker Barrell)

2. Where 421 is being kinked to the west to accommodate the new interchange, it looked like they were putting in foundations for a building inside the kink, just northwest of the last building (when heading northwest) on the southwest side of 421.

My understanding is that is the new INDOT Garage.  The current INDOT Garage at I 74/ US 421 gets torn down for the new interchange.

3. Between 421 and I74, north of where they are building the new bridge across the interstate and just south of the water tower.  Almost looked like they were grading for building.

I have heard that this is a bank/credit union for Honda. 

Dan should be the Man in the Know - Dan, you here anything different on the above?
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 07:45:30 PM »
Based on the statement in the second paragaph of this article, sounds like what we see is what we get. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13394699/detail.html

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
While there may or may not be any direct Honda suppliers moving into area, Decatur County continues to rezone and develop in hopes of attracting more business.  The RailPark next to Honda (outlined on a map I posted several pages back) was rezoned yesterday, so that project continues forward.  There are reportedly two non automotive related companies looking to locate here - with zoning hurdled cleared maybe we'll see some progress. 

With Cincinnati and Indianapolis continuing to grow, and Honda locating between them, the I-74 corridor is poised for serious growth over the next decade or so.  Honda being rail dependant has helped secure the future of the rail line in this corridor - a rail line that has teetered on the brink of extinction since Penn Central days.

As info, here's report from WTRE on RailPark rezoning:

Steve Schoettmer, along with Greensburg/Decatur County Economic Development Corporation President, Don Schilling, appeared before the group seeking permission to rezone 160.7 acres to a classification that will allow manufacturing, processing, or assemblies of products and a rail park on Schoettmer’s property located south of the town of Adams on County Road 450 West in Clay Township. Conceptual drawings were presented and it was expressed that the requested use of the property fits into the county’s comprehensive plan. On the other hand, neighbors who attended had concerns about what a rail park would bring to the area, how residential buffers would be handled, how water drainage and runoff would impact their properties, and why more information on development in the area was only making its way to them in the form of rumors. After lengthy discussion, the commission did approve the rezoning request with a 6 to 2 vote.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 01:58:26 AM »
There are a few construction projects that I was wondering about (had not seen them in any of the plans).  Anybody know what they are building here:
1. The big excavation just south of I74 and west of Moscow Rd.
JR Jorgensen (Valley Asphalt) has been hauling fill material out of there for the 421 relocation.
WE HEAR THAT IS ALL THAT IS GOING ON, THEY ARE HAULING DIRT OUT
 There's been rumors of a Lowe's or Home Depot and a Kohl's building back in there,
LOWES DEAL PULLED CLEAR OUT AND NOTHING COMING YET THAT WE KNOW FOR SURE. LOT OF SPECULATION
plus City of Greensburg is going to extend Freeland Rd (assuming they can figure out how to pay for it) from Bypass by WalMart straight west between Walgreen's and Chilli's, crossing Moscow, coming out on 421 about where the new "road" to the excavation site come out.
THAT IS IN FACT THE PLAN FOR LONG RANGE BY THE CITY. NOT SURE WHEN THAT WILL OCCUR
   As info, the construction that just started across 421 from this site is for a Hampton Inn and a restaurant (supposedly Cracker Barrell)
THIS IS CORRECT. HAMPTON INN AND "THREE OUTLOTS" HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED BUT RUMORS ABOUND

2. Where 421 is being kinked to the west to accommodate the new interchange, it looked like they were putting in foundations for a building inside the kink, just northwest of the last building (when heading northwest) on the southwest side of 421.
NO IDEA YET FROM ANYONE I HAVE ASKED

My understanding is that is the new INDOT Garage.  The current INDOT Garage at I 74/ US 421 gets torn down for the new interchange.
I WAS TOLD THE NEW GARAGE IS GOING VERY CLOSE TO WHERE IT IS NOW BUT I DONT HAVE THAT INFO

3. Between 421 and I74, north of where they are building the new bridge across the interstate and just south of the water tower.  Almost looked like they were grading for building.

I have heard that this is a bank/credit union for Honda. 
YES  THIS IS ADDRESSED AS 2740 N MICHIGAN ON MY INFO FOR 911. OF COURSE THIS IS AFTER WE ANNEX IT IN AND IT GETS THE CITY ADDRESS. 240 NW WILL BECOME ALL VANDALIA RD IN THE CITY AND MICHIGAN AV WILL EXTEND OUT TO THE NEW 300N PROABABLY

Dan should be the Man in the Know - Dan, you here anything different on the above?
I DONT KNOW MUCH. LOTS OF RUMORS 
HONDA'S COMING!

IN OTHER RUMORSM, WE HEAQR HONDA BOUGHT OUT THE ENTIRE COUNTRY RIDGE APARTMENTS AND HANDED OUT EVICTION NOTICES - ON FREELAND ROAD

ALSO, THE LAND BEHIND WALMART, THAT WAS OWNED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI, GIVEN BY SOMEONE A LING TIME AGO AND WAS TO BE A MEDICAL CENTER, HAS NOW BEEN SOLD. NO IDEA WHO BOUGHT IT . RUMOR HOT AND HEAVY IS A NEW KROGER AND 2-3 RESTARAUNTS GOING IN THERE.

LONG JOHN SILVERS IS OPEN UP JUNE 19 IN THE KFC- REMODELING JOB.

CITY UTILITIES TOLD ME THIS WEEK TWO SUBDIVIONS ARE NOW STARTING, ON PARK RD AND THE EAST EXTENSION ON 46 FOR FAIRVIEW ADDITION. HUNDREDS OF MORE HOUSES THERE.

THE TRAIN CAME BACK THROUGH TO HONDA ON FRIDAY MY COMM OFFICERS REPORTED TO ME SO THE NEXT LOAD OF WELDED RAIL MAY BE THERE. HAVENT WENT TO LOOK

THATS THE REPORT FROM TRACKSIDE - DAN

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
THE TRAIN CAME BACK THROUGH TO HONDA ON FRIDAY MY COMM OFFICERS REPORTED TO ME SO THE NEXT LOAD OF WELDED RAIL MAY BE THERE. HAVENT WENT TO LOOK

THATS THE REPORT FROM TRACKSIDE - DAN

I went by the east end of the plant and the gantry crane and a car with a cab on it were sitting there, those were the only cars i saw. Its too bad that they had to build those mounds of earth!
                                             Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

Coach

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
It looked like more new railing was on the Honda site this morning.

Coach

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »
They built a new dirt ramp from the railroad to where they are laying the new water line.  The ramp is located at marker #64 adjacent to Vandalia Hills commercial lot & the old reservoir on the west side of Greensburg.   The ramp may just be to use heavy equipment to finish the job on the water line.  There are also a couple huge piles of gravel on each side of the ramp. 

From a distance, it looks like the new rail is still just sitting at the Honda site.  With no more aerial photos or access to old 421 until November it could get a little tricky on seeing the finishing touches.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »
Looks like there could be activity on CIND Valley to Greensburg this weekend.  As of 5PM Friday 6/15, looks like they've got 0 x 9 Sunman, 5 x 16 Greensburg (non Honda stuff), and possibly another couple loads of track material (there are extra gons in train that are not mine) built in the westward siding at Valley ready to head west.  Also present in Valley in track 1 is a good sized cut (looked like 20-25 cars) of loaded ballast cars that one would assume will be heading to Honda.  IORY 4082(?) SD-40 had ahold of a handfull of Anchor cars (Anchor is switched by the westbound) shoving toward the ballast cars.  They have a fair amount of work to do at Sunman (set 9 off, pickup 4, and reshuffle the track), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Valley B start west tonight and tie up st Sunman westbound. 

As of Wednesday night, rail train had not been unloaded.  Was setting about 3 cars west of Vandalia Road crossing.  Looks like the main is now in for another mile or so back as far as the access road on back side of plant (where the stand of trees and creek are in the gap in the Great Wall of Honda).  A spiker and a speedswing where setting on the "new" end of the main at that location.   About half the track ties have been used out of the pile at the trailer near Vandalia - quite a few switch ties and lots of bagged and boxed material setting around. 

As Coach noted, Old US 421 is now closed past the plant for reconstruction and will not reopen until November.  So the only views of the front side are now from I-74.  Posted detour for old US 421 uses Vandalia Road, so traffic has increase significantly behind the plant, making it a little more difficult to slow down and look.  Also, large (4x8 sheet of plywood sized) "ACTIVE CONSTRUCTION SITE - NO TRESSPASSING" signs have gone up about every 100 yards or so the length of Vandalia Road.  I think they got tired of folks hiking up onto the Great Wall of Honda to get a view (no, I wasn't one of them!)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »
Computer says my requested switch at Sunman was done Saturday, but when I came through Greensburg this evening on way home from Terre Haute, I saw no train, so they either only came to Sunman and went back to Valley, or  the ballast train is tied up out on main westbound somewhere between Sunman and Greensburg.

Anyway, around 6 this evening, railroad contractor had crews working at Honda.  Looked like they might be cutting a switch into the new main, a few car lengths east of where new track ended for a few weeks - might be switch into what is believed to be CIND's operation base.  Rail train is still loaded, but is now shoved all the way to the end of track by the back entrance off Vandalia/NW 240.  Also, new development in Adams on the west side of project.  Track circuts for crossing protection have been disconnected, utilities along track and crossings marked, and addition track removed.  Line now physically ends about 8-10 car lengths east of the eastern most Adam's crossing - rail is is still bolted in 4 or 5 stick lengths and is lying in gage of main line up to edge of crossing.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 02:13:22 PM »
Empty rail train went through Batesville last night around 9.  Had the 2 equipment cars with it this time, so maybe it's done (at least for a while).  As of 1PM today (Friday 6/22), it is setting on main just west of Valley Jct.  However, I do not believe any of the ballast went to Greensburg.  Which brings us to the real story.  MAINLINE TRACK WORK HAS BEGUN.

Beginning at around the IN/OH Stateline and heading west, new ballast has been dumped and ties marked.  This goes past Collier Ridge Road (about 3 miles WEST of Gilford) but has not made it to Weisburg yet.  Ballast seems to be dumped heavily in curves, completely covering the ties and 4-5" deep in some spots.  On tangent track, ballast is on both sides of each rail, just not completely covering ties like in some of the curves.  The "Hill" from Lawrenceburg Jct to Sunman has had tie programs a couple times over the past 4 or 5 years, the most recent two years ago, and is in fairly good shape with a 25 MPH speed limit.  Judging by the number of fresh orange dots, it appears that every tie that has not been replaced in the last two programs will be replaced this time.  Only equipment/material on hand so far (other than more loaded ballast cars at Valley) appears to be an Atlas hi-rail grapple truck and several thousand brand new ties at Valley Jct. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:46:24 PM by scraphauler »

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »
Took a short trip down towards Greensburg to see what changes there might have been since last time. I snapped a few pictures which are posted below for your viewing pleasure. Several are either East of Adams a crossing or two and several around Adams looking East and West. I tried to get one there on Vandalia Road looking West but that is getting to be a really difficult location for taking pictures. Looks like they have removed more track just East of Adams almost into town. You can see the section rails laying between the rails that are left in place. I also took one up near Shelbyville out on the Eastside of town near the new crossing. It's just all dressed up and no trains to dance with. What a shame. If any of you guys find out when the first CIND train will be returning to Shelbyville please post something. I really want to get down there at the crossing and get some pics and video.
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »
Just a couple more pics from today's outing.
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
From the Indianapolis Business Journal:

Improved railroad could carry more Indy traffic 
Mon. June 25 - 2007 

IBJ Staff   

Plans to improve Central Railroad of Indianapolis tracks between Shelbyville and Cincinnati could mean some shippers will have a better alternative to trucks.

Rail America Inc., headquartered in Boca Raton, Fla., is upgrading the track to prepare to carry 8,000 rail cars a year of finished autos from the Honda Motor Co. plant in Greensburg. Most of the Civic compacts will be taken to Cincinnati, where they will be put on CSX and Norfolk Southern lines to be shipped throughout the country, said Brad Ovitt, Rail America's Midwest regional vice president.

The Indiana railroad, often called CINDY, will be upgraded with $3.5 million in state and private funds to allow trains to travel 25 mph instead of the 10 mph posted in some stretches, Ovitt said.

Rail America plans to finish the upgrade before the plant opens in fall 2008.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »
Some quick bits on the CIND/Honda

- Heads up along line tonight - will be westbound running sometime overnight with 25 loads of stone for Honda and possible a few misc. Sunman/Greensburg cars.  Stone will dump at Honda tomorrow (Tuesday), going back to Valley when empty.  Not sure where stone is coming from - I would guess National at Lima.

- IBJ article posted below confirms my suspicion that INDOT money was involved - guess that explains why the project is starting at the state line.  Seems they've backed off on speed - originally they where saying 35 - IBJ article says 25.  Still a far cry from the current 10. 

- New welded rail has been drug up to Vandalia Road (as witnessed by Inprinters pic - you can see it just above his mirror), so it looks like the bolted rail laid on the new line was just temporary to get initial track material in.

- Speaking of rail, all the old rail from the mainline take out that was stacked behind the car wash on Hwy 46 was trucked out last week.  It went east - not sure who bought it (it wasn't us).  There are still a couple dozen bundles of relatively new ties recovered from mainline take out stacked there, plus a good sized pile of fit ties left over from last falls abbreviated track work.  Also, still a similar sized pile of fit ties at New Point, along with several kegs of new spikes, including some still palletized and shrinkwrapped.

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 09:35:19 PM »
Scraphauler - A couple posts back, were you saying that they marked ties for raplacement in the same locations as where they have already applied ballast?  That seems a bit odd ???

If all of the $3.5M were for ties, ballast and resurfacing, it would probably be enough to make every other tie "good", from Cincinnati (MP0) to Shelbyville (MP80).  I guess it depends on how much money gets diverted to other stuff.

Class 2 (25MPH) and class 3 (40MPH) track both require the same number of good ties, 8 per 39' of track (1 out of every 3).   The Newpoint - Greensburg job was 1 of 3 (1 of 2 in a few spots).  Class 3 requires one extra tie (10 instead of 9) on curves over 2 degrees, of which there are only about 2.5 miles.  This amounts to only 350 - 400 extra ties over the entire 80 miles, so it is not a factor.  There is also a slightly tighter restriction for class 3 ties near rail joints, but from what I have seen the line easily exceeds that criteria already.  So.... it would seem there might be some other factor in play here ???  Wonder if Don would have the answer.

The fact that they will upgrade all the way to Shelbyville is good news.  Wonder if this was a requirement of the state (to get the money :)

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »
That would be a really nice thing if they upgraded that track all the way to Shelbyville. I think the worst section is right in beautiful downtown S'Ville. It looks like the ties have really sunk into the ballast, the rails are somewhat "wavy" looking as well. I don't think you would want to do more than a few miles an hour through downtown. I've never driven a train but I don't think I would take it out of low gear going through Shelbyville. Unfortunately, that section belongs to CSX and not CIND, so probably fat chance that will ever get upgraded.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 10:53:41 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see CSX rebuild the line through Shelbyville. Why not offer Honda another routing for westcoast shipments other than Cincy? Combine them with Marysville traffic and I think Honda wouldn't be able to say no.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 09:52:17 AM »
There have been rumors flying around that CSX will upgrade the Shelbyville Secondary. I think the reason the CIND is getting the business is the fact that honda simply does not want to deal with all of the crap they would have to go through with CSX.
                         Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 12:41:12 PM »
Just saw 6 more loads of ballast sitting at the old Amtrak station on River Rd. Don't know if there going to Greensburg or CIND maintenance. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »
Ballast at CP Oklahoma is CIND M.O.W. most likely.  From what I've heard, next Honda ballast won't be until mid July. 

Bob - seems more and more these days that RR's (or contractors) dump ballast BEFORE putting in ties.  I think the main benefit is that surfacing gang can follow right behind tie gang - no need to schedule ballast train between the two gangs.  I just saw a CSXT line like this - they had both ties and ballast dumped with surface gang right on heals of tie gang.  Don't remember where it was though - been travelling so much lately it all runs together.

As for CSXT Shelbyville Secondary (or whatever they call it), something you need to keep in mind is that the interchange between CSXT and CIND is NOT Shelbyville - it's Beech Grove.  The ONLY reason the small amount interchange that occurs on CIND's west end (prior to embargo due to Honda) physically takes place at Shelbyville is strictly carrier convenience.  Since CSXT handles the small volume of business with the same local, whether it physically be at the Grove or in Shelbyville, why bother stopping the CSXT crew at Grove and let some wooden axle outfit (a certain Trainmaster's term of "endearment" for the CIND and other shortlines) out on the property where they would end up (sooner or later) dogging, breaking down, or some other way interfering with the CSXT local.   If CIND begins presenting anything more that the handful of cars they've been doing, it will certainly become no longer convenient for CSXT's local to handle them in Shelbyville and everything would revert back to original agreement.   

So, if Trainload quantities of Hondas go to Shelbyville, what would be CSXT's incentive to do any serious track work to their line?  Why would CSXT operate a new train with their crews and power to CIND at Shelbyville, when they would only be getting paid for Beech Grove?  renegotiate the interchange agreement and make it Shelbyville?  Why would CIND go along with that and short haul themselves?   So CIND would have to take to Beech Grove (And I think CIND WILL operate some traffic to Beech Grove).  But now the extra traffic on the line is for a tenant carrier - it has no direct benefit to the host carrier's line from Shelbyville to Beech Grove, so why would host carrier upgrade for tenant carrier traffic without make tenant pay for upgrade?.  Why would CIND want to pony up for a CSXT upgrade when they've got their own track to maintain? 

I'm not saying you won't see any Honda traffic go west.  Nor am I saying CSXT won't do any trackwork. I think CSXT will likely fix slow orders and other general routine stuff to keep track at presnet state.   And I think there will be some Honda traffic going west (just not likely train load quantities).  I would also assume the rerouted traffic that was moving CIND-ISRR will return.  And I KNOW my Sunman traffic will revert back to an Indianapolis gateway once line reopens.  I just can't see how CSXT could financially justify any sort of major upgrade for their line, especially since the CIND is only upgrading to what CSXT west of Shelbyville already is.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 04:52:57 PM by scraphauler »