Author Topic: Foley Jct?  (Read 1973 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Foley Jct?
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:01:52 PM »
The previous thread below got me thinking.  What was 'Foley Jct'?  Was it an interurban and PRR crossing?  I have an advanced copy of Wally Mattes Junctions of Indiana book and Foley Jct isn't listed.  Wally doesn't list interurban crossings though, unless they happed to cross at a 'big railroad' junction already.

Practice Safe CSX

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Foley Jct?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »
Fayne is an actual whistle stop, that is known.  It is on the PRR just west of where SR 3 currently crosses over top of the old line.
Foley Junction I believe was the old name of the North Cast or West Cast interlocking.
I think before the PRR automated this interlocking of the NKP and PRR, that it was a manual plant and called Foley Junction.  The interurban ran over top and had no known physical connection to the NKP or PRR at that location.

There was a siding on the PRR west of the actual interlocking, but I don't have a clue as to when it was removed from service. 

I think the PRR renamed the interlocking from Foley to North Cast when the automatic interlockings went into service.  I couldn't find any reference to a manned interlocking at North Cast, nor anything on Foley, and I am sure back then nothing was remoted, so that takes Cast or Broad interlocking out of controlling it.

My assumption would be, Foley is what we now call West Cast, which was renamed from North Cast....
So
Foley Junction=North Cast Automatic Interlocking=West Cast (named West Cast by N&W)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »
According the Mattes book:

Henry, New Castle -- Fayne (W Cast) -- Y1 -- IT-CTC -- PRR-PC NKP-LE

Which means - West Cast - Still Active as a Junction - Interlocking, automated with Traffic Control operation remote but not in the Dispatchers Office - PRR - Pittsburg, Cincinatti, Chicago and St. Louis Lines, NKP - Lake Erie and Western

It also shows that in 1950 it was remote as in 1970, but by 1990 it was controlled by a train dispatcher.  Mr. Mattes does have a photo of the tower on file...

Practice Safe CSX

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »
North Cast was one of the first automated interlockings that wasn't a diamond.  I never fully understood how the northbound trains controlled the switch however! 

Fayne is a small whistle stop located west of the junction.  It wasn't called West Cast until the NW came in control of it.  The PRR called it various names, final being North Cast when it was made the automatic interlocking.  This would have been when they removed the tower.  That junction has never been know as Fayne as far as I, or anyone in the historical end that I have talked to. 

Thus the issue of the siding, which was called Fayne.  The West switch would have been Fayne.

Gene

• Dispatcher
  • I'm an Interurban photo fan
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
 Matt, You've me confused again. I thought we had put the location of Fayne Junction to rest a few months back. I posted a photo from the UTC pamplet showing Fayne Junction at the Interurban overpass at the old State Hospital. The question( at least I thought) was where was Foley Jct. Which after much discussion it was concluded it was west of St Rd 3 about where the photo posted of the signal was put on this site this week. I even posted an Ariel photo from 1961 to assist in the search.  This location discussion has been going on here in New Castle for years about where is Fayne and/or Foley. Seems to me it's going to continue..... ???  Are we having fun yet?   Gene

Gene

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
 To help with this discussion, here is a 1936 Ariel photo of the area in question. What is #5?  Who's on first? What's on second......If you don't know what that means, well.......   Roger, when are you going to jump in here?
Gene  ;)

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
Gene, would you like me to further muck up the waters by showing a PRR Track chart for that section.?

Not Fayne, not Foley......Shows Cast Auto Interlocking.

Rob

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
Then right near the 104.8 signal in picture is indeed Foley!
I'm beggining to wonder if there was a little confusion throughout history about what location was what even back when all lines were in use!
Rob

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
Well don't get to happy about that because a CR chart shows Foley farther to the right on the chart. 
But at that point what is now West Cast would have already been named so, so........ 

The siding could have had 2 switch names, one being Fayne, the east being Foley. 
We know this however, that Fayne is a small whistle stop town, and Foley isn't.. 
I would like to know of a Foley in New Castle itself or possibly Anderson.  As I know Muncie doesn't have any old locations like that to take a junction name for.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
I was interested to see how Foley Jct, or whatever it i and i saw that on google earth there is a Foley listed on the map north of New Castle.
                                  Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 09:40:25 PM »
There is a small addition right where Fayne is.  Perhaps Gene can shed more light on it.

I know there are a grouping of homes and a couple of businesses on SR3 right at the overpass area, and north too.  I'm wondering if that was Foley....then again, it could just be a railroad name like we said.

Gene

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 12:52:44 AM »
See what I mean, this location has been talked about for years and it still is a bit cloudy.  By the way, what is #5 in the photo? (1) is the Interurban, (2) is a RR, (3) is a RR, (4) is old state Rd #3, And #5 is.............. Gene

Red P

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »
See what I mean, this location has been talked about for years and it still is a bit cloudy.  By the way, what is #5 in the photo? (1) is the Interurban, (2) is a RR, (3) is a RR, (4) is old state Rd #3, And #5 is.............. Gene

Looks like #5 is a wye for turning power. We have a few of those on the NS

Warren_Thompson

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
photobug:

From what aerial map was the photo above taken? Is the full map available for downloading?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »
Murky waters I know. 
Assuming we go by the arial, could that in fact be Foley Junction at the Wye?  Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Gene

• Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
How much of an Ariel area would you like. The maps I have are 12 inches square. I normally scan then in halves or 3rds to get the detail. The 1936 maps are not as good as the 1961 maps. The map with the wye is a 1936 map.  Gene