Author Topic: CSX satellite dish installs on the CE&D Sub  (Read 1814 times)

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
CSX satellite dish installs on the CE&D Sub
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Well, the dreaded satellites are making there way onto the CE&D sub. They use satellite with cell back up.  The ones I have seen so far have been at Spring Hill(Terre Haute), Breed(Shelburn) & Ft. Knox(Vincennes).  CSX is working on installing many more this year and once completed will spell the end for ATCS.  :'(

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: CSX satellite dish installs on the CE&D Sub
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:11 PM »
Well, the dreaded satellites are making there way onto the CE&D sub. They use satellite with cell back up.  The ones I have seen so far have been at Spring Hill(Terre Haute), Breed(Shelburn) & Ft. Knox(Vincennes).  CSX is working on installing many more this year and once completed will spell the end for ATCS.  :'(

Sure that isn't for DirecTV For the maintainers who are waiting on track and time?

Practice Safe CSX

hallbf

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
They use satellite with cell back up.

It's actually the other way around. And that satellite dish at Springhill isn't for CSX.

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
Sure that isn't for DirecTV For the maintainers who are waiting on track and time?

Practice Safe CSX
No, thats what they do with their laptops in the truck.  ;D

hallbf

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
I stand corrected on this.  CSX is using cellular backup and either a leased data circuit or a satellite circuit for the primary communication. 

CSX2605

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
I wonder what kind of progress CSX is making towards the PTC goal?

hallbf, I think the guys in the field are learning on the fly also!  ;D

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
I stand corrected on this.  CSX is using cellular backup and either a leased data circuit or a satellite circuit for the primary communication.
I thought that using the satellite as a backup sounded a little strange.  I bet they pay big bucks for the satellite uplink and then to use it as a backup didn't make sense.  I do industrial telemetry and would never recommend a cell type data link as the primary where the communication is critical.  I have over 25 years of experience dealing with leased phone lines where the phone company is less then responsive to problems with their lines.  I suspect they would treat cell type datalink problems very similarly.  Considering that the ATCS is un-encrypted, I am not surprised that the change is occurring.
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »
There are three more of these dishes in wood shipping frames around the Hamilton OH Depot.....
If in doubt, Notch it out!