Author Topic: CSX Indiana Subdivision Sightings  (Read 131782 times)

trainmaster53

• Jay Gould
Re: CSX Indiana Subdivision Sightings
« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »
What is going on with the Westend from Vincennes West through Illinois. Have heard that there has been work on that end.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
What is going on with the Westend from Vincennes West through Illinois. Have heard that there has been work on that end.
Nothing at all.  You may be thinking of some sort of work over towards St Louis? With the diamonds gone at Shattuc & elsewhere it is now basically two separate RR's.  Flora is as far west as J700 goes. They serve a plastics plant there.

trainmaster53

• Jay Gould
« Reply #802 on: October 28, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »
Was told that last night a V919 Turned East at Seymour. He had Tank Cars on the Lead and Covered Hoppers behind the Tanks. The Symbol says it was a Valdosta Ga. to Grand Ledge MI. It had 4 Locomotives on the Point and was Close to a 200 Car Train. Where were the Tank Cars heading to Lafayette Indiana?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #803 on: October 28, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »
That was this morning , turned corner at Seymour this AM around 930-10.   V919-24 empty grain train for Grand Ledge MI and K407-24 empty ethanol train for Linden IN combined into one monster train running with symbol of V919-26 as far as Cincinnati.  Appears train will split into two trains at Cincinnati  - not sure what symbols they'll carry out of Cincinnati, or if the ethanol empties will run via the Indianapolis Sub or go to to Sydney and across.   As info CSXT 5461, the Seaboard System sticker unit, was one of the 4 units in the train
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:44:37 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #804 on: December 15, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »
This was J780 today (CSX 6511 and 6558) working around the Mitchell depot and diamond (old Monon). Got to "bull session" with the engineer for awhile. He is coming over from North Vernon once or twice a week, normally on Tue mornings and back to NV on Wed afternoons. I am going to try and catch him through Big Tunnel in Tunnelton EB tomorrow afternoon 2 - 2:30 PM. The track is now up to 25 MPH, and he HOPES that his company is going to wire back up some of the vintage B&O CPL signals. I did see new overhead lines and insulators on some new poles outside of Medora, but still old stuff westward. Apparently the track upgrade was paid for my Lehigh Concrete, who has facilities at both Mitchell and Sellersburg (Speed) on the LIRC. Driver said that apparently there ARE customers in Shoals and Loogootee wanting service too, but doesn't know if that will happen or not. He said they'd have to do a LOT of track upgrade to reach them from Mitchell.

Also, there were CSX engineering-types there doing upgrades inside the depot building. So apparently they're pretty serious about North Vernon to Mitchell.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:40:05 PM by mflaugher »

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #805 on: December 15, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
Oops. I started this post saying J380. Actually J780. I was writing on a paper bag at the time.  ;D

PS, here's a pic I took today of the Mitchell Diamond. Ahead is toward Seymour and North Vernon. Left to right is the old Monon.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:53:43 PM by mflaugher »

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #806 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:43 PM »
I'm surprised the diamond is still there
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #807 on: December 16, 2020, 02:52:51 PM »
I guess they're using it as a turn-around? Something? The signals on the Monon itself, aimed north and south from the diamond, look new and are working. Can't quite figure it because there's only one turnout curve. Could they be using, or plan to use, the Monon tracks for storage? It COULD be that CSX intends to use it as access when they finally do start pulling up the line through Salem, where I guess a bridge was compromised. Go south from Mitchell and come north from New Albany? I know they cleared off most if not all of their storage cars years ago. We had some old autoracks in Pekin for years! I'll try to ask the engineer I met, if I see him again. He's been working for the railroad 27 years so may be close to retirement himself soon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:13:00 PM by mflaugher »

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #808 on: December 16, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
Just ran through the state recipient's list for crossing funds in FY2021. Seymour and Medora are on the list for money but nothing west like Shoals, Loogootee, or Washington. I bet the ties at the Mitchel depot are for the Monon north and maybe south of town. I bet those are going to be storage. At least in Google earth, the tracks look good north as far as the White River bridge, and south toward Orleans for a little ways. I'll try to take a better look myself next time I'm in that areas. Sidings have been removed south of Mitchell, as has the siding in my town, Pekin. Wonder if they're just using that as repair rail? CSX sure doesn't like spending money, do they.  ;D

VGR

• Dispatcher
« Reply #809 on: December 16, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
Back in August I was passing through North Vernon late and happened to catch this around midnite.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #810 on: December 16, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »
I guess they're using it as a turn-around? Something? The signals on the Monon itself, aimed north and south from the diamond, look new and are working. Can't quite figure it because there's only one turnout curve. Could they be using, or plan to use, the Monon tracks for storage?
I don't believe the old Monon is being, or will be, used for much of anything any more, at least without some  serious de-forestation being needed at various points.  It also can't be used to turn anything.  If I am not mistaken, the signals around the diamond in Mitchell date back to early 1996, when they replaced older B&O and L&N era signals at the interlocking, following a wreck there in August 1995.

I bet the ties at the Mitchel depot are for the Monon north and maybe south of town. I bet those are going to be storage. At least in Google earth, the tracks look good north as far as the White River bridge, and south toward Orleans for a little ways.
I am pretty sure new ties would be for the old B&O, and possibly the sidings at the cement plant.  While I would like to see a new lease of life for the old Monon, I would be blown away if those ties are destined for use there.
Cheers, Al

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #811 on: December 19, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
Well, I don't see anything to indicate a Monon Resurrection. All I was thinking is that they may want to use some for storage. The lights at the diamond ARE working NS and SB, and the MOW vehicles were all parked on the turnout when I saw 'em. I'll do some more investigating when I return. Definitely need some work at the cement plant. I ran through North Vernon yesterday and saw about 30 covered hoppers in the yard there.

Without the B&O, Shoals, Loogootee, and Washington are cut off from rail, aren't they?

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #812 on: December 19, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »

Without the B&O, Shoals, Loogootee, and Washington are cut off from rail, aren't they?
J700 out of Vincennes serves Washington. Shoals & Loogootee are not "cut off" as far as I know. Rail is still connected but might not be in the best condition.

chriis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #813 on: December 19, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
It's been a little while since I've been down there but USG in Shoals was shipping a few cars every month. I believe they are served from the Mitchell side. There were also coal sets in storage, around Huron.

The rails were very rusty west of Willow Valley. Are there any customers in Loogootee?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #814 on: December 19, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
Mitchel to Washington still intact and in service and would be part of J780's territory.  Just very little demand for service, so J780 very rarely ventures out that way.

Monon is ABANDONED.  It can not be used for storage.  Abandonment has NOT been consumated yet because the City of New Albany is acting at the interim trail authority and has a notice of Interim Trail Use pending in front of the STB.  A lot of the Monon right of way is an easement - when line ceases to be used as a transportation corridor, ground would revert to the adjoining land owners.  The National Trails Act allows for a rail corridor to be conveyed to an authorized trail authority at which time the right of way becomes a trail, which by law, is still an approved transportation corridor.  Removal of the track BEFORE the Interim Trail Use proceedings and tile transfer are complete could at worst case result in right of way reverting to adjoining property owners, and at the very least, bolster any legal actions brought against the right of way by NARPO (National Associated of Revisionary Property Owners).

As for the diamond, since it still physically exists, by law, whatever signaling equipment it is equipped with must be maintained and in service.  Even though the Monon will ultimately be removed, retirement of the interlockings signals prior to removal would require a separate filing and hearing - not worth the effort - easier to simply maintain until it can be removed.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #815 on: January 11, 2021, 06:27:56 PM »
Rare westbound move today. X203-11 Cincinnati TOFC to Louisville.  Out at 0745, Seymour at 1245, Louisville at 1530.

VGR

• Dispatcher
« Reply #816 on: January 12, 2021, 07:31:31 AM »
Going against "flow", I wonder, depending on the length, if there were any meets. Highly doubtful. It would involve alot of backing into sidings. No passing sidings except Butlerville and that normally has some cars sitting in it.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #817 on: January 15, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »
I was given word that J780 was pulling cars out of storage in Logootee around 08:40. Heard it as a rumor last night but wasn’t sure how credible the information was until it was confirmed.

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #818 on: January 15, 2021, 09:02:52 PM »
I was given word that J780 was pulling cars out of storage in Logootee around 08:40. Heard it as a rumor last night but wasn’t sure how credible the information was until it was confirmed.

I mean in all honesty how much is CSX really making off the scrap?  Seems like pennies to me or are they pulling it to place elsewhere?  How much demand is there for stick rail in their system?  Just seems odd to me even though scrap prices are up because China is buying

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #819 on: January 15, 2021, 09:07:59 PM »
I mean in all honesty how much is CSX really making off the scrap?  Seems like pennies to me or are they pulling it to place elsewhere?  How much demand is there for stick rail in their system?  Just seems odd to me even though scrap prices are up because China is buying

Probably to drop tax liabilities as much as anything?