Author Topic: Greene County  (Read 2177 times)

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
Greene County
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
I got some pics this morning on my new camera phone.
Picture 1- The new engine house at Latta/Hiawatha under construction
Picture 2- The diamond at Linton, looking North on what was once the Milwaukee Road
Picture 3- Looking South at the small yard from the same location.
Picture 4- As long as I have lived in Linton, I never realized this building was owned by INRD until today when I happened to look up while turning my car around.
Picture 5- I had given up on getting a picture of a train crossing the diamond today, then I got very lucky.
Picture 6- A treat for Monon fans. this is an old crossing signal on the small remaining piece of the Cataract branch that is now used as part of the Dugger branch. Yes, it still works, but the lens color was changed to red.

IndyKing

• Mogul
Re: Greene County
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »
IPicture 6- A treat for Monon fans. this is an old crossing signal on the small remaining piece of the Cataract branch that is now used as part of the Dugger branch. Yes, it still works, but the lens color was changed to red.

Very nice.  Where is the specific location of that former Monon crossing signal as I would love to get some detailed shots of it?
Cheers, Al

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
Nice. Thanks for starting the album of counties!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
That crossing is on county road 500N. If you are on Indiana 59 between Midland and Linton, you turn west at the top of the hill with the water tower, and remember that you cross the former Milwaukee line before reaching this crossing.  When the Cataract branch was pulled up in the 80's, the rails were left in place from Midland Junction to Vicksburg. When INRD purchased the old Milwaukee from CP, they also purchased this line, which I believe was still owned by CSX, but was completely overgrown.  It was restored due to a much better switching arrangement at Dugger with the Indianapolis line. Originally, these signals were standard on this line, but only the ones at this crossing were still functional after so many years of vandalism and neglect.  The original crossing signs were removed and replaced with modern crossbucks, while the lenses on the lights were changed to red and set to continuously flash at all times.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »
Thanks, IN1312.  I'll have to check that one out.
Cheers, Al

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:12 AM »
That signal is a modified Peabody, with a crossbuck instead of a yellow sign and the lens color changed to red. The main remarkable thing about those two signals is that they do still work after rusting for years. Meanwhile, I snapped some shots in Linton not too long ago. The first three are all of the same train moving south towards Crane crossing the diamond in Linton.  How many of these black colored engines does INRD have? It reminds me of NYC/PC, but with INRD lettering.

The last image is looking northeast on the former Monon Cataract branch right of way south of Victoria and White Rose towards the ghost junction with the former PRR Dugger coal branch, whose right of way was just inside the tree line in the distance.

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
My contribution..Duke Edwardsport train heading north towards Beehunter for interchange.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
My contribution..Duke Edwardsport train heading north towards Beehunter for interchange.
Oh, I like the twilight shots.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »
Agreed. Those were some nice shots.

Dustin

• Global Moderator