Author Topic: Terre Haute to Vincennes Railraod  (Read 2219 times)

inquiringmind

Terre Haute to Vincennes Railraod
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
According to a family obituary, my great grandfather worked for the Terre Haute to Vincennes Railraod.  I am unable to find this as I read railroad history.  I know he lived in Vincennes in 1870.
 Is it possible that this name was just a local reference and has another true name?

Inquiring Mind

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Terre Haute to Vincennes Railraod
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
You will need to inquire about this info via the RRB (Railroad Retirement Board).  Do a google search.  We don't have access to those records, but you should be able to find any member that maintained railroad employment.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »
www.rrb.gov should provide you with links to the information you require.  As long as your relative paid into Railroad retirement, they should have a record for them.

Good Luck!

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »
There were a couple of Vincennes-Terre Haute railroads.

About what time frame are you talking about, and we can figure out the likely name at that time.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

inquiringmind

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
The tme frame for the Terre Haute to Vincennes Railroad I am seraching for would be 1870-1880.  It may have continued after that.  Great grandfather's wife was killed in a RR accident and any record of him disappears. 
I am following up with the suggested web sites.  Thanks. 

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Terre Haute to Vincennes Railroad
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »
The tme frame for the Terre Haute to Vincennes Railroad I am seraching for would be 1870-1880.  It may have continued after that.  Great grandfather's wife was killed in a RR accident and any record of him disappears. 
I am following up with the suggested web sites.  Thanks. 
There has only been one direct route from Vincennes to Terre Haute.  It was built by 1854, and in the time frame you're looking at, it could be known as either the Evansville and Crawfordsville RR (till 1877) or the Evansville and Terre Haute RR (till 1911).

1911 to 1976, it was owned by Chicago and Eastern Illinois; it was sold in 1976 to the Louisville & Nashville; and since roughly 1986, it has been CSX.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.