Author Topic: Traincrew accident  (Read 2458 times)

mlb

• Fireman
Traincrew accident
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
Local news reporting NS conducter fell from train and had severe injuries. I think it was somewhere around Mike in Fort Wayne.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Traincrew accident
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:29:58 PM »
Details still sketchy when I heard about it around 5pm

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
I've heard it was both legs and a hand lost.

Some merry freaking Christmas  :(
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

rwadams

• President
  • CSX Indiana Subdivision
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
http://www.fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121224/NEWS/320096398/-1/TOPNEWS

A Norfolk Southern Railroad employee in Fort Wayne was injured in an accident Monday morning.

At about 7 a.m., Fort Wayne Fire Department crews were called to the railroad tracks near Hanna and Hayden streets after a man fell onto the tracks and had a hand and foot amputated, according to emergency radio traffic.

Emergency workers searched for about 15 minutes before finding the man.

Norfolk Southern spokesman Dave Pidgeon confirmed a male employee was hurt in a work-related accident but would not discuss the person's condition or the nature of his injuries.

I do know we had a member of a train crew injured at about 7 o'clock in the Fort Wayne area, Pidgeon said.

The accident occurred as a general merchandise train was moving onto a storage track, Pidgeon said. The employee was taken to a local hospital by ambulance, he said.

About 1 p.m. Monday, Pidgeon said the person who had been hurt was still hospitalized.

A fire department spokeswoman was not available for comment Monday morning. A 911 dispatcher referred all questions to Norfolk Southern and the Three Rivers Ambulance Authority.

TRAA officials also could not immediately be reached for comment.

Rog :D
Just never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:43 AM »
[sarcasm] Merry Christmas, indeed. /[sarcasm] >:(
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
Hell of a way to spend the holidays....... :-\ :(

Red P

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Its uglier than you realize

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
I know that the crews have to ride on the side of the equipment, but I wish there was a way for them to stay on the ground during a switching move.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
Oat lets just say some on here understand this way more than you realize!

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
It's weird to me that they yell at people for hanging on moving rail cars, yet they want their employees to do the same unsafe act. They did at least get rid of the riding on top of the cars to set the brakes off the hump yards back in the day.

rwadams

• President
  • CSX Indiana Subdivision
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Did anyone ever hear how bad he was hurt??

Just never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
Did anyone ever hear how bad he was hurt??

Yes he was hurt badly and for respect of family Im not saying how bad. It's a sad situation all the way around.

• Mogul
  • Posts represent the views of no corporations
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
It's weird to me that they yell at people for hanging on moving rail cars, yet they want their employees to do the same unsafe act. They did at least get rid of the riding on top of the cars to set the brakes off the hump yards back in the day.
That's because we're trained to do it.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Yes he was hurt badly and for respect of family Im not saying how bad. It's a sad situation all the way around.
What the local news reported was that injuries included severed limb(s), and if I remember right, a head injury. Certainly a long road to recovery.

Just think, this makes news now...100 years ago, an injury like this would've been fairly common.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
Sad news indeed.  A good friend of mine lost his dad who was a conductor for Conrail in an accident back in the late 90's in Indy.  It was not an open casket as you could imagine. 

There was another accident up here in Elkhart a few years back where a conductor lost his footing and fell under a runaway car and his body actually stopped the car.  From what I can remember, it cut him up into his pelvis and lower abdominal region.  My wife, who is a nurse, heard him give an inspirational speech a year later.  From the pictures he showed during this presentation, she said it was a true miracle that he survived.  She has a very strong stomach and has seen some of the worse case scenarios but this was at the top of her list for bad. 

I hope he recovers well.