Author Topic: **Blizzard Warning for Central and Southern Indiana**  (Read 6533 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: **Blizzard Warning for Central and Southern Indiana**
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Big trains in cold and snow suck. The reality of being able to use air and having it work is onethingthat cold weather makes tough. When you set for hours pumping air on a cut you realize quickly there is a reason why they have restrictions on train length for a reason.

Another problem with trains that have 'long' runs is that Q647 could have started in Birmingham, Nashville, or Waycross (I really have no clue where Q647 originates) where it was in the 40's or 50's, and a monster train doesn't have any problem pumping the air.  Further north you go, the colder it gets, and the more problems you have.  I've seen this with Q008 that leaves Roselake at 5000 to 6000' and Avon has 3500' of vans to add to it.  Problem is compounded when the air on the inbound portion isn't that great to begin with.

One of my best runs ever between Avon and Crestline was on a monster Q364 shortly after new years in 2008 or 2009.  16,000 tons and probably 9,000 to 10,000 ft long.  Nothing else out there, but they knew if they stopped us, we would have problems.  Best run I'd ever had.  Train ran like a dream, plenty of power, good dynamics, and only used the air coming down Bellefountaine to keep it at the speed limit.

Practice Safe CSX

torgy1962

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Meanwhile back east, the Water Level Route was the site of scheduling mayhem last night, as weather related signal failures plagued CSX between Rochester and Buffalo. The evening Empire Service trains went from a few minutes late, to 3 or 4 hours tardy, in an instant.

SX1979

• Conductor
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »
I was a senior in high school during the winter of 77'- 78'. It was below zero with no sunshine so long that when the sun finally came out and th temp got up to about 10 degrees, we were out in sweatshirts because it almost felt like a spring day. Didn't hae a 4x4 back then either................50's and air shocks didn't go thru the snow real well.:)

csxdispatcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
Another problem with trains that have 'long' runs is that Q647 could have started in Birmingham, Nashville, or Waycross (I really have no clue where Q647 originates) where it was in the 40's or 50's, and a monster train doesn't have any problem pumping the air.  Further north you go, the colder it gets, and the more problems you have.  I've seen this with Q008 that leaves Roselake at 5000 to 6000' and Avon has 3500' of vans to add to it.  Problem is compounded when the air on the inbound portion isn't that great to begin with.

Practice Safe CSX

Q647 starts at the BRC, and they are well aware of CSX winter length restrictions, which do not kick in until 25 degrees.  We have had very few, if any days of 25 degrees or below in Chicago as of yet. 

csxdispatcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
Did Nashville have a meltdown early this morning? Heard a train say they sat at Carlisle for a few hours because the system shutdown in Nashville.

It was a scheduled shutdown of the CADS system.  It was only down one hour.

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
I was a senior in high school during the winter of 77'- 78'. It was below zero with no sunshine so long that when the sun finally came out and th temp got up to about 10 degrees, we were out in sweatshirts because it almost felt like a spring day. Didn't hae a 4x4 back then either................50's and air shocks didn't go thru the snow real well.:)

I believe that new records for number of days where the high was below freezing were set in both the 76-77 and the 77-78 winters. Much more snow in 77-78 though. Parked my car in a lot the night it hit and the next day the wind had packed the engine compartment full of snow. Started it up and as soon as it got warm the ignition shorted out!
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

torgy1962

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
the wind had packed the engine compartment full of snow. Started it up and as soon as it got warm the ignition shorted out!

This was quite common during Buffalo's famous blizzard.