Author Topic: Unlisted remnants  (Read 51191 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Unlisted remnants
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »
Larry's list is down, so I don't know whether this is listed there or not.
IPS-Bridge abutment in Henryville right next to highway 31 between college street and hazel avenue
The new URL for the list is: http://www.indianarailroads.org/interurbans/remnants/larryslist/

And no, that one is not listed. Thanks!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
In regards to this area from the list.

Arch Bridge, W of Huntington, Huntington Co. - over Silver Creek about 3.0 mi. W of IN-37

Concrete Culvert, N of Andrews, Huntington Co. - E side of IN-105, N of Wabash River

There is an arch bridge between US 24 and the Wabash river about a mile East of 105 at Andrews. It still exists. I went by there Tuesday Oct 21st. Someone has removed the sides of the bridge and exposed about 2/3's of the white brick that makes the arch. They removed the rock/dirt from the top of the arch.  I apologize for not stopping to take a photo. I was on my way to Ft. Wayne from Lafayette to deal with a life or death matter. 

Somebody should get a shot at it before it is gone. I will try but don't know when I will get a chance.

mp 126

• Dispatcher
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Bridge on the St Joseph Valley Railroad. eastern Steuben County Indiana,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalrail/11981103153/in/set-72157638591526164

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »
MP126:

The StJV east of Bristol was steam, not electric.  If gas or gas-electric cars are included in the definition of interurban, then it was interurban, but so was much of the Vandalia and other steam lines in Indiana.

Craig Berndt

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 12:58:56 AM »
I am certainly not an expert on Interurban Railroads,  but I've started a website that will list the Interurbans in Indiana, the history of the lines, historical pictures, and locations of the remnants I can find on Google's satellite view.  The list, maps, and history part of the project are "done",  but I'm just starting on the historical photos links.  This is going to take awhile - LOL.  I'm 67, so I hope I live long enough to finish the project ???   The historic document is huge so it may take up to five seconds before the link jumps to the correct header :) 

Feel free to share, download, or steal anything from the site EXCEPT FOR THE PHOTOS.  Most of the photos are copyrighted, but available to view from their site links  I'm all about sharing what little information I can provide.  I stole Nathan's kml files to create the maps, so please let me know of any errors and I'll try to fix them.  I'll also be happy to add any historical photo links you may have.

Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/historicalindianainterurbans/

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
I am certainly not an expert on Interurban Railroads,  but I've started a website that will list the Interurbans in Indiana, the history of the lines, historical pictures, and locations of the remnants I can find on Google's satellite view.  The list, maps, and history part of the project are "done",  but I'm just starting on the historical photos links.  This is going to take awhile - LOL.  I'm 67, so I hope I live long enough to finish the project ???   The historic document is huge so it may take up to five seconds before the link jumps to the correct header :) 

Feel free to share, download, or steal anything from the site EXCEPT FOR THE PHOTOS.  Most of the photos are copyrighted, but available to view from their site links  I'm all about sharing what little information I can provide.  I stole Nathan's kml files to create the maps, so please let me know of any errors and I'll try to fix them.  I'll also be happy to add any historical photo links you may have.

Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/historicalindianainterurbans/

The I&SE depot in Morristown is still standing, albeit converted into a residence.

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »
I'm making a little progress on my interuban site => https://sites.google.com/site/historicalindianainterurbans/. I think I have the list of interurbans, map links, historical links, and historical pictures links working.  Now for the fun part - the remnants locations :)     The historical pictures links have several photos to view and they are supposed to be somewhat organized by interurban line.  Please be patient when clicking on the picture links - Google Docs may take up to 10 seconds to move to the correct header.  I set the site up to make things easy on me when someone requests pictures to add.  By the way, please include a picture attachment or link when asking me to add pictures.  Also, I will not add pictures of personal residences.     

hibbard

• Dispatcher
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
I have a correction to the map of the Winona in Akron.  From the north, the Winona was on the west side of SR19, when entering Akron the line ran in Mishawaka St. (SR19) to Central St. where it ran in the street until it crossed Pine St. and turned south to start up an incline to cross the Erie RR.

Picture #1 shows the bank building (left) and church steeple (right) at the intersection of SR19 (Mishawaka St) and SR 14 (Rochester St).

#2 is looking north on Mishawaka St., notice the steeple.  Line is still under construction, notice the steam loco in the background.

#3 shows a northbound interurban car crossing Rochester St (SR14), the new bank building is behind the car.

#4 this is a house at the intersection of West and Central Streets. It appears in picture 5 also. Take note of the roof line and the window placement and the basement window

#5 Notice the house behind the construction engine. Same roof line and window pattern as in picture 4, of course the windows have been upgraded with new one sometime in the last 100 years.

#6 It's hard to see, but this is where the grade to Erie overpass starts on the east side of Pine St.  The tracks ran in about the area of the two buildings. I couldn't into Pike Lumber's plant, but Google till shows the north bridge abutment in place.

I took the color pictures in April 2019 and the old time pictures are from the Akron Public Library. The library has a lot of old pictures on their facebook page and the staff was very helpful.

Hibbard

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
Thanks for the info and thanks for the photos!  I've updated my map and Winona photo links.

Micah

• Fireman
  • Hoosier
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
Not sure how current you want to keep the status of "existing" items on the list, but the Daleville UTC station/shops/ticket office was torn down late this winter.  Mr Hensley had a nice summary and pictures of it (pre-destruction) here: http://madisonrails.railfan.net/daleville.html
"The past is never dead.  It's not even past."  - Faulkner