Author Topic: LIRC north end sightings  (Read 434017 times)

NSFan14

Re: LIRC north end sightings
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
Found out CJ dog logged in Scottsburg this morning so CA had to go relieve them and finish the CJ run...Plus go to Avon. Last wednesday I didnt even make it out of Avon and I dog logged.

holster10

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
Double loco power(too far away for #'s but only LIRC units today) and less than 10 cars spotted along side  Lilly headquarters northbound at 11:45am.   Wow, second time in less than a week I've seen 10 or fewer cars.  That's not good.....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:18:25 PM by holster10 »

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
The southbound CA is passing MP3 at 3:36pm, 2 LIRC locos and 27 or 28 cars, mixed.

NSFan14

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »
Had LIRC 2376 & 2378. 10 cars to Avon, 28 cars out.

NSFan14

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
The way things are going, we might take 2 cars up to Avon with us Saturday...

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
LIRC at Avon waiting to get on their train at 1345.  Looked like a pretty decent sized train already classified last night.  Probably 40 cars or so. 

Practice Safe CSX

mikado

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: LIRC north end sightings. New weekend trains out of Columbus
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
Effective today C-A wili add a saturday turn to Avon. Also, C-J will be making a Sunday Jeffersonville turn Departing Columbus at 9 AM!
Get the cameras ready.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
Wonder why the new LIRC management decided to run add on trip each to Indy and Jeffersonville? More time sensative traffic? More traffic in general? Anyone have an idea for the change?

NSFan14

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »
LIRC at Avon waiting to get on their train at 1345.  Looked like a pretty decent sized train already classified last night.  Probably 40 cars or so. 

Practice Safe CSX
Still had a decent day ;)

holster10

• Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Effective today C-A wili add a saturday turn to Avon. Also, C-J will be making a Sunday Jeffersonville turn Departing Columbus at 9 AM!
Get the cameras ready.

Not sure what is going on because I certainly have not seen a noticeable bump in traffic.  If anything, the trains that I have seen have been smaller of late. 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
Just a GUESS on my part, but it could be related to Interchange Rule 15 (as indicated by CSX_CO) several posts back.  If an interchange is "open" (meaning either railroad can deliver/pull at anytime), the offering railroad can put cars on Rule 15 if there is no room on receiving lines interchange track.  Or, if carriers have an interchange agreement (something like interchange will be made on specified track/area between 0800-1500, Monday thru Saturday) and receiving carrier does not show up, cars can be put on Rule 15.   From other posts, it is my understanding that CSXT and LIRC has a 6 day a week interchange agreement.

Rule 15 has a number of implications.  To over simplify, it basically allows the delivering carrier to transfer all liabilities and responsibilities to the receiving carrier, even though the receiving carrier does not physically have the cars.  Immediate real cost to the receiving carrier is the car hire on the cars plus any storage charges the delivering carrier imposes.  But more importantly, it's the POTENTIAL costs to the receiving carrier.  Since the car is considered in possesion of the receiving carrier, anything that happens to a car that is carrier responsibility becomes receiving roads responsibility.  For example, CSXT Rule 15's a car to LIRC at Avon.  After it has been Rule 15'ed, someone breaks into the car and steals/destroys cargo.  Loss claim gets filed against LIRC, not CSXT.  Now imagine if that is a hazardous commodity and is spilled/leaks.   

It is a calculated risk to allow yourself to be Rule 15'ed on a regular basis.  You as receiving carrier are gambling that the risk of something happening is low enough and that you will save more money by not running, that you decide to not run.  So back to my GUESS:  Either something has happened that cost LIRC money and they have decided it's no longer worth risking, or new management is simply more risk conscious and feels it's in their best interest to operate to their interchange agreements and avoid Rule 15 situations.

NSFan14

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
LIRC had a group of new management come in 4-6months ago, I believe they are just testing the waters.

Also, yesterdays run on the CA we had 46cars up to Avon and 57cars out of Avon. Biggest train we've ran up there in a few weeks!

xgap

• President
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:20 AM »
Scrap, Thanks for that rule 15 info. I don't think the L&I ever beat the CR car loads numbers for this line although it was padded with some grain out of Beach Grove and off the Bee Line. Unless they can land some big on line shipper like Honda, they're stuck. Maybe those CSX run thrus save the day. Any idea what they pay?

BourdonBoy

• President
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:08 AM »
Southbound CSX local with GP40-2 #6067 and 2 cars (lumber cars hauling tarped non-lumber loads) by MP3 @ 8:45a. They're delivering into the Indpls Industrial Center, building #1 (southwest of Shelby & Troy). Interesting!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:13:01 AM by BourdonBoy »

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
IORY at one time had a customer in Norwood OH that recieved drywall on flats - these two loads look very similar to those drywall loads. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Southbound CSX local with GP40-2 #6067 and 2 cars (lumber cars hauling tarped non-lumber loads) by MP3 @ 8:45a. They're delivering into the Indpls Industrial Center, building #1 (southwest of Shelby & Troy). Interesting!

I remember seeing something on the CSX internal Gateway about attracting some new business to that location.  I think they've been getting cars for at least 3 to 6 months now? 

Practice Safe CSX

BourdonBoy

• President
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
I remember seeing something on the CSX internal Gateway about attracting some new business to that location.  I think they've been getting cars for at least 3 to 6 months now? 

Practice Safe CSX

During just the past few months I noticed CSX doing work on the interchange track and siding into the Indianapolis Industrial Center, so this indeed must be recent business.  I'm not normally home on Tuesdays so this was a rare move for me to happen to catch.

It's nice to see rail service resuming into this facility, as it clearly had not had any for quite some now.

Tom

BourdonBoy

• President
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Northbound CA is by MP3 at 5:10pm with 2 locos and 20 cars.  Leased loco was in the lead and one of LIRC's GP39-2s trailing (I think it was 2375, was too far away to see through the break in the trees down the block).

holster10

• Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
I saw a few cars parked at that facility back in late January/ early February. 

BourdonBoy

• President
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
Southbound CA is by MP3 at 9:05pm.  Late night today for that crew . . . even with Daylight Savings Time now in effect!

Tom