Author Topic: NKP 765 Official Schedule, News Briefs  (Read 13098 times)

nathansixchime

• Fireman
Re: NKP 765 Official Schedule, News Briefs
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
Links for the news items below are here: http://fortwaynerailroad.org/summer-news-roundup

In the days counting down to the beginning of our excursion season with Norfolk Southern, we’ve released several noteworthy news items and special offerings from the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society. Catch up on our brand new, 92-page souvenir book, upcoming film project, exclusive new member offerings, and our new mobile app with GPS tracking for steam locomotive no. 765.

Mobile App and GPS Tracker for 765

Ever wanted to know exactly where the 765 was? Now you can! For the first time in history, find the 765 anywhere during her 22 trips this year with our brand new mobile app for iPhone and Android phones, complete with a GPS tracker! Click here to learn more.

Documentary Film Project Announced

We’ll be producing a feature length documentary on mainline steam locomotive operation in the 21st Century featuring exclusive content covering the 765 and its crew on the road in 2012 while featuring stories and media from the four decades since the Society was founded. Videographers, photographers, and professional filmmakers are encouraged to submit their media and content for rewards from the Society and we’re even hiring a select few to give them exclusive access to the 765! Click here to learn more!
2012 Excursion Schedule Released

We’ve released the entire 2012 schedule for the 765, including the non-passenger ferry moves from city to city. Some of these trips will take place over several days and across three states, so don’t let any chance to experience the 765 on the mainline pass you by! You can print out the entire schedule here and don’t forget our Annual Open House on September 29th and 30th at our shop in New Haven, Indiana. Keep in mind, the ferry moves don’t run on any particular timetable or schedule, so use our GPS tracker and check Facebook and Twitter and please do rail preservation a favor by respecting private property, railroad property, and fellow fans!

Society Releases New Book

Revisit 40 years of preserving and making history with one of the world’s most exciting time machines! Our 92-page, fully illustrated souvenir book covers a lifetime of the 765′s operations from her 1944 construction, eventual rebirth in 1979, rebuild in 2005, and coverage of the adventures inbetween. Featuring reprinted articles from years of railroad periodicals and in-depth writings and photographs from her crew, celebrate your support of the locomotive with the purchase of Magnificent Machine.

New Membership Offerings

We’ve opened up a brand new members only area of our website where everything we do is documented in detail for our members. Wondering when the 765 will get test fired or when the next volunteer session is? Want to download archival materials or firing manuals? Get advance notice of operations, events, and news items like those you see here with a membership. Levels start at $15.00 and any level or donation over $100.00 gets you a free copy of our brand new book! Learn more about membership offerings here or purchase one today.

How to Rebuild a Berkshire

Nearly 300 photos of the 765′s rebuilding are now online, complete with a blow-by-blow timeline of everything we did to rebuild the 765 from the ground up between 2000 and 2005 after 14 years of excursion service. Ever wanted to rebuild a locomotive? Take a look at the steps we took, dollars spent, and the incredible amounts of volunteer dedication that brought the 765 back to life after 12 years of dormancy.

Listen for the Whistle

We kicked off our 40th year with a brand new video — 40 seconds for 40 years, but every moment counts. If you haven’t seen it, watch it here. If you have, it’s a glimpse of more to come.
Kelly Lynch

Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
www.fortwaynerailroad.org

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
Your not going to have a helicopter following the train are you? Good god, I had to put up with that at a Train festival and it was gosh darn annoying. It should be a documentary from those railfans trackside (no trespassing) and use a good editor to make it look professional.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
Your not going to have a helicopter following the train are you? Good god, I had to put up with that at a Train festival and it was gosh darn annoying. It should be a documentary from those railfans trackside (no trespassing) and use a good editor to make it look professional.

Great idea, but I think we could just do a airplane.

nathansixchime

• Fireman
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »

Choppers are wildly expensive. We may be up in a Cessna at some point, but that's not in the initial plans.
Kelly Lynch

Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
www.fortwaynerailroad.org

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
Choppers are wildly expensive. We may be up in a Cessna at some point, but that's not in the initial plans.
If the 765 were closer to the Indy area on a weekend, I could procure a plane...

And speaking of helicopters, what about snagging a ride on a news copter? They might find it newsworthy to follow the steam engine by air anyway :)
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Oh good gravy. I will have to call the TSA if I see a helicopter following the train saying that it's flying erratic. ;D

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
Oh good gravy. I will have to call the TSA if I see a helicopter following the train saying that it's flying erratic. ;D

I bet I can get a hold of a helicopter.  :P
Prairie Maverick.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
I bet I can get a hold of a helicopter.  :P

*tounge in cheek* And I bet I can get a hold of a stinger missile.....
If in doubt, Notch it out!

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
You aren't going to try to borrow one of the Medivac helicopters that seem to be visiting the Jasper County Hospital more frequent are you?LOL

River Run

• Brakeman
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »
Nothing from Bellevue to Buffalo? Wow...left out again.

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
NKP 765
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
If you are out and about framing photos, video, and train watching this weekend, please be especially courteous of other drivers, respectful of property rights, etc.   If you see someone engaging in foolish behavior, remember this reflects on you, me, and everyone else who cares about railroad heritage.

Should be some great steam action to be had for everyone.

Remember to always keep safety paramount!
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
*tounge in cheek* And I bet I can get a hold of a stinger missile.....

You aren't going to try to borrow one of the Medivac helicopters that seem to be visiting the Jasper County Hospital more frequent are you?LOL

Most likely a nice of BS from me, but don't be surprised if you see one lol.

I talked flight trainer out of the airport in town. His granfather was a yardmaster for nickel plate. I told him about the deadhead through Lafayette and he is quite interested. I asked if we could take out the Cessna and he said he would if only if would keep correct speed. Even if it were going 70-80 it would be troublesome...then he mentioned the possibility of a helicoptor...I was like heyyyy what a grand Idea  Oats, do you know John K.?

I'm gonna guees a 2% chance  :P
Prairie Maverick.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
I guess there was a non NS person who chartered a chopper to follow 765 from Kenova to Williamson
If in doubt, Notch it out!

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Unless John K is a regular at one of our fine drinking establishments in town, then no I have not talked to him.LOL
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:35:46 PM by oat324 »

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 01:14:48 AM »
Unless John K is a regular at one of our fine drinking establishments in town, then no I have not talked to him.LOL

No, he sips hos patron and fine wines at classier establishments than Sprigs :P
Prairie Maverick.

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »
Sprigz was going to be our in between place to go when we have Rensselaer Railfest. :(.LOL

torgy1962

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
From the Horseshoe Curve Chapter NRHS:

"You won’t want to miss this Horseshoe Curve photo opportunity!!
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society Inc. is helping Norfolk Southern celebrate their 30th Anniversary.  You will see No. 765 operating special passenger trains for Norfolk Southern hosting employees and their families across the northern routes of its system.
“Steam around the Curve” will be happening on Aug. 13th and 20th at a time to be announced.
You can purchase a special wristband for $20 (each day) to view this opportunity trackside at the Horseshoe Curve (ticket price includes admission to the Railroaders Memorial Museum, same day).  There is limited space and it will be on a first come, first serve basis (Admission to the top viewing area is limited and not guaranteed).
For more information on this exciting event please contact the Railroaders Memorial Museum at 814-946-0834 or email at admin@railroadcity.com.  Please note there will be no $6 admission fee to the Curve on Aug. 13th and 20th only $20 (to view the 765 at top and museum admission) or $10 to view curve (below) and Museum."

Unless the foliage is suddenly trimmed, the Curve would not be on my list of photo locations!

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
Is 765 supposed to make the deadhead across the Lafayette District on September 6th or 7th?
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

4 down 16 to go.

NSHuntingtonDistrict

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
Is 765 supposed to make the deadhead across the Lafayette District on September 6th or 7th?
September 6th is the run from Fort Wayne to Decatur.
Ten down, ten to go. Or, rather, I've lost track.

bosworthj

• Conductor
  • P42/P40 Collector
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
Is it true that the deadhead move tomorrow from Bellevue to Ft. Wayne will be unprotected (no diesel)?
Without world class trains and internet, Indiana is failing as a sucessful competitor in the 21st Century.