Author Topic: Tower Locations in Indianapolis  (Read 2544 times)

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • I build Civics & Acura ILXs at Honda.
Tower Locations in Indianapolis
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
I've been doing a lot of looking and a lot of research on every tower in Indianapolis. Some I definitely know where they are/were, some I have an idea of where they are (at least in the vicinity of where they were), and I have no idea where they are on the others.

I already know where AN (I think it's in the NW corner between the tracks and 267), Belt Crossing, Dale, Davis, DX, IJ, IU, KD, Kraft, MY, and Woods are.

Beech Grove, Churchman AV., Pine, Thorne, and Van Jct., I still need a little help finding them. I think the Tower for Churchman Av. was on the south side of the tracks and on the east side of the street on Churchman.

Brant, BX, East wood, Ft. Benjamin, Glenn, Mass AV., Mt. Jackson and Westfield, I have no idea. I think I found where Westfield may have been. Just south of the town in this new addition where the Monon Trail runs through. Also followed another ROW that slammed right into it, but the picture I found shows them at somewhat of a 90 degree angle. This looks more like a 70 or 80, give or take.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:11:01 PM by shane_man15 »
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.

IndyKing

• Mogul
Re: Tower Locations in Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
Shane, Thorne was located to the SE of the Franklin Road crossing of the fromer PRR (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.7701973&lon=-86.0259975&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9).

There was also a picture of Van posted somewhere on this forum, not too long ago.
Cheers, Al

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Shane, Thorne was located to the SE of the Franklin Road crossing of the fromer PRR (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.7701973&lon=-86.0259975&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9).
Thanks, sir.

storrs19

• President
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
There's a long thread on Thorne Tower on here somewhere including before and after pictures that Ethan posted.
It sat on the south side of the PRR and the east side of Franklin Road right at the crossing.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

Caylorman

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
I already know where AN (I think it's in the NW corner between the tracks and 267), Belt Crossing, Dale, Davis, DX, IJ, IU, KD, Kraft, MY, and Woods are.

Beech Grove, Churchman AV., Pine, Thorne, and Van Jct., I still need a little help finding them. I think the Tower for Churchman Av. was on the south side of the tracks and on the east side of the street on Churchman.

Brant, BX, East wood, Ft. Benjamin, Glenn, Mass AV., Mt. Jackson and Westfield, I have no idea. I think I found where Westfield may have been. Just south of the town in this new addition where the Monon Trail runs through. Also followed another ROW that slammed right into it, but the picture I found shows them at somewhat of a 90 degree angle. This looks more like a 70 or 80, give or take.

Are you looking for towers or interlockings?  AN never had a tower, it was controlled from MY when the yard was built.

Here's a shot of Mt. Jackson looking east.  There should be a thread on it here, I think.  It was located on the west side of S. Warman Ave., north of the tracks.

http://northamericaninterlockings.com/images/MtJackINeast.jpg?907

E.J.

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Are you looking for towers or interlockings?  AN never had a tower, it was controlled from MY when the yard was built.

Here's a shot of Mt. Jackson looking east.  There should be a thread on it here, I think.  It was located on the west side of S. Warman Ave., north of the tracks.

E.J.
I was using that website to trying piece together some of it. I think I know relatively where some of them are or have it down to as close as I can get it.

The only weird thing about what you said about AN and MY is that I've heard somewhere that there was an AN cabin, but if it's controlled by MY, then I don't think there are anymore questions on it.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
http://www.northamericaninterlockings.com/indiana_10.html

Photos, profile information etc. for almost all the towers you listed

Beech Grove - Located at the east end of Beech Grove Yard. Located where the lead into the "Salt Pile" is now located.

Pine - Cabin where the wye from the Belt intersects the B&O and PRR east of State Street Yard.

Van Jct. - Located just east of Transfer Yard where the wye comes onto the Belt.

Brant - Small 'cabin' style structure where 10th Street crosses the NYC and the P&E Split.  IIRC it was on the east side of the street, and the switch was moved west of 10th St at some point.

BX - Belt Crossing - Foundation is still visible at Belt Crossing

East wood - East End of Brightwood Yard.  It would be approximately at the east end of what is now the Bright Wood Siding.

Ft. Benjamin - Near the overpass for the road out there.  Not good with Street names on the east side.

Glenn - IIRC Glenn would be very close to where the 86th Bridge goes over the NYC near the old Rock Island Refinery.

Mass Ave - Located where the NKP-Monon-NYC came together near the north split of I-70 and I-65.  In fact, one of the photos I've seen shows construction of the interstate in the background.  That construction probably helped eliminate the Tower, and the NX machine was moved to either IU or IJ (probably IU).

Westfield - CI&W crossing the Monon.  

Getting ready to go play ringmaster, otherwise I'd make links to the approximate locations of the towers you listed.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
AN wouldn't have had a need to exist prior to the construction of the yard.  By that time, remote technology was such there wouldn't be a need for a tower at AN.  MY stands for "Mt Jackson".  They moved the telegraph call from Mount Jackson Tower, out to MY when the yard was built and downgraded Westside Yard.

Practice Safe CSX

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
Where was Van Jct?
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
AN wouldn't have had a need to exist prior to the construction of the yard.  By that time, remote technology was such there wouldn't be a need for a tower at AN.  MY stands for "Mt Jackson".  They moved the telegraph call from Mount Jackson Tower, out to MY when the yard was built and downgraded Westside Yard.

Practice Safe CSX
So basically, MY is Mt. Jackson? And if that's the case, were they in the same location?

Where was Van Jct?
It was somewhere very, very close to Woods. At least this is what I am told.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
They just reused the telegraph call. MT Jackson tower was a the west end of the west side yards near warman Ave.

If someone doesn't beat me to it ill link Google maps to th

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
They just reused the telegraph call. MT Jackson tower was a the west end of the west side yards near warman Ave.

If someone doesn't beat me to it ill link Google maps to th
I can't get a target on Google Maps, but it looks to me (from the picture on North American Interlockings) that Mt. Jackson was on the NE Corner between the tracks and Holmes Av.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
Sounds right.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Beech Grove - Located at the east end of Beech Grove Yard. Located where the lead into the "Salt Pile" is now located.

Approximate location: http://goo.gl/maps/QJp4

Pine - Cabin where the wye from the Belt intersects the B&O and PRR east of State Street Yard.

Might even be the foundation visible:

Van Jct. - Located just east of Transfer Yard where the wye comes onto the Belt.

Brant - Small 'cabin' style structure where 10th Street crosses the NYC and the P&E Split.  IIRC it was on the east side of the street, and the switch was moved west of 10th St at some point.

BX - Belt Crossing

I *think* it was located in the NE quad.  Overgrown now.

Churchman Ave

East wood - East End of Brightwood Yard.  It would be approximately at the east end of what is now the Bright Wood Siding.

Ft. Benjamin - Near the overpass for 56th St.  From what I heard, it came out really early on.  Not sure if it was interlocked as part of it, but the Interurban crossed the spur into the Fort too.

Glenn - IIRC Glenn would be very close to where the 86th Bridge goes over the NYC near the old Rock Island Refinery.

Couldn't place this one exactly.  Near as Mr. Maners has found, it is near the present day 86th Street Overpass.

Mass Ave - Located where the NKP-Monon-NYC came together near the north split of I-70 and I-65.  

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
Where was Van Jct?
It was somewhere very, very close to Woods. At least this is what I am told.

My understanding was that Van Jct was a bit further South, at a point near where the Caven Industrial Track joins the belt.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.7465437&lon=-86.1817909&z=18&l=0&m=s

I think there was a picture of it on this forum not so long ago.
Cheers, Al

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »
There was a tower there, but I believe it was called "Caven".  It stemmed from when the PRR originally crossed the Belt and continued on up to Union Station. 

The switch off the Belt towards Transfer Yard is still called "Van Junction" to this day.

Unfortunately, Mr. Maners doesn't have a shot of the tower at Caven on his site yet.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »
I can't get a target on Google Maps, but it looks to me (from the picture on North American Interlockings) that Mt. Jackson was on the NE Corner between the tracks and Holmes Av.

NW corner of Warman and the 'alley' there. 

Compare:

http://www.northamericaninterlockings.com/images/MtJackINeast.jpg?907

To this:

http://goo.gl/maps/omXz

Spur to the fuel oil dealer is still in the pavement at Holmes Ave.  House color has changed a bit, as has the porch, but MY was at Warman Ave.

Practice Safe CSX

shane_man15

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »
BX - Belt Crossing

I *think* it was located in the NE quad.  Overgrown now.

Unless Mr. Maners messed up somewhere, the location you gave me is where Belt Crossing tower was. Not saying you are wrong by any means, but something seems fishy about about having BX in the same location as Belt Crossing.

Belt Crossing and BX have the same architectural styles, but different entrance stops.

As can be seen, BX's is on the long side...

http://www.northamericaninterlockings.com/images/bxIN.jpg?38

Whereas, Belt Crossing's is on the short side...

http://www.northamericaninterlockings.com/images/beltxingIN.jpg?706

If they are the same thing, is there a chance that one burnt down or was severely damaged?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »
Ok, I see where I made my error.  BX is where CP 1 is today. I knew BX stood for "Belt Crossing" just didn't put 'two and two' together that they were separate towers. 

Practice Safe CSX

IndyHog

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »
Are you looking for towers or interlockings?  AN never had a tower, it was controlled from MY when the yard was built.

Here's a shot of Mt. Jackson looking east.  There should be a thread on it here, I think.  It was located on the west side of S. Warman Ave., north of the tracks.

E.J.

Pretty neat view of a tower before my time. You can see Sankee Hill Yard to the right. Just west of Westside Yd.  The white building to the right is a tavern which still exists to this day as far as I know.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:55:35 AM by IndyHog »
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......