Author Topic: "B&O" wide vision caboose in Greencastle  (Read 2618 times)

css2005

"B&O" wide vision caboose in Greencastle
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »
I was southeast of Indianapolis on business last Saturday (March 3rd) and took the scenic route back home. Going through Greencastle, IN on CSXT– Great Lakes Division – Lafayette Sub - Crawfordsville, IN to Cloverdale, IN (ex-L&N/Monon) in the vicinity of Elizabeth Street and Jackson Street on the north side of downtown is the ‘Monon Restaurant’ on the north side of the tracks located on the west side of highway US 231. Directly opposite the restaurant on the south side of tracks is a very short siding upon which rests a caboose in good paint, self contained generator, rooftop AC units and what appears to be HEP cables on one end!

BGFX caboose 1971 – B&O blue with yellow B&O markings, named "J.J. Hunter" on cupola

Does anyone here have more information on this caboose? I **assume** it has a connection to the restaurant?

(To the north of this spot US 231 goes under CSXT’s ex-CR/PC/NYC Avon, IN to Terre Haute, IN mainline. There is a connection between the Monon and NYC in the vicinity as well.)

WD4USA

Re: "B&O" wide vision caboose in Greencastle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »
Please go to this URL address for "the rest of the story".  http://www.cedarridgehome.com/home/airy-knob-farm-of-greencastle-in

The really pertinent part is excerpted (and edited for brevity) below:

"Vic’s father, J. J. (John Joseph) Hunter was a conductor on the B&O Railroad living in Garret, Indiana and his conductor's uniform is preserved and on display, complete with hat and satchel.  ...   The show stealing piece in Vic's railroad collection is actually kept off site.  If you have ever traveled into Greencastle from the north end of town you will see an iconic blue caboose with "J.J. Hunter" emblazoned in gold letters on the side.  This caboose belonged to Vic's father and now enjoys it's retirement years alongside the tracks on the Monon railway corridor."  ...on a siding just opposite what used to be the "Monon Grill".
Jeff, WD4USA

High_Hood

• Engineer

WD4USA

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
HIGH_HOOD, TNX FR the URL correction!  Not sure how I chopped off the end.  :-[
Jeff, WD4USA

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »
I was just over there this past weekend.  The Monon Grill building is now an antique store, or something of the sort.

-- Russ

noname

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
That's new then.  I was in Greencastle a couple months ago or so and it was still vacant then.  (I'm back in Florida now.)  I'd love to have that caboose.  Or almost any other for that matter!  Want to put it in the back yard and use for a guest house.  I have room and the wife is on board with it too!  She's a keeper!
Best, Jeff