Author Topic: How the Nickel Plate Express is Helping Small Towns  (Read 695 times)

laker2555

• Conductor
How the Nickel Plate Express is Helping Small Towns
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:28:47 AM »
The Indy Star had an article on the Nickel Plate Express this morning on how itís helping area businesses. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2019/01/29/how-nickel-plate-expres-helping-small-towns-hamilton-county/2593866002/

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:18:44 PM by laker2555 »

danielm75

• Fireman
Re: How the Nickel Plate Express is Helping Small Towns
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
It's like ITM never exhisted.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »
It's like ITM never existed.

Setting aside all the problems at ITM, it looks like more people in those little towns might now be willing to put forth an effort and give train riders some reason to visit. When we were running the Hoosier Heartland Special I commented to our Visitors Services Manager that people with businesses in Cicero, Arcadia and Atlanta opened in those towns because they wanted to operate on their own schedules. They did not want to be in a mall or strip center where the lease dictated their days and hours.

I wish them all well.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
I will curious to see how this turns out and wish them all the well - something running is better than nothing.

With that said the article really doesn't have anything as the only business profiting here are the ones owned and ran by Mr Muffin.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Hopefully others will open more business in that area other than Mr Nelson. There is the opportunity to developers Atlanta area into something here. And I agree, something running, along with a train store and awsome layout is better than any walking trail