Author Topic: NKP Trail Updates  (Read 22122 times)

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
Re: NKP Trail Updates
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2019, 12:48:56 PM »
Cost you Hamilton County residents more and more every time you champion someone to come swooping in and ďsaveĒ the line.  Costs money to talk to the STB.  At least if you want to do it Coherently.

Filings will still happen even with a sale.  Have to get the line un-abandoned in the eyes of the STB.
They could stop all their activities, sell the line, and walk away with cash to pay down the cities debt. Not to mention they would actually have someone paying property taxes long term...

Letís not forget too that it was the city of Fishers that first started to spend the cities funds on this, they could have met with interested parties privately and sold that route. I doubt it will go down this way, but should US Rail prevail in this, itís a much better outcome financially. The cost of the STB process is at least much less than the trail that they havenít even told us what it will end up costing.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
They could stop all their activities, sell the line, and walk away with cash to pay down the cities debt. Not to mention they would actually have someone paying property taxes long term...

So what happens in the likely event US Rail canít make a go of it? Donít forget their track record wasnít the best, and the true knowledge base has passed on.  Sold to a less than scrupulous group.  You honestly think theyíre going to make money on a 35 mile line with 3 possible customers, and no current connection?

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
Lets not forget that the only reason this line has no connections at either end is because HHPA allowed it only to doom this line from the start. Weither we say they are looking out for the best of the line for trail or rail they have lost their direction for business. For all who own it I think they need to worry about their local government needs for tax payer and sell it . If USRAIL makes it or not its their problem not taxpayers. Ego's  of elected officials should not be for pet projects with Carmel dreams!

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Lets not forget that the only reason this line has no connections at either end is because HHPA allowed it only to doom this line from the start. Weither we say they are looking out for the best of the line for trail or rail they have lost their direction for business. For all who own it I think they need to worry about their local government needs for tax payer and sell it . If USRAIL makes it or not its their problem not taxpayers. Ego's  of elected officials should not be for pet projects with Carmel dreams!

Line was considered abandoned. The fact service remained as long as it did us a minor miracle.  Since it was abandoned in the eyes of the STB, HHPA really didnít have to keep the connection.  Plus, with it being insular, kept it exempt from a lot of FRA regulations.  Being connected was s double edged sword.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
This was filed on April 24, 2019.  I didn't see any mention of it here so I figured I'd post it.
It's a letter from First Transit, Inc. in support of US Rail's recent motion to the STB.

https://www.stb.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/91195cd396751db1852583e6006c06e7/$FILE/247580.pdf

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »
Looking at First Transit website and found that they have a contract with Indygo . Now looking at this and what business they do it brings to question that passenger rail through them is a possibility. With them filing to with STB along Us rail could make things interesting . Mass transit with private company and how much traffic is in this area its a no brainer with little or now tax payers money will make voters second guess trail.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »
Looking at First Transit website and found that they have a contract with Indygo . Now looking at this and what business they do it brings to question that passenger rail through them is a possibility. With them filing to with STB along Us rail could make things interesting . Mass transit with private company and how much traffic is in this area its a no brainer with little or now tax payers money will make voters second guess trail.

How many people need to go from locations along the IMC to other locations on the IMC and/or downtown?  One problem with Indy is downtown isnít that ďjob centricĒ like Chicago, New York, etc.  seems like everyone in Indy lives in one suburb and works in another.

Their filing says they want to connect to Union Station and AMTRAK.  Guess they missed the state killing funding, and only going to have tri-weekly service now.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »
How many people need to go from locations along the IMC to other locations on the IMC and/or downtown?  One problem with Indy is downtown isnít that ďjob centricĒ like Chicago, New York, etc.  seems like everyone in Indy lives in one suburb and works in another.

Their filing says they want to connect to Union Station and AMTRAK.  Guess they missed the state killing funding, and only going to have tri-weekly service now.

Theoretically, there may be a place for private passenger rail to make a go of it. Amtrak has a fairly poor vision and has for years, as it persists in long haul passenger like the freight routes, but that service is absolutely outclassed by air travel. However there may be a market for intermediate length routes that could compete with the puddle jumpers, because those puddle jumpers spend so much time in the terminal waiting to takeoff or taxi to the terminal after landing that the door is open for intermediate rail routes if they can keep to a consistent timetable. That said, if something like that ever took off, a connection to union station could be a big deal.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »
This was filed on April 24, 2019.  I didn't see any mention of it here so I figured I'd post it.
It's a letter from First Transit, Inc. in support of US Rail's recent motion to the STB.

https://www.stb.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/91195cd396751db1852583e6006c06e7/$FILE/247580.pdf

While this does look promising, i see another side to this. I hope im wrong. Looking on first transit's website, they do anything but light rail, unless i missed something while i was glancing at the page.

This may sound dumb, but what if they have interest on behalf of US rail in order to preserve this for a BRT route? Dont get me wrong, it would be great if they did light rail as a team. However a bus company stepping in on this mess smells like **** a little bit. Even though the filing does not say this, can that be just for vanity? Then all the sudden they come up with a plan B that was "low key" plan A all along?
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »

IndyGo can't even run the bus system currently in place. I can't even fathom them working in an area dealing with rail.

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »

Interesting....Is there a deadset date for an STB decision on this?  A lot of grumbling up here that they haven't removed the stop signs yet for the tracks.  I'm very aware they(City of Fishers) can't until the STB makes its final decision.   

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »
On another note....I also did notice that the crossing protection at 96th st has been damaged by an accident....are the gates still maintained by anyone since its not officially "dead"?

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »
On another note....I also did notice that the crossing protection at 96th st has been damaged by an accident....are the gates still maintained by anyone since its not officially "dead"?

My guess would be to contact HHPA as they are the ones who own the track still...

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
Based on the election results from yesterday, although the Save The Nickel Plate group was more vocal regarding their position, a majority of Fishers residents (at least those who voted), are either for the Nickel Plate Trail or they do not care one way or the other.  Either way, it doesn't appear Save The Nickel Plate had the amount of support from Fishers residents that they thought they had.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

Unfortunately, I hear the fat lady warming up!

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
Yes, and it's too bad that the song she's about to sing is full of sour notes!

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
Wonder what the plans are for the "stub" from 38th Street to 10th Street?  If there is going to be a trail, it would be most functional if it extended down to Sutherland and directly intersected with the Monon instead of stopping at 39th.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
Terrible loss for Central Indiana.

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
DPW needs to worry about the roads not trails . The cities crime out of control but yet bikes before crime.